So explain to me

Eagle Eye 7

Why we continued the game with a QB that was noticeably injured and not capable of really going against one of the best teams in the country and we didn’t sub him. We have Loy  on the sideline, who is a 6th year QB that started at Mass. and has been at AU for two years, often in the #2 spot? I mean there is just no way I believe a limp TJ is a better choice than Loy who knows the system better than TJ. That was the first bonehead decision for Harsin. Second bad decision was to go for one after the TD in first OT. I mean we know at that point, the longer we go, the more likely UAt wins because our guys have played their mitts off all night. And for any nay sayers, the very next play in the game was AU going for two in the third OT and making it. Had we done that one play early we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I don’t have an answer no, other than I fully believe Harsin and every person on the AU sideline wanted to win that game and would have made any move necessary if they thought it would make the difference. I realize the optics look bad and I’m as frustrated as anyone, but there has to be a logical reason why an injured TJ was deemed our best option. 

• Like 4

My guess is they didn't have faith in Loy to field snaps cleanly and/or DD really isn't ready for this complex offense/SEC level speed yet.

• Like 1

No way in H3LL i'd trust Loy over a one leg TJ. Loy would've gotten killed. I thought they may have tried to play DD in certain situations; option to see how he does. But you don't want the first action DD has to be against Bama who's down in the game. We just had no one else to go to. 

It’s sad if Loy is deemed to be this bad. Why is he on the team then. TJ did absolutely nothing until overtime. I find it hard to believe that Loy can’t come in and hand the ball or run a few draws. Bama had to at least respect him because he is healthy. Bama was stuffing Tank because TJ wasn’t a threat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I don’t have an answer no, other than I fully believe Harsin and every person on the AU sideline wanted to win that game and would have made any move necessary if they thought it would make the difference. I realize the optics look bad and I’m as frustrated as anyone, but there has to be a logical reason why an injured TJ was deemed our best option. 

If it was then Harsin failed his job. A head coaches job during the year is to train his players. He had all year and no answer? He said going in Loy would be the back up. It was clear TJ became a handicap to the team after his injury. 

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Why we continued the game with a QB that was noticeably injured and not capable of really going against one of the best teams in the country and we didn’t sub him. We have Loy  on the sideline, who is a 6th year QB that started at Mass. and has been at AU for two years, often in the #2 spot? I mean there is just no way I believe a limp TJ is a better choice than Loy who knows the system better than TJ. That was the first bonehead decision for Harsin. Second bad decision was to go for one after the TD in first OT. I mean we know at that point, the longer we go, the more likely UAt wins because our guys have played their mitts off all night. And for any nay sayers, the very next play in the game was AU going for two in the third OT and making it. Had we done that one play early we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Good luck speaking reason to this board right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

It’s sad if Loy is deemed to be this bad. Why is he on the team then. TJ did absolutely nothing until overtime. I find it hard to believe that Loy can’t come in and hand the ball or run a few draws. Bama had to at least respect him because he is healthy. Bama was stuffing Tank because TJ wasn’t a threat.

Exactly . Remember Loy was considered the back up to Nix last year by Gus and was announced as the back up for the first games this year over TJ. So what gives. 🤔

20 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

No way in H3LL i'd trust Loy over a one leg TJ. Loy would've gotten killed. I thought they may have tried to play DD in certain situations; option to see how he does. But you don't want the first action DD has to be against Bama who's down in the game. We just had no one else to go to. 

I sincerely wonder how bad some of you would have needed TJ to be hurt to admit he shouldn't be in.

Does he need to have a compound fracture? Or a massive concussion? Like, it's okay to admit TJ was too injured to play and we had no contingency for if he got hurt.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I'm guessing you've never seen him in action.

Yes I saw him in action. He has come in to a couple of games last year. Remember he played QB at Massachusites . Not the SEC but I’m pretty sure he could field the snap. 

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes I saw him in action. He has come in to a couple of games last year. Remember he played QB at Massachusites . Not the SEC but I’m pretty sure he could field the snap. 

The biggest thing is that he would have allowed for the illusion of a passing threat. 

TJ was so clearly hobbled, and his first two passes were intercepted. Alabama then smelled blood in the water. They stacked the box and dared us to throw. Game was over at that point because they knew we were dead in the water.

I stand corrected after looking back . Loy QB for Bowling Green in 2019 . Thru for 1100+ yards and ran for another 437. Last year he served as the the back up for Nix all year. 6’4” 220. Converted a two point play last year at Kentucky. Saying he wasn’t better than TJ last night is a frigging joke. TJ was walking on his heel the whole time he was in. I’m not knocking TJ but after Nix went out they should have had Loy or DD ready for duty last night. What happened if TJ had broke his leg ? We’re they going to ask for permission to let TJ or Bo to play in a wheel chair . We pay these coaches a lot of money and they haven’t done their job. Period. 

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I sincerely wonder how bad some of you would have needed TJ to be hurt to admit he shouldn't be in.

Does he need to have a compound fracture? Or a massive concussion? Like, it's okay to admit TJ was too injured to play and we had no contingency for if he got hurt.

I agree 100% we should have been more prepared should TJ have gotten hurt. From the decisions that the staff made, it does seem like the aforementioned would've had to happen for them to not play TJ. They clearly made zero effort to replace him so i think that in itself says a lot as to how the staff was thinking. To me it says that Loy IS as bad as i think he is and they simply didn't want to put a freshman in DD in a position of his first action being the Iron Bowl. 

No, he shouldn't have been in but we didn't have anyone else prepared. And he almost STILL beat Bama playing on one leg. So it seems the staff made the right decision.

The better question is why Finley didn’t have more short/quick pass plays or, if he did, why he wasn’t pulling the trigger faster.

all day he seemed to not trust the reads or just held on to the ball too long. Also seemed to be looking for the deep pass and not the short stuff.

• Like 1

Loy saw his most action before he became starter was Bowling Green at ND.  He started a few games at BG before grad transfer here.  Only Harsin knows why he didn’t put Loy in yesterday.  

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I agree 100% we should have been more prepared should TJ have gotten hurt. From the decisions that the staff made, it does seem like the aforementioned would've had to happen for them to not play TJ. They clearly made zero effort to replace him so i think that in itself says a lot as to how the staff was thinking. To me it says that Loy IS as bad as i think he is and they simply didn't want to put a freshman in DD in a position of his first action being the Iron Bowl. 

No, he shouldn't have been in but we didn't have anyone else prepared. And he almost STILL beat Bama playing on one leg. So it seems the staff made the right decision.

We lost a game where we just needed a couple first downs in the last 11 minutes. I don't think it was the right decision at all. I fault the staff for not being ready for a clearly plausible scenario of your QB getting hurt.

39 yards in the 4th quarter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We lost a game where we just needed a couple first downs in the last 11 minutes. I don't think it was the right decision at all. I fault the staff for not being ready for a clearly plausible scenario of your QB getting hurt.

39 yards in the 4th quarter. 

To me it says what they think about Loy that they didn't put him in versus not being prepared. But I can understand the point of view of our staff not being prepared. I just see it as the standpoint of that even though TJ is on one leg...it's still better than the other options. If we would've won, no one would be taking issue with the decision. 

1 hour ago, Didba said:

My guess is they didn't have faith in Loy to field snaps cleanly and/or DD really isn't ready for this complex offense/SEC level speed yet.

What we were doing was anything but complex.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Guest MustardSeed

It’s actually REALLY simple. The same was asked when Bo was hurt but kept playing. Everyone said “surely TJ was a better option”. Well we found out that as long as Bo could go he was likely the better option. So we can safely assume that since TJ was put in the same position he was likely the better option as long as he could go. No need to overthink it. It’s likely just this simple. 

32 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Good luck speaking reason to this board right now.

LOL! Yeah, you're the beacon of reason

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I’m pretty sure those decisions are ultimately made by our highly regarded medical staff. 

All of this would have been moot I think if Harsin ran a QB sneak with a 6'7 TJ Finley on 3rd and 2 to put the game away. I honestly can't understand how one doesn't do that in that situation. Just another to add to the list of really bizarre coaching decisions that cost us games.

TJ still could make some good passes though as he showed in OT with the low pass TD. However, that was more of a great catch I think than pass, but he got it there.  So again, it just shows poor play calling prior by the coaches. Like when we stopped Bama and gave it right back to them by throwing a stupid pass. Granted, it hit the receiver in the hands so can't really put that one on TJ, but should have just been running some clock.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, clwn said:

All of this would have been moot I think if Harsin ran a QB sneak with a 6'7 TJ Finley on 3rd and 2 to put the game away. I honestly can't understand how one doesn't do that in that situation. Just another to add to the list of really bizarre coaching decisions that cost us games.

So run a sneak with a gimpy QB?

I am seriously starting to wonder how some AU fans operate daily without some sort of supervision

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1