Been a while my thoughts

austudnt23

2 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

UGA's offenses haven't blown people away since Kirby's been there. This year their defense has been at an elite level and have allowed their offense to just bludgeon teams and wear them down and pull away in games giving them lopsided wins.

Louisiana's offense has scored at least 31 ppg each year under Napier. They currently have the 13th best defense in the country giving up 18.5 ppg.

Louisiana beat Liberty 42-14 two weeks ago. That was the worst loss Liberty's had this year. Ole Miss beat Liberty 27-14 despite having a highly touted offense under Lane Kiffin.

Right, they beat Liberty 42-14. Other wins this season:

21-16 vs. 4-8 UL Monroe

28-27 vs. 2-10 Arky State

20-18 vs. 5-7 South Alabama

28-20 vs. 3-9 Georgia Southern

27-24 vs. 6-5 Nicholls (this is an FCS team - the only other FBS team they played was Memphis, and Memphis crushed them 42-17).

They were also in a last-minute dogfight against Georgia State too (albeit Georgia State almost beat us). I won't talk too much about the Texas loss, but Texas won by such a margin that it actually had people fooled that they were "back". Of course, we now know that Texas was NOT a good team this year. 

Like I said, his teams win games, but they play a frightening amount of close games - some of which they were outright on upset alert in for long portions of game time - against teams that "should be" less talented than them. His teams seem to lack focus and can play down to the opposition, which isn't something you expect to see in year #4 of "building the program". 

We'll see how he fares. I don't understand your comparison to Kirby Smart, who is a legitimately elite defensive coach.

• Thanks 1

Napier got's the best talent in the Sun Belt comparative to all the other teams in the conference but we're still talking about mostly 2* and a few 3* players. He's not taking SEC level talent and barely beating other teams in the Sun Belt. This notion that he should be blowing everyone in the Sun Belt out 40-7 each week or else that proves he's not a good coach are ridiculous.

They beat Iowa State last year who finished in the top 10 last year. If he wasn't a good coach they wouldn't have won that game. He's had unprecedented success at Louisiana. He's built that program.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Laughed out of town? He started the interview saying he wanted 6 million and that was firm. AU said, thanks but no thanks. Let's don't be disingenuous here. 

Have they said how much UF offered him?

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Napier got's the best talent in the Sun Belt comparative to all the other teams in the conference but we're still talking about mostly 2* and a few 3* players. He's not taking SEC level talent and barely beating other teams in the Sun Belt. This notion that he should be blowing everyone in the Sun Belt out 40-7 each week or else that proves he's not a good coach are ridiculous.

They beat Iowa State last year who finished in the top 10 last year. If he wasn't a good coach they wouldn't have won that game. He's had unprecedented success at Louisiana. He's built that program.

I think if it had not been this year he wouldn’t have gotten the offer from Florida. May turn out to be a great coach but it is a reach by Florida IMO.

• 2 months later...

At least we know Kiffin hates Saban and knows something about Offense. 

Plus, when we need to get rid of him, he'll definitely have done something to support a 'for cause' firing.

Sign me up and pass the bottle.   

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

At least we know Kiffin hates Saban and knows something about Offense. 

Plus, when we need to get rid of him, he'll definitely have done something to support a 'for cause' firing.

Sign me up and pass the bottle.   

I think if we need a coach, Kiffin is the one to go for.