New #1 in the CBS poll...

Tigerpro2a

Dang, like this part. Bottom line, the resume is strong -- so strong that the Tigers, provided they win at Ole Miss this weekend, should also move to No. 1 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll on Monday for the first time in school history (if enough AP voters know what they're doing).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

should also move to No. 1 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll on Monday for the first time in school history

Hmm I thought we were ranked #1 for a moment in early 1999. I guess I’m just remembering a #1 seed.

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

Best part is we haven't played our best game yet. Not even close to it.

Exactly what I’ve been saying for weeks. Team hasn’t fully gelled yet. If they do, at bottoms, an Elite 8 team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Hmm I thought we were ranked #1 for a moment in early 1999. I guess I’m just remembering a #1 seed.

I think we were preseason #1 in a sports illustrated magazine. Chris Porter was on the front cover. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

I think we were preseason #1 in a sports illustrated magazine. Chris Porter was on the front cover. 

Perhaps that was the 1999-2000 season? We were an unknown to start the 98 season. 

Edit: Confirmed preseason 1999…

auburn-university-chris-porter-1999-2000

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Exactly what I’ve been saying for weeks. Team hasn’t fully gelled yet. If they do, at bottoms, an Elite 8 team.

Just curious. What do they need to do to fully gel?

Edited by Proud Tiger

2 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Auburn finally got the #1 ranking in RPI as well. Didn't move any in the NET.

Yeah NET has been very weird for a week now for us. Beat multiple teams rated favorably in the NET and still at a plateau. Idk 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Just curious. What do they need to do to fully gel?

Pass the ball more, which equals trust in one another. It’s what fueled the 2019 team after their mid-season string of losses to the Final 4.

52 minutes ago, Viper said:

Pass the ball more, which equals trust in one another. It’s what fueled the 2019 team after their mid-season string of losses to the Final 4.

I'm sure not a coach and you are probably right but as a simple fan I often wish they would pass less. Seems to lead to more turnovers and bad shots as the shot clock runs out. 

3 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

What was the white boy's name that played on that team with Porter? He was a great shooter. IIRC he was shorter dark haired kid (maybe 6ft) and he was deadly from behind the arc.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

I'm sure not a coach and you are probably right but as a simple fan I often wish they would pass less. Seems to lead to more turnovers and bad shots as the shot clock runs out. 

How has that “hero ball” worked out for James Harden?

I love Green’s intensity, but he thinking he’s Steph Curry with those 35-footers are eventually going to cost us against an equally-good squad.

I’m ok with them if every starter has touched the ball on a possession, attempted to get quality shots and the shot clock is nearing its end. I’m referring to early in the shot clock. Pass the ball around the horn. We have an abundance of talent who can get open to get quality shots. Very surprised Pearl hasn’t nipped that bud.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

What was the white boy's name that played on that team with Porter? He was a great shooter. IIRC he was shorter dark haired kid (maybe 6ft) and he was deadly from behind the arc.

Scott Pohlman

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

I love Green’s intensity, but he thinking he’s Steph Curry with those 35-footers are eventually going to cost us against an equally-good squad.

I’m ok with them if every starter has touched the ball on a possession, attempted to get quality shots and the shot clock is nearing its end. I’m referring to early in the shot clock. Pass the ball around the horn. We have an abundance of talent who can get open to get quality shots. Very surprised Pearl hasn’t nipped that bud.

While I agree those types of shots can be costly, I really believe it is more of an in game feel. I believe Bruce has trust in his guys and has instilled confidence in them to be able to feel it. I don't think Green shoots too many of those. It looks like a horrible possession when he airballs or bricks it, but damn it can be a back breaker when he drains those rainbows. So as it is now I have no problem with it. 

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

Scott Pohlman

Thanks you! I would have never remembered his name. That was the first AU basketball team I ever watched. Just wasn't into it before that team.

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

While I agree those types of shots can be costly, I really believe it is more of an in game feel. I believe Bruce has trust in his guys and has instilled confidence in them to be able to feel it. I don't think Green shoots too many of those. It looks like a horrible possession when he airballs or bricks it, but damn it can be a back breaker when he drains those rainbows. So as it is now I have no problem with it. 

Don’t disagree w Pearl’s confidence in his team. That’s his driving force. But other than LSU, we haven’t played a squad on our level yet. The UConn loss was a century ago. It’s going to bite us. Again, I’m ok w Green launching them late, but not the hero stuff that Curry does early in the shot clock. It’s low percentage and completely unnecessary given how good his teammates are. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Just stay humble B-Ball team!

I don't know how they wouldn't. That game could have gone either way at the end. I also think giving up a 13 pt (?) lead late in the game would be humbling. They know they made a lot of mistakes last night, including some poor shooting early in the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Very well said.

• Thanks 1