So explain to me

Eagle Eye 7

Loy is a good runner IMO.  But If Coaches did not want to use QB's 2 and 3 for whatever reason I think we have a couple of walkons who maybe could have performed better than TJ in the 4th Q. Finley did his best and I respect that and the coaches decision as well. We all wanted to win, maybe so much it's hard to think clearly in the heat of the battle.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Point is..we wouldn't have been in position to win without him. Who really expected Auburn to win the game? Therefore the fact that we had to go multiple OTs for a chance to win the game says that it was the right decision to keep TJ in the game. I just don't think it was simple as put in our 3rd or 4th string and drain clock and we win. We can agree to disagree but I still would trust a hurt TJ to close it out vs the others we had. 

Yeah like I said I don’t know, it’s just odd. We have a 3rd string QB who’s been here a couple years and has also started at the college level. I mean, the guy has been playing football all his life and got a scholarship to play it in college and he can’t come in and run some basic plays? If a clearly hobbled TJ is still that much better then why is Loy even on the team? It’s really weird. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Didba said:

The offensive scheme, route tree, play names, etc are very complex in this offense, at least compared to what they were under Gus.

It is the last game of the year after a full spring, summer and fall games.  You can call it Oklahoma mtrocarbycidinal preciousness and it still means pitch to the rb crossing to the left.

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Yeah like I said I don’t know, it’s just odd. We have a 3rd string QB who’s been here a couple years and has also started at the college level. I mean, the guy has been playing football all his life and got a scholarship to play it in college and he can’t come in and run some basic plays? If a clearly hobbled TJ is still that much better then why is Loy even on the team? It’s really weird. 

Good question and the right question to ask our coach. I personally think we were lucky to get TJ and stuck with Loy from the previous staff. I never considered Loy a real backup or 3rd string; only in name because I thought DD would get in before he would. Comments from Harsin over the spring and summer made me feel that DD was showing some flashes but Loy was just older and had college experience. But that’s about it. The iron bowl seems to have confirmed that. If he couldn’t be trusted to finish off Bama when our QB is on one leg….he’s not going to be looked to for the future to help us. I’d be surprised if he’s on the team next year.

Edited by WarEagle1983

Guest MustardSeed
10 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Waiting for good answer…(remembering people question the med staff for sending Bo back in against MSU.)

Just say what you’re implying….

15 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Waiting for good answer…(remembering people question the med staff for sending Bo back in against MSU.)

What was med staff opinion on TJ going back in?

19 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Good question and the right question to ask our coach. I personally think we were lucky to get TJ and stuck with Loy from the previous staff. I never considered Loy a real backup or 3rd string; only in name because I thought DD would get in before he would. Comments from Harsin over the spring and summer made me feel that DD was showing some flashes but Loy was just older and had college experience. But that’s about it. The iron bowl seems to have confirmed that. If he couldn’t be trusted to finish off Bama when our QB is on one leg….he’s not going to be looked to for the future to help us. I’d be surprised if he’s on the team next year.

It’s just baffling though. In the A Day Loy showed he had enough wheels to at least run the ball. The difference in Bo and TJ was Bo was still moving the team. The offense completely flamed out in the 4th quarter. No turnovers and at least one first down makes tank going out of bounds a moot point. I have a hard time believing Loy is so incompetent  that he can’t hand a ball off or run a few QB draws to keep the defense honest.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

It’s just baffling though. In the A Day Loy showed he had enough wheels to at least run the ball. The difference in Bo and TJ was Bo was still moving the team. The offense completely flamed out in the 4th quarter. No turnovers and at least one first down makes tank going out of bounds a moot point. I have a hard time believing Loy is so incompetent that that he can’t hand a ball off or run a few QB draws to keep the defense honest.

I have no inside knowledge, but it is my guess that Bo said he couldn’t play anymore.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I have no inside knowledge, but it is my guess that Bo said he couldn’t play anymore.

Understandable and his current condition justifies that. Nothing short of amazing what he did while injured moving the team down the field. TJ wasn’t doing anything until OT. Loy didn’t need to win the game just manage it. Oh well it’s over now . What can we do.

11 minutes ago, e808 said:

It’s just baffling though. In the A Day Loy showed he had enough wheels to at least run the ball. The difference in Bo and TJ was Bo was still moving the team. The offense completely flamed out in the 4th quarter. No turnovers and at least one first down makes tank going out of bounds a moot point. I have a hard time believing Loy is so incompetent that that he can’t hand a ball off or run a few QB draws to keep the defense honest.

Valid point for sure. Our backups should be able to do the aforementioned at the very least. Just appears that the staff thought a gimpy TJ was better; right or wrong. It would be interesting to know what the thought process was for sure. 

• Love 1

Guest MustardSeed
47 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Valid point for sure. Our backups should be able to do the aforementioned at the very least. Just appears that the staff thought a gimpy TJ was better; right or wrong. It would be interesting to know what the thought process was for sure. 

The way I see it (which honestly doesn’t matter cause I don’t know anything 😃) is if we can assess that Bo playing banged up was the best option until it was clear he wasn’t (based off what we’ve seen from TJ in 2 games…) then we can assess the staff was making a well informed decision and were likely right.  If we apply the logic moving forward we can assume the same thing occurred with TJ/Loy.  Now perhaps the staff holds on to that a little too long but hindsight is 50/50