Have you seen the latest bat crap crazy thing to come from Florida Republicans?

AU9377

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

As far as I know, they aren't trying to project their reality on everyone else.

This is long, but if you watch it you will see they are projecting their reality on everyone.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is long, but if you watch it you will see they are projecting their reality on everyone.

You mean somebody went on Dr. Phil.  I seriously doubt this means there is some nationwide conspiracy.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:48 PM, I_M4_AU said:

It only becomes rote to some.  Others will look into it more deeply as time passes.

It has nothing to do with centering a child's mind.  A better argument would be that it teaches respect or something along those lines.  Like I have said many times, it is not a school's job to teach children to pray.  That is a parent's job.  Take children to a church if that is a concern.  Come to school to learn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AU9377 said:

You mean somebody went on Dr. Phil.  I seriously doubt this means there is some nationwide conspiracy.

Here is an article concerning the UPenn swimmer by one of the parents of a biological woman on the team:

“She has given this sport everything she has, and she feels like some of it’s been taken away,” he said of his daughter who has been swimming since she was 5 years old, adding that many of the girls on the UPenn swim team are scared to speak out because “any kind of opposition is immediately called transphobic.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/upenn-swimmers-parent-says-female-swimmers-are-really-unhappy-with-transgender-teammate-situation/

Because of the coalition of the LGBTQ+, which is a nationwide alliance, these girls are afraid to talk out because of the blow back that would affect the rest of their lives.

It took a great deal of courage for Mr Walsh to speak out publicly to challenge these *non binary* individuals and their thought processes.  He must not be afraid of being cancelled and good for him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It has nothing to do with centering a child's mind.  A better argument would be that it teaches respect or something along those lines.  Like I have said many times, it is not a school's job to teach children to pray.  That is a parent's job.  Take children to a church if that is a concern.  Come to school to learn.

This particular response was about the pledge of allegiance, not prayer.  Prayer is personal and should be taught by the parents.  It would be better to allow time before classes starts to allow those that pray time to do so if they so desire.  It doesn’t have to be lead by the teacher.

21 hours ago, creed said:

Have you even researched the subject, or is your mind just made up regardlessof the science?

Well, I haven't done a formal lit review which by definition is supposed to be comprehensive, but yes, I have researched it, a few years ago.

All my statements on the subject are based on the current science. If you want to start comparing research, I'm game. I'll lead with this:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gender-dysphoria/symptoms-causes/syc-20475255

Edited by homersapien

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here is an article concerning the UPenn swimmer by one of the parents of a biological woman on the team:

“She has given this sport everything she has, and she feels like some of it’s been taken away,” he said of his daughter who has been swimming since she was 5 years old, adding that many of the girls on the UPenn swim team are scared to speak out because “any kind of opposition is immediately called transphobic.”

This concept is a red herring IMO.

The idea that one can object to physical advantages a transgender may possess as unfair in women's athletic competition without being considered as "transphobic" is simplistic.

IMO it is quite possible to fully respect a transgender for who they are without giving them 'carte blanch' to compete against women in women's athletics.  

It does open up a 'can of worms' when considering all of the possible - and existing - variations in various hormone levels (for one example) in women.  Everyone recognizes the existence of "masculine" women. Such women often compete in women's sports.

It's a conundrum.  Especially for the women without such advantages. My advice would be just to keep competing, do your best and not worry about it.

(And please, don't respond with trying to demonstrate the numbers of people who may not think like I do. Trust me, if this forum has taught me anything it's that.)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, creed said:

Sure....just try and teach "real" biology, human anatomy and human chemistry to a trans group and see what happens.

There is nothing in the teaching of those subjects that would bring up sex assignment surgery.

Well, I haven't done a formal lit review which by definition is supposed to be comprehensive, but yes, I have researched it, a few years ago.

All my statements on the subject are based on the current science. If you want to start comparing research, I'm game. I'll lead with this:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gender-dysphoria/symptoms-causes/syc-20475255

That’s a good article and I don’t dispute the physiological aspects. But I left this aspect out of my comment on purpose.  My comment stands.  

Edited by creed

This concept is a red herring IMO.

The idea that one can object to physical advantages a transgender may possess as unfair in women's athletic competition without being considered as "transphobic" is simplistic.

IMO it is quite possible to fully respect a transgender for who they are without giving them 'carte blanch' to compete against women in women's athletics.  

It does open up a 'can of worms' when considering all of the possible - and existing - variations in various hormone levels (for one example) in women.  Everyone recognizes the existence of "masculine" women. Such women often compete in women's sports.

It's a conundrum.  Especially for the women without such advantages. My advice would be just to keep competing, do your best and not worry about it.

For the most part I agree.  The *just to keep competing, do your best* is not what competitive athletes do.  They compete to do their best with a shot at winning.  If there is no shot at winning, the competitive spirit tends to wane. Only us weekend warriors compete to do our best and/or beat our previous mark.

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

For the most part I agree.  The *just to keep competing, do your best* is not what competitive athletes do.  They compete to do their best with a shot at winning.  If there is no shot at winning, the competitive spirit tends to wane. Only us weekend warriors compete to do our best and/or beat our previous mark.

That's the only thing they can do, unless they have the power to limit the natural physical attributes of their competition for the sake of their chance to win.

Life is not fair.  That includes athletics.

Edited by homersapien

51 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's the only thing they can do, unless they have the power to limit the natural physical attributes of their competition for the sake of their chance to win.

Life is not fair.  That includes athletics.

Your premise is based on open competition.  Why have women sports then?  The reasoning is to give women/girls a level playing field, .  If those sports can be infiltrated by natural physical attributes such as men, what’s the point of girls competing?

Here are two athletes with opinions about this subject:

Before the NCAA announced the policy change, several prominent athletes criticized Thomas’ participation in women’s sports, including former Olympian Caitlyn Jenner, who came out as trans in 2015.

"Number one, biological boys -- I've said from the beginning -- should not be playing in women's sports,” she said in an interview with Fox News. “We need to protect women's sports.”

While Jenner said she respected Thomas’ decision to “live her life authentically,” she added later that “her respiratory system is bigger. Her hands are bigger. She can swim faster. That's a known. All of this woke world that we're living in right now is not working.”

Five-time Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps also discussed Thomas in a recent interview with CNN.

“We all should feel comfortable with who we are in our own skin, but I think sports should be played on an even playing field,” he said in the interview. “I don’t know what that looks like in the future but it’s hard.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ncaa-criticized-changing-policy-transgender-athletes/story?id=82380905

From the same article:

The policy change aligns with recent changes made by U.S. Olympic Committee and International Olympic Committee, the organization said in a statement. If the national governing body of a sport does not have a policy, the NCAA would apply the rules of that sport's international federation or the IOC’s policy.

"We are steadfast in our support of transgender student-athletes and the fostering of fairness across college sports," John DeGioia, chair of the NCAA's Board of Governors and Georgetown University president, said in a statement. "It is important that NCAA member schools, conferences and college athletes compete in an inclusive, fair, safe and respectful environment and can move forward with a clear understanding of the new policy."

This subject is contentious to say the least.  

On 2/1/2022 at 6:32 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Wow, you found some nut cases on the internet to demonstrate your fallacy.

Congratulations!  You win! :laugh:

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Wow, you found some nut cases on the internet to demonstrate your fallacy.

Congratulations!  You win! :laugh:

Which nut case are you referring to, Walsh or Vincent?