New #1 in the CBS poll...

Tigerpro2a

39 minutes ago, Pedaler said:

“Looks like a choir boy, shoots like a serial killer!” (Jim Fyffe)

Loved that kid. I think he is a banker in Atlanta now. He was great until he had to play against a big quick guard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

What ended up becoming of Chris Porter?

I think he tried playing over seas for a few years. Was pretty down and out for a while. He did come back to AU for a game some time within the last 3 years when Bruce made a point to try and get old players involved with the program. That was about the last i heard of him. Dude was a shooting star his first year at AU. Just never was able to match what he did that season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think he tried playing over seas for a few years. Was pretty down and out for a while. He did come back to AU for a game some time within the last 3 years when Bruce made a point to try and get old players involved with the program. That was about the last i heard of him. Dude was a shooting star his first year at AU. Just never was able to match what he did that season.

Chris was still playing pro basketball as recently as 2016! He had some tough times off the court that really sunk his NBA career. A college legend - amazing how many fans are unaware of his time at Auburn. 

1 minute ago, Dunndone414 said:

Chris was still playing pro basketball as recently as 2016! He had some tough times off the court that really sunk his NBA career. A college legend - amazing how many fans are unaware of his time at Auburn. 

2016?1? Really.....dang he graduated in 2000 right? He must have been damn near 40 out there playing ball. 

21 hours ago, Viper said:

Hmm I thought we were ranked #1 for a moment in early 1999. I guess I’m just remembering a #1 seed.

I think that was just the SI Magazine.  Highest we got in 99 was #2.  98 I think we got up to 3 or 4.

6 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I think that was just the SI Magazine.  Highest we got in 99 was #2.  98 I think we got up to 3 or 4.

Yup I corrected it. SI pre-season #1 was always the death nail. 

19 hours ago, Viper said:

How has that “hero ball” worked out for James Harden?

I love Green’s intensity, but he thinking he’s Steph Curry with those 35-footers are eventually going to cost us against an equally-good squad.

I’m ok with them if every starter has touched the ball on a possession, attempted to get quality shots and the shot clock is nearing its end. I’m referring to early in the shot clock. Pass the ball around the horn. We have an abundance of talent who can get open to get quality shots. Very surprised Pearl hasn’t nipped that bud.

James Harden isn't a good example for "hero ball" but a team gels by playing with each other and getting experience. It's not that they all have to pass to each other. It's more everybody knows their roles

19 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

While I agree those types of shots can be costly, I really believe it is more of an in game feel. I believe Bruce has trust in his guys and has instilled confidence in them to be able to feel it. I don't think Green shoots too many of those. It looks like a horrible possession when he airballs or bricks it, but damn it can be a back breaker when he drains those rainbows. So as it is now I have no problem with it. 

Thanks you! I would have never remembered his name. That was the first AU basketball team I ever watched. Just wasn't into it before that team.

That team is a great example at how one person could mean so much but not get recognition.

That team was a complete different team without Bryant Smith. Nobody talks about him, many wouldn't remember him but he was the leader of that team. He was the best defender and I'd argue best all around player. 

Flanagan reminds me of him

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

That team is a great example at how one person could mean so much but not get recognition.

That team was a complete different team without Bryant Smith. Nobody talks about him, many wouldn't remember him but he was the leader of that team. He was the best defender and I'd argue best all around player. 

Flanagan reminds me of him

I’d have zero argument with Bryant smith on any all-auburn team …. He did so many things well.  He seemed like a star at that time, but doesn’t get the pub now that he should

Regarding Porter - I’ve  always said that players don’t need to be only judged on nba success.  Porter traveled the world making probably nicely into 6 figure salary playing a game he loved.  That sounds pretty successful to me.

edit: all the while never really having a midrange jumper

Edited by mustache eagle

20 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I’d have zero argument with Bryant smith on any all-auburn team …. He did so many things well.  He seemed like a star at that time, but doesn’t get the pub now that he should

Regarding Porter - I’ve  always said that players don’t need to be only judged on nba success.  Porter traveled the world making probably nicely into 6 figure salary playing a game he loved.  That sounds pretty successful to me.

edit: all the while never really having a midrange jumper

Who said Porter wasn't successful? You're confusing me a little

33 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Chris didn't make the NBA but he played in England and New Zealand. He unfortunately got into some problems back home in Alabama last year. He was fun to watch during his playing days at AU.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Who said Porter wasn't successful? You're confusing me a little

That wasn’t directed at you.  I didn’t want to do a separate post. It was a general comment .  I’ve seen in the past nuanced comments that seem insinuate that anything other than nba is a bust

15 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

That wasn’t directed at you.  I didn’t want to do a separate post. It was a general comment .  I’ve seen in the past nuanced comments that seem insinuate that anything other than nba is a bust

Ahhh ok. Got it. I agree with you. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I’ve made that argument here before. I think that was the clear difference in those two teams. He was the “glue” guy that didn’t get nearly enough credit- tough as nails and a great defender. Plus, from my hometown…

Edited by fredst

Yep. Combine the UCLA loss with Baylor’s loss and our win over a ranked Bama team on the road. Do we leapfrog Gonzaga? Does this make us the new overall #1?

Edited by War to the Eagle

On CBS’s Eye on CBB podcast Gary Parrish said “Auburn should be number one in the AP Poll - if the voters know what they’re doing.” I worry they don’t! 

In fairness, Gonzaga destroyed a pretty good BYU team last night. If we end up #2 or #3 I’m not complaining. I was there for the Barbee years! 😂 

Yeah i'll be surprised if they put us over Gonzaga. The polls always favor the teams they "think" should be at the top. I would not be shocked to see AU at 2 or 3 behind both Gonzaga and Baylor. Hope we beat Ol Miss and get that #1 spot just because it would be so cool to actually be ranked #1 in bball. 

5 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

If we end up #2 or #3 I’m not complaining. I was there for the Barbee years! 😂 

Man, same here. I even officiated some of his "Elite" camps. I sat in the student section and watched us score 9 points in a half against LSU then listened to him blast and blame the players in the postgame.

While Bruce can get fiery and demanding (as a great coach usually does), Barbee was straight up abusive with the ways he talked to and about the players. I was excited as anyone when he was hired after his tourney run at UTEP, but I've NEVER been more happy to see a coach get canned. Simply put, dude was an ass and a hack.

Now that all that negativity is out I gotta say...

War Eagle!!! Bruce has taken one of the worst D1 basketball programs in recent memory and brought us to Heights we have quite literally never seen! And the man is so freaking genuine! If you've never met him in person just know that he is one of the most kind, authentic people I've ever encountered. He is intentional with his relationships, and players and parents see that. 

Other places talk about their "process", and some are even wildly successful, but I'll take Bruce's building over all the others. 

• Like 1