Auburn inTop 15 Playoff Rankings

toddc

10 hours ago, DAG said:

They should not be over Cincy . This is why I am all in for playoffs expansion. 

Isn't it sad that we have to support expanding the playoffs because we know we can't trust humans to just do the right thing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

committee wants Bama in the CFP so the #2 ranking ensures that even if Bama loses to UGA in the SECC, they’ll still get in with 2 losses

No team that loses their conference championship game AND has 2 losses is getting in. There will be too many teams with 1 loss that will jump them. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

If that ain't favoritism, I don't know what is.

No way is Michigan State's lossless record which includes a top -10 win worse than Bama's which includes a loss to a then-unranked A&M. But of course they will always frame it as a loss to a "top-15 A&M"

And of course no love for Cincinnati despite beating Notre Dame. Yes, I also think ND is overrated, but clearly intellectual consistency isn't a feature amidst the committee.

Agree with you on MSU.  They should have been 2.  2/3 probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but you can't even use the eye test with Bama.  They barely beat a 4-4 UF, struggled with a bad UT team, and beat the #15 team.  MSU has the best win and no losses.  If your switched Bama's logo with any other team, they wouldn't be ranked 2.

I think Bama is still good, but they are no where near their typical level of their championship teams.

We have this moaning every year at this time. Then November plays out and it turns out that four is plenty of spots.

And... If AU wins out we are in.  Wins at the end of the season over UAT and UGA could not be ignored.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, DAG said:

That is not exactly true. A big ten champion will get in. UGA will get in with an SEC loss, Oregon will get in if they win out. Now you have to ask, what IF UC wins out? OU wins out? There is still a 1 loss big ten team? It is not a clear thing that we will get in. We could for sure cause chaos which is what most of the nation wants.  

Seems clear to me.

1. B1G Champion 13-0 MSU

2. PAC Champion 12-1 Oregon

3. SEC Champion 11-2 Auburn

4. SEC Runner Up 12-1 UGA

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I honestly don't understand why they don't use the BCS calculations with the playoffs.  I'm sure if you went back the top 4 was pretty solid in the BCS Era.  Auburn's only path to the playoffs is to win the SEC I think.  Bama is good but they aren't good good like they've been in years past.  Until someone proves otherwise I'm not sure there is a team that can stay within 10 pts of UGA.  Texas A&M is a good team.  It would be good to see Cincy make the playoffs just to appease some people and see how they do against the big boys in a post season game that matters.  I'm sure something will happen to flip this on its head in the next couple weeks.  There's always that one weekend of chaos and carnage.

When the playoffs began I was under the impression the BCS calculations were going to be used. Confused as to why that needed to be changed. 

Edited by AU80cruiser

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Isn't it sad that we have to support expanding the playoffs because we know we can't trust humans to just do the right thing.

It is pretty bad and sadly they will get screwed. No way in heck should Alabama be #2. I don't care if it is the first ranking or not.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Seems clear to me.

1. B1G Champion 13-0 MSU

Again, you let a two loss team jump a couple of undefeated teams you lose credibility. If wake, Cincy and OU goes undefeated and win their conference, IMO they deserve a spot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Seems clear to me.

1. B1G Champion 13-0 MSU

That would be wild.  Say this scenario plays out, and Auburn beats Oregon and UGA beats MSU.  That means we play UGA three times in one season...

• Like 1

Also, I don't know if anybody picked up on this but all three coaches of the other 3 of four playoff teams were on NS's 2015 coaching staff. That is amazing. 

• Like 1

I understand that some are saying that Cincy getting jumped isn’t fair but there is no way they keep out the SEC champion  if Auburn wins out and that’s a big if. I don’t honk 2 losses is the max to make it. Auburn will have the stronger resume. Unfortunately for Cincy they have played like crap the last two weeks and IMO it’s easy to get up for one big game vs several big games.

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also, I don't know if anybody picked up on this but all three coaches of the other 3 of four playoff teams were on NS's 2015 coaching staff. That is amazing. 

Plus that staff had Kiffen and Napier. 

I hate Bama. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

Again, you let a two loss team jump a couple of undefeated teams you lose credibility. If wake, Cincy and OU goes undefeated and win their conference, IMO they deserve a spot. 

Sorry, it was a bit of sarcasm/praying.  I don't think this really happens,  (Stephen A Smith meme) BUT....

ACC is terrible and Wake has played a lot of terrible teams.  I don't think they end the season undefeated & Pitt would probably beat them in the ACCCG

OU is equally terrible and will get the "eye test".  They have scraped by everyone, nearly losing almost every game.  They'll have 0 good wins a year end....maybe 1 in OSU  They will be punished for that.

Cincy will probably be 5th.  Deserving?  Meh, maybe.  They'll have 1 OKish win vs a not good Notre Dame.  They will most likely not get a chance over a P5 school Conf Champ or if there is some 1 loss team.

Hypothetically if Auburn wins out they will easily have the best multiple wins of any of the 3 teams above w/ a win over #1 UGA, Win over #2 Alabama, and multiple wins that equals any of Cincy's single best win (State/Ole Miss/Aggies) all ranked similarly to ND.  3>1.  If Auburn beats Alabama, they enter Championship week either 4-6th setting us up to easily jump anyone in front of us w/ a win of 12-0 #1 UGA.

I think the idea of "you're undefeated" doesn't carry as much weight, especially when SOS is taken into account & looking at victories vs others.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Sorry, it was a bit of sarcasm/praying.  I don't think this really happens,  (Stephen A Smith meme) BUT....

ACC is terrible and Wake has played a lot of terrible teams.  I don't think they end the season undefeated & Pitt would probably beat them in the ACCCG

OU is equally terrible and will get the "eye test".  They have scraped by everyone, nearly losing almost every game.  They'll have 0 good wins a year end....maybe 1 in OSU  They will be punished for that.

Cincy will probably be 5th.  Deserving?  Meh, maybe.  They'll have 1 OKish win vs a not good Notre Dame.  They will most likely not get a chance over a P5 school Conf Champ or if there is some 1 loss team.

Hypothetically if Auburn wins out they will easily have the best multiple wins of any of the 3 teams above w/ a win over #1 UGA, Win over #2 Alabama, and multiple wins that equals any of Cincy's single best win (State/Ole Miss/Aggies) all ranked similarly to ND.  3>1.  If Auburn beats Alabama, they enter Championship week either 4-6th setting us up to easily jump anyone in front of us w/ a win of 12-0 #1 UGA.

I think the idea of "you're undefeated" doesn't carry as much weight, especially when SOS is taken into account & looking at victories vs others.

I guess my question is what is the justification of Bama being ahead of an undefeated Michigan state? To me, that is a lot of trying to rationalize why a two loss team should jump Both a non power 5 and power 5 undefeated squad, who also won their conferences. I mean I am not going to cry if Auburn gets into the playoffs, but I absolutely would understand the bias and uproar that would come from that. 

and if something like that did happen , I don’t want to hear a single soul ever complain about how unfair it is that we have to play Bama and UGA every year , because that is essentially the argument that is being made lol. Yeah you lose to an unranked penn state team but you beat Bama and uga . 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Having the playoff should mean that undefeated teams don't get the shaft like Auburn did in 2004. But just several years in and we can already see that Cincy, unless they get a lot of help, will be shafted if they go undefeated. It's BS and another reason why preseason ranking suck ass.

I understand what you’re saying but is Cincy’s strength of schedule anything close to what AU played in ‘04?  I ask because that is supposed to be one of the deterring factors. 

• Thanks 1

Also, I am not impressed with Oregon. Not even a little bit. They beat tOSU (Who we do not even know how good they are) and have one of the weakest Power 5 conference schedules with a loss to a terrible team. Yet they are in the top four because they supposedly have "the best win." I guess losses don't matter to either them or Bama. 

12 hours ago, DAG said:

That is not exactly true. A big ten champion will get in. UGA will get in with an SEC loss, Oregon will get in if they win out. Now you have to ask, what IF UC wins out? OU wins out? There is still a 1 loss big ten team? It is not a clear thing that we will get in. We could for sure cause chaos which is what most of the nation wants.  

It can be done.  AU beats #14 atm, #17 MSU, #2 Bama in route to ATL to beat #1 UGA winning the SEC!  Auburn would be the first 2 loss team to make the CFP, hands down.  We'd have the #1 SOS and damn sure will have passed the "Eye Test" the committee loves while knocking off #1 & #2 teams back to back.  We'd be in the top 4 mix and no other team in the country could possibly boast a stronger finish than AU.

Imagine the whining and gnashing of teeth for the college football world. It's all attainable and right in front of us and it all starts Saturday.  :wareagle:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

It can be done.  AU beats #14 atm, #17 MSU, #2 Bama in route to ATL to beat #1 UGA winning the SEC!  Auburn would be the first 2 loss team to make the CFP, hands down.  We'd have the #1 SOS and damn sure will have passed the "Eye Test" the committee loves while knocking off #1 & #2 teams back to back.  We'd be in the top 4 mix and no other team in the country could possibly boast a stronger finish than AU.

Imagine the whining and gnashing of teeth for the college football world. It's all attainable and right in front of us and it all starts Saturday.  :wareagle:

Of course it can be done. The question is the justification of it. It will be a huge determinant and precedent set by the committee. Hopefully, we get an expansion here soon.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Of course it can be done. The question is the justification of it. It will be a huge determinant and precedent set by the committee. Hopefully, we get an expansion here soon.

Auburn would move up in the rankings after beating #14 aTm, then move up or stay the same after beating #17 MSU, then move into the top 6-7 after beating #2 Bama.... Then move solidly into the top 4 after beating #1 UGA and winning the SEC.  Precedent be damned, Auburn would've accomplished the seemingly impossible and the justification is that the SEC Champ's are never left out and especially after they beat the #1 ranked team to win the conference. 

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

Auburn would move up in the rankings after beating #14 aTm, then move up or stay the same after beating #17 MSU, then move into the top 6-7 after beating #2 Bama.... Then move solidly into the top 4 after beating #1 UGA and winning the SEC.  Precedent be damned, Auburn would've accomplished the seemingly impossible and the justification is that the SEC Champ's are never left out and especially after they beat the #1 ranked team to win the conference. 

First off Bama has no business being #2. Tell me your justification for Bama being #2? Your whole argument is pretty much based on us beating Bama and UGA. UGA is incredible and that will be an amazing feat. Bama, although talented, has not looked that great. Their best victory is against Ole Miss. You are also discounting our one loss against a now unranked Penn State. Same thing with the Aggies. They are solely riding on the fact that they beat Bama. Did we forget they loss to both Miss state and Arkansas. They also struggled against a poor Colorado squad? Now all of a sudden they are the hottest team in the nation because they beat Bama and two bad sec east teams. Look, I am not opposed to Auburn making the playoffs. I think we have a strong case if we win out. My issue is how much our fanbase is discounted other factors and being hypocritical in their stance. 

Edited by DAG

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

First off Bama has no business being #2. Tell me your justification for Bama being #2? Your whole argument is pretty much based on us beating Bama and UGA. UGA is incredible and that will be an amazing feat. Bama, although talented, has not looked that great. Their best victory is against Ole Miss. You are also discounting our one loss against a now unranked Penn State. Same thing with the Aggies. They are solely riding on the fact that they beat Bama. Did we forget they loss to both Miss state and Arkansas. They also struggled against a poor Colorado squad? Now all of a sudden they are the hottest team in the nation because they beat Bama and a bad Missouri team. Look, I am not opposed to Auburn making the playoffs. I think we have a strong case if we win out. My issue is how much our fanbase is discounted other factors and being hypocritical in their stance. 

IMO Bama shouldn't be #2, but they are right now and if AU beats them in a few weeks it's an accomplishment that justifies moving AU up in the polls. 

There's no point in going back & forth on this anyway.  I just know IF Auburn wins the SEC I don't see how anyone can justify leaving them out of the team of 4 in the CFP.

These rankings are worthless right now anyway as there's still a lot of football left to be played in bloodbath November. 

Here's to taking care of business at aTm. 🍻

Edited by keesler

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

IMO Bama shouldn't be #2, but they are right now and if AU beats them in a few weeks it's an accomplishment that justifies moving AU up in the polls. 

So you have no justification for them being #2 but that justifies Auburn jumping undefeated teams if we beat them? lol. Again, I am not oppose to Auburn making the playoffs if we win out. I think we have a pretty good argument, but the opposing arguments would be just as strong IMO. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I guess my question is what is the justification of Bama being ahead of an undefeated Michigan state?

As of today, I 100% agree with you.  MSU shouldn't be 3.  They have a better resume, better win, etc over Bama.  I think that was a bad move by the committee.  I don't usually watch the release show, but was killing time before the WS, and most all of the talking heads on ESPN agree.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

To me, that is a lot of trying to rationalize why a two loss team should jump Both a non power 5 and power 5 undefeated squad, who also won their conferences. I mean I am not going to cry if Auburn gets into the playoffs, but I absolutely would understand the bias and uproar that would come from that. 

For this part, this was hypothetically 6 weeks from now with a lot more games played/marque wins/etc.  Right now no 2 loss team should be up in the top 10 or jump anyone.  But if a there was a 2 loss team that had 1 loss vs #1, but ended up beating #1/#2 and 3 teams ranked in the 15s...I think that would allow them to jump a team that one a single game vs #15...no matter how many losses they have.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

and if something like that did happen , I don’t want to hear a single soul ever complain about how unfair it is that we have to play Bama and UGA every year , because that is essentially the argument that is being made lol. Yeah you lose to an unranked penn state team but you beat Bama and uga .

It's tough playing tough teams but you're right.  It's a huge benefit too.  It's basically the 2017 season but we finished vs losing in the SECCG.  Lost to Clemson early.  Lost to LSU, then won out.  If we won out then, we would have been in and Bama out.  Bama won the natty that year

• Like 2

The "Committee" is made up of 13 randoms that have no possible way of watching +100 hrs of college games every weekend.  Who chooses these people?

Mitch Barnhart - Kentucky AD

Gary Barta - Iowa AD

Paola Boivin >>>> Arizona State professor???? WTH?

Tom Burman - Wyoming AD

Charlie Cobb - GaState AD

Boo Corrigan - Colorado AD

Will Shields- FORMER Nebraska  offensive lineman?? 

Gene Taylor - Kansas State AD

Joe Taylor - Virginia Union University (WHO?)  Vice President for Athletics and "Community Wellness"   WTH??

John Urschel - FORMER  Penn State offensive lineman?? 

Rod West - Group President of ENTERGY CORPORATION?  WTH??

Tyrone Willingham (LOL) Former HC of Stanford/Notre Dame/Washington LOL

So we have AD's, a few former players AND the Group President of an energy company!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2