Auburn and Ex-Coaches

AUght2win

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

You actually believe that 2012 and last year were remotely similar?  From a football perspective, that is bizarre.

The guy doesn't know what he is talking about. He considers ending a successful coaching run on a downward trajectory to be "shambles". I guess every coach who ever left their school at anything less than their peak should be disowned? That list would include Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Pat Dye, Lloyd Carr, Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, etc.

Tubberville had a great run at Auburn and elevated our program. He should have won it all in 2004, and his former DC returned to coach HIS talent to the title in 2004 - Kodi Burns, Nick Fairley, Lutzenkirchen, Ziemba, Bynes, Pugh, McCalebb, etc. were all Tubberville guys.

Gus also didn't leave us in "shambles". Bowden and Chizik did, but even then, their high points still can't be forgotten. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

He has but I think that was mostly to watch his son Tucker who was a walk-on QB. He stayed out of the spotlight.

He was actually more in the spotlight than not.  He was on the Tiger Tailgate show, have a live TV interview and was at a post-game tailgate with a few of the players.  I’ve even got a photo of him and my daughter at the tailgate.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

is your point? You get more incoherent with each post.

You’re an angry elf.    Why come on here if you get this excited over what someone else says.   You are the one that brought up that you didn’t care what some pollsters voted for a champion.  I only stated that it’s still people that are picking who gets to play in the final two games.   How hard was that to figure out?   

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You are having a heck of a week on this board.

That’s rich coming from the guy who posted a thread and then got mad when people disagreed with it. 

Edited by ClaytonAU
  • Haha 2

I can only speak for myself, but I would be very happy to go to an AU game and see any of our past HCs there and being honored. Bowden, Tubs, and Chiz all delivered undefeated seasons and Gus took us to a Natty. All of them represented AU well while part of our school. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

All of the former football coaches that should have a permanent recognition for their accomplishments are already honored. Stadium named after 3 (most notably Jordan and Pat Dye) and statues of honor as well. Everyone else can get maybe a pregame or halftime thanks for their good season or two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

You’re an angry elf.    Why come on here if you get this excited over what someone else says.   You are the one that brought up that you didn’t care what some pollsters voted for a champion.  I only stated that it’s still people that are picking who gets to play in the final two games.   How hard was that to figure out?   

You just keep saying stupid stuff to be a contrarian. My comment about not caring what pollsters think was in appreciation of the 2004 team.

Then, for some reason, you said "you know it was the BCS right?". When I corrected you that pollsters were, in fact, still a huge part of the BCS era, you replied with the TOTAL OPPOSITE of your first remark.

What are you trying to say and what's the point??? It's incoherent.

14 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

You're putting words into my mouth.  I didn't say that I hate Gus, nor do I resent him being paid.  Gus did some very good things for AU, just not $50 million worth.  That I do resent.  He was 45-22 at the time he demanded his $50 million contract, that's a 67% win/loss average and a 1-4 bowl record which is even worse.  Who pays that kind of money for such a mediocre performance ?  That was just bad business sense.  Sexton with Malzahn's blessing extorted that money out of AU because there was a new AD and some spendthrift donors.  If your wife said, Honey, I'm leaving you for the neighbor unless you pony up the cash, even though I've been a bit of a whore with you. 

Terrible, terrible analogy. Contract negotiations aren't extortion and they aren't personal, akin to leaving your wife. That's what I'm talking about. Gus just played the business side extremely well.

14 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

The donors and an inexperienced AD made the offer.  I agree with you.  Yes, you would think that successful businessmen would have declined to pay the ransom, but that rests with them.  Hopefully they got the message and won't be burned again.

WDE !!!

I thought our joke if a president made that deal! We didn't have ADAG yet if I recall correctly.

Leath was literally the worst. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Terrible, terrible analogy. Contract negotiations aren't extortion and they aren't personal, akin to leaving your wife. That's what I'm talking about. Gus just played the business side extremely well.

I agree. To me that is the free market, not extortion. For most people, If someone sends word  that they are willing to pay them double what they are currently making, they would probably ask their employer to match it and/or leave. For a lot of people on this site it is an emotional thing, for the coaches it is a rational thing, a career, a job, a profession, a business.

We love to judge things in hindsight.  What if the AD had let Gus go, then Gus beats UGA and leaves and the wheels run off with the new coach in the bowl game?  Obviously that did not happen, but the AD at the time did not know that.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 3:29 PM, Elephant Tipper said:

A coach who extorts a $50 million contract out of AU or promises to leave for an opponent should be written off the "famed coaches" list.  He got what he wanted, but AU didn't.....for that $50 million contract.

Just my opinion but the blame for that contract falls squarely on the shoulders of the university not Gus.  Brilliant move on the part of Gus and his agent.  I doubt that there are many of us on this board who wouldn’t love to have that deal.  I don’t see it as extortion but rather as a sharp business move.  Blame Auburn for that one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:57 PM, Elephant Tipper said:

based on his 2010 and 2013 season,

No. The deal was based on beating UGA and UAT at season's end when both were ranked #1. Never had been done before and that's unlikely to ever be done again.

13 hours ago, alexava said:

My curiosity is........up

HAHAHA!!! I was at work having lunch at my desk......we had internet issues all day so not sure where the quote went. Or which one it was now.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:22 PM, cbo said:

Gus will have his day at some point. Gene, too. 

With Tuberville, there are other ... issues. I will leave it at that, much to the delight of the board. 

Yeah like he should be introduced as Senator Tuberville. Pretty good post-coaching accomplishment IMHO.

Edited by Proud Tiger

On 12/16/2021 at 2:54 PM, BJCrawford said:

I was visiting Auburn last summer and saw Chiz at the CC pool. I assume he still lives there.

Yep Chiz still has a nice house in Auburn and owns commercial property on the ground floor of Legends of Magnolia Condo building, maybe more. Tubs has Lake Martin property and I think Gus still has a place in Auburn too.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 6:53 PM, gctiger said:

I’m fairly certain that Tubbs has returned for a few games and been received very warmly.  

Yep Tubs came by our tailgate at this year's IB game. He is a friend and IMHO got screwed by JJ and Tim Jackson. One thing for sure.....he is still a big Auburn fan. What has Auburn done to recognize his accomplishments?

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Yeah like he should be introduced as Senator Tuberville. Pretty good post-coaching accomplishment IMHO.

Many Auburn people share your opinion. Many others consider Tuberville a source of embarrassment. So celebrating him would be tricky. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Many Auburn people share your opinion. Many others consider Tuberville a source of embarrassment. So celebrating him would be tricky. 

I can understand someone being glad Tubs left but why is he an embarrassment to anyone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbo said:

It really isn't tricky. Just treat him apolitically. He didn't coach for the democrats or republicans, he coached for Auburn. Let's celebrate what he did here and leave it at that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I can understand someone being glad Tubs left but why is he an embarrassment to anyone?

You know why, even if you don’t agree. I’m not doing this with you. 

17 minutes ago, cbo said:

You know why, even if you don’t agree. I’m not doing this with you. 

I have no clue what you are talking about. Let me try again......why should I or anyone be embarrassed about Tubs?

Edited by Proud Tiger