Football IQ and intelligence

auburnphan

Pay attention to all the players signing today and a reoccurring theme.   This was one of my hates on the last staff, chased stars with low football awareness.  I guess it matched the head coach but it was a huge problem with our constant mental mistakes by individuals.  WDE

ps.  Yes I needed that dig and damn did it feel good. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hard to tell if HS prospects have football IQ from their tape. Plus, it's really more of a thing that's instilled at the next level. I have confidence CBH will make our guys savvy just by the system we run. 

I don't necessarily think Gus recruited football-ignorant players. He just ran a really simple, dumb system that required no football IQ to run. 

• Like 1

I don't necessarily think Gus recruited football-ignorant players. He just ran a really simple, dumb system that required no football IQ to run. 

Ah.

The Old chicken or the egg conundrum.

Good point.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Ah.

Good point.

And no football IQ to defend!

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Ah.

Good point.

They might not have been talented, but at least they weren't very smart.

(I obviously don't mean those things about most of the kids. I just really love that joke format.)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

2022 Class has a 3.3 GPA avg.

Harsin also noted 7 or the 16 signees were team captains. You can tell this matters to him. 

Remember when Harsin named a backup LB who sat out the prior season as a captain over a 3 year starting QB? Might have been a strong message, but that's another topic. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, milehighfan said:

You weren't going to see nasa coming and conduct a talent search for alot of Gus' recruits.

Malzahn signed itelligent players for sure but did he focus on stars or players with a true love for the game? I think that is the difference. We need a full team of players with heart, not just a few individuals sprinkled in here and there. Malzahn teams after 2014 seemed to be missing something and I think that was it. Maybe it was him and not really the players IDK.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Malzahn signed itelligent players for sure but did he focus on stars or players with a true love for the game? I think that is the difference. We need a full team of players with heart, not just a few individuals sprinkled in here and there. Malzahn teams after 2014 seemed to be missing something and I think that was it. Maybe it was him and not really the players IDK.

I think this is evident by the number of 5* players that he signed that went on to other places and then bombed and did not make it to the show.  Not saying all 5* definitely make it, but they definitely have a leg up on the others going into college.  I don't know if it is heart or football IQ or what, but IMO we had an inordinate amount of them that did not make it.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:01 AM, McLoofus said:

Not IQ/intelligence specifically, but same mindset IMO:

The Patriots usually lead the league in average Wonderlick score.  Maybe Bill figured something out awhile ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The Patriots usually lead the league in average Wonderlick score.  Maybe Bill figured something out awhile ago.

Good shot at the playoffs with a rookie QB. Won 10 games with Matt Cassel. Always get rid of high profile veterans sooner rather than later. Almost never go big in free agency. 

Too bad it was all Tom Brady...

(Belichick is also famous for having lots of utility players who can do several different things. I think this might be part of our strategy with loading up on DBs.)

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good shot at the playoffs with a rookie QB. Won 10 games with Matt Cassel. Always get rid of high profile veterans sooner rather than later. Almost never go big in free agency. 

Too bad it was all Tom Brady...

(Belichick is also famous for having lots of utility players who can do several different things. I think this might be part of our strategy with loading up on DBs.)

Belichick went away from that not spending big in free agency after not making the playoffs last year. Patriots spent the most out of any team in free agency 

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

Belichick went away from that not spending big in free agency after not making the playoffs last year. Patriots spent the most out of any team in free agency 

Yep, widely reported because of how unusual it was. And because he knew he wasn't going to have a great QB. And because they'd lost a lot more than Brady. Part of why Brady left is because they had run low on pass catchers. And evidently it worked, especially since they absolutely hit on the QB they drafted.

Anyway. All those "Tompa Bay" fans in Massachusetts are struggling with the realization that it wasn't all Brady.