Have you seen the latest bat crap crazy thing to come from Florida Republicans?

AU9377

According to the bill, an individual shouldn't be made to "feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin."

Seems to follow the safe space requirement of many a school in America these days. 🤷

I don’t support removing racial injustice as a part of our history. It’s real and needs to be taught. However no one should feel guilt over the actions of others. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

the W.O.K.E Act? lol 

Republicans are such a parody of themselves 

Short takeoff 

You cannot teach and be concerned that facts will hurt someone's feelings.  Feeling bad is called having a conscience.

Edited by AU9377

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

You cannot teach and be concerned that facts will hurt someone's feelings.  Feeling bad is called having a conscience.

Do you support the batcrappers and their "WOKE" Safe Places? BTW, I am laughing at both. 
Teach THE Truth, even if it offends everyone. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Do you support the batcrappers and their "WOKE" Safe Places? BTW, I am laughing at both. 
Teach THE Truth, even if it offends everyone. 

While I've seen some schools and area school boards go crazy with the 'safe spaces' thing is there an example of Democrats trying to create state laws to mandate these safe spaces or woke mandates? Desantis is trying to push this craziness through actual state law. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I get the feeling you still haven't read the bill. Please read it.

The bill does not restrict teaching facts. It prescribes it.

The bill rejects the teaching of a constructed radical theory.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I get the feeling you still haven't read the bill. Please read it.

The bill does not restrict teaching facts. It prescribes it.

The bill rejects the teaching of a constructed radical theory.  

I'm not a fan of CRT.  I believe that it is divisive and has little value in contributing to productive dialogue.

7.An individual should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or
   72  any other form of psychological distress on account of his or
   73  her race, color, sex, or national origin.

The above rambling sentence, in my opinion, will render the entire bill unconstitutionally vague and incapable of being enforced.

My biggest issue is that the real purpose of this bill is to promote more polarization and cultural warfare in our society.  There is currently no school system teaching CRT in Florida.  If a professor wants to discuss what CRT is, they should be able to do so in America.  Discussing something is not the same as promoting it as a proven analysis.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

While I've seen some schools and area school boards go crazy with the 'safe spaces' thing is there an example of Democrats trying to create state laws to mandate these safe spaces or woke mandates? Desantis is trying to push this craziness through actual state law. 

The entire purpose seems to be to promote further division and animosity/fear between different groups of Americans for the benefit of political candidates.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I'm not a fan of CRT.  I believe that it is divisive and has little value in contributing to productive dialogue.

We agree.

My biggest issue is that the real purpose of this bill is to promote more polarization and cultural warfare in our society.

What? How? And btw, doesn't CRT do precisely that? 

There is currently no school system teaching CRT in Florida.

There are those that disagree:

“As the daughter of Cuban exiles who fled from Marxist ideology, I am proud to stand alongside Governor DeSantis and support this proposed legislation that will put an end to wokeness that is permeating our schools and workforce,” said Lieutenant Governor Jeanette Nuñez. “This important legislation gives students and employees the resources they need to fight back against discrimination, critical race theory and indoctrination.

“Our schools are meant to be safe, fun and about learning, but teaching Critical Race Theory breeds division. There was so much being taught I had overlooked in the school system for so long,” said Laly Jimenez-Hincapie “My father was a political prisoner in Cuba who fled after his time served. American history is being replaced by CRT. Manipulated versions of this theory are a direct attack on the emotional wellbeing of our children. Our children deserve to know this history and be proud of it, land of the free and home of the brave.”

“We need to get back to the basics: reading, math, arithmetic. CRT is not something I agree with at all, especially as a person of color,” said Lacaysha Howell, mother of three. “Kids are coming home telling parents they are learning things that are incomprehensible to them. I am biracial and my three kids are biracial. This [CRT] is not what we need to be teaching in our schools. I want to continue to keep my kids in public school, but their educators need to teach them the basics.”

DeSantis cited “attempts to teach CRT” in Palm Beach and Sarasota counties and at Jacksonville’s Douglas Anderson School of the Arts, where two school cultural meetings separating students based on race were canceled amid backlash.

“as we have seen in Brevard County, radical politicians and bureaucrats are indoctrinating this hate into our principals, teachers, and ultimately, students.”

While most are engaged in “the greatest crisis to public education in history – responding to COVID,” Brevard County School Board “politicians thought it was more important to spend tens of thousands of dollars hiring a CRT trainer who stated, ‘White America has a deep and thick appetite for Black death and violence upon Black people.’ The philosophy these politicians are pushing is repugnant and repulsive, and this legislation will eradicate it root and branch.”

13 hours ago, AU9377 said:

If a professor wants to discuss what CRT is, they should be able to do so in America.  Discussing something is not the same as promoting it as a proven analysis.

We all recall nutty professors. Frankly, I'm not concerned at that level. K-12 is another story.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The entire purpose seems to be to promote further division and animosity/fear between different groups of Americans for the benefit of political candidates.

I think that is much of the problem. The left says the purpose of legislation to prevent CRT is to promote further division and animosity/fear between different groups of Americans for the benefit of political candidates. The right says that the purpose of teaching CRT is to promote further division and animosity/fear between different groups of Americans for the benefit of political candidates.

Both sides are probably right. It is more about politics than education. THAT is the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

On 1/20/2022 at 11:58 PM, AU9377 said:

Teach nothing that could possibly make a white kid feel bad.  This is so stupid that laughing at it seems strange.

https://abc7chicago.com/critical-race-theory-florida-bill-discomfort-ron-desantis-what-is-crt-in-schools/11491558/

Well, you could be us up here in VA with a Fascist as Governor.

We now have a hotline to report any teacher that teaches your child anything deemed "unsuitable," especially that hateful course called CRT, which I am quite certain, is only taught in a Law School. 

This is how it begins, and we have the Right and Evangelicals to thank for it.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

Well, you could be us up here in VA with a Fascist as Governor.

We now have a hotline to report any teacher that teaches your child anything deemed "unsuitable," especially that hateful course called CRT, which I am quite certain, is only taught in a Law School. 

This is how it begins, and we have the Right and Evangelicals to thank for it.

Are you sure that is the purpose of the hotline (or is it an email address)?

50 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Are you sure that is the purpose of the hotline (or is it an email address)?

Email hotline

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-virginia-hotline-lets-parents-report-divisive-teaching-practices-11643236044

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s office has set up an email hotline where parents can send complaints about what he has called “divisive teaching practices” such as critical race theory, a move educators in the state worry could be used to intimidate staff teaching historical fact.

Mr. Youngkin, the commonwealth’s newly elected Republican leader, earlier this month signed an executive order—his first as governor—calling on Virginia’s superintendent to replace elements of the commonwealth’s curriculum that contain “inherently divisive concepts, including concepts or ideas related to Critical Race Theory.”

Mr. Youngkin said in a radio interview Monday that the new hotline is intended to make the state aware of violations to the order, which he has said seeks to protect fundamental rights and ensure students are taught to respect others regardless of race.

The order says such concepts “instruct students to only view life through the lens of race and presumes that some students are consciously or unconsciously racist, sexist, or oppressive, and that other students are victims.”

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

hotline to report any teacher that teaches your child anything deemed "unsuitable,"

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

hotline where parents can send complaints about what he has called “divisive teaching practices”

Exactly. There is a big difference between the two. I suppose that some think that it is a bad thing to complain about divisive teaching practices.

• Facepalm 1

39 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Exactly. There is a big difference between the two. I suppose that some think that it is a bad thing to complain about divisive teaching practices.

You have to admit that either is vague as can be.  The process for a parent that has concerns about a child's teacher is to first go to the principal, then to their local school board.  What is next? Should there be a hotline to report any teacher that has views different from the parent or the consensus of the neighborhood?  This is some Third Reich type BS.

Teach your children that there are differences in opinion about some topics they will be taught and that they should respect those that they have differences with.  I didn't agree with all of my teachers on every subject, but that doesn't mean that I didn't learn why they had one view and why I had another view.

This reminds me of parents that complain about no prayer in school.  The majority of those complaining never mention that they don't take their child to church.  Educating a child takes more effort than dropping them at the door of a school building.

• Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

You have to admit that either is vague as can be.  The process for a parent that has concerns about a child's teacher is to first go to the principal, then to their local school board.  What is next? Should there be a hotline to report any teacher that has views different from the parent or the consensus of the neighborhood?  This is some Third Reich type BS.

Teach your children that there are differences in opinion about some topics they will be taught and that they should respect those that they have differences with.  I didn't agree with all of my teachers on every subject, but that doesn't mean that I didn't learn why they had one view and why I had another view.

This reminds me of parents that complain about no prayer in school.  The majority of those complaining never mention that they don't take their child to church.  Educating a child takes more effort than dropping them at the door of a school building.

I completely agree that either is vague.

But what is the point of changing what the stated purpose of the hotline if not to make it appear more Hitlerian without actual knowledge of it being such? 

And do you think it is a bad thing to have an email address to report divisive teaching practices?

Every year we are falling behind the rest of the world in reading, math, and science. Our minority communities are getting hit by this especially hard. Instead on increasing resources to improve the basics of education we are spending to much time on things outside of the basics.  Most of the world did not go to remote learning when the pandemic hit but we did putting our young people further behind. I am not saying we don't teach the bad things that have happened in this country as they did occur Rosa Parks, the Tuskegee Airmen this is part of our history as is slavery but slavery needs to be put into the context of it was the norm in the whole world from Asia, Africa, Middle East at that time in the world.  It is ok to say Jefferson and Washington had slaves but it  also must be mentioned how that was the norm in that era and that many of the principals that Jefferson espoused eventually led to the abolishment of slavery. It is OK to mention that Slavery was one of the driving forces behind the Civil War and to talk about Jim Crowe Laws, Segregation, separate bathrooms, water fountains, red lining neighborhoods but you also must talk some cities that have been run by African Americans over the last 50 years that have made life worse for minorities in those cities because they have done things like lower education standards when kids were failing instead of providing better education. Cities that like DC that spend more per student then most ISD's and yet still have low student achievement rates.

Please talk about why more and more minorities are running for office in the Republican party and winning because the Policies of the Democratic party have left them behind and that the schools run by the unions are part of the reason. Ask why so many Black and Latino Parents want school choice but are fought at every turn by the Democratic Party and the teachers Unions. 

One of the great things about this melting pot country is as demographics shift we are slowly but surely becoming a non-majority country and many of the younger minority voters are becoming Independent voters and are starting to pick candidates that reflect their values. African Americans and Latinos tend to to be Religious, morally conservative and are starting to realize they need to vote for the candidate that fits their views instead of the machine candidate.  National Elections each year Republicans gain a slightly higher percentage of the minority vote and we are  now starting to see conservative Minority candidates running in Cities that are traditionally Democratic it will take longer there as they have to overcome all the obstacles the entrenched politicians have placed in their path with patronage, large war chests, etc. but it will happen.

Failed Liberal policies in education, the economy, border security, etc. are pushing people to the Republican party which is also changing as we incorporate more minorities into the party.  

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Every year we are falling behind the rest of the world in reading, math, and science. Our minority communities are getting hit by this especially hard. Instead on increasing resources to improve the basics of education we are spending to much time on things outside of the basics.  Most of the world did not go to remote learning when the pandemic hit but we did putting our young people further behind. I am not saying we don't teach the bad things that have happened in this country as they did occur Rosa Parks, the Tuskegee Airmen this is part of our history as is slavery but slavery needs to be put into the context of it was the norm in the whole world from Asia, Africa, Middle East at that time in the world.  It is ok to say Jefferson and Washington had slaves but it  also must be mentioned how that was the norm in that era and that many of the principals that Jefferson espoused eventually led to the abolishment of slavery. It is OK to mention that Slavery was one of the driving forces behind the Civil War and to talk about Jim Crowe Laws, Segregation, separate bathrooms, water fountains, red lining neighborhoods but you also must talk some cities that have been run by African Americans over the last 50 years that have made life worse for minorities in those cities because they have done things like lower education standards when kids were failing instead of providing better education. Cities that like DC that spend more per student then most ISD's and yet still have low student achievement rates.

Please talk about why more and more minorities are running for office in the Republican party and winning because the Policies of the Democratic party have left them behind and that the schools run by the unions are part of the reason. Ask why so many Black and Latino Parents want school choice but are fought at every turn by the Democratic Party and the teachers Unions. 

One of the great things about this melting pot country is as demographics shift we are slowly but surely becoming a non-majority country and many of the younger minority voters are becoming Independent voters and are starting to pick candidates that reflect their values. African Americans and Latinos tend to to be Religious, morally conservative and are starting to realize they need to vote for the candidate that fits their views instead of the machine candidate.  National Elections each year Republicans gain a slightly higher percentage of the minority vote and we are  now starting to see conservative Minority candidates running in Cities that are traditionally Democratic it will take longer there as they have to overcome all the obstacles the entrenched politicians have placed in their path with patronage, large war chests, etc. but it will happen.

Failed Liberal policies in education, the economy, border security, etc. are pushing people to the Republican party which is also changing as we incorporate more minorities into the party.  

Whoa, you broke the narrative...BAD DAY FOR YOU. I predict facepalms and thumbsdown for you. Vouchers for Minority Kids to get out of failing schools? **** THAT! It would mean breaking the narrative and giving minority parents and kids power over their future. CANT ALLOW THAT!
If it comes to choosing between America's students getting a great education and the Narrative, well just sit back and watch as the kids get f'ked over just like they have for the last 40 years. We have pols in Washington telling us that they are going to "Fix Education in America" for the last 40 years and every year the Statistics show continuous decline. not even a real slowing of the decline.

From the Chart, US: 
14th in Reading
25th in Math
17th in Science 
And we outspend every nation on the planet.

PISA rankings within OECD

https://worldtop20.org/worldbesteducationsystem

2021 World Best Education Systems – Final Rankings

The World Top 20 Project’s Final Rankings of 201 nation’s education systems, best 20 educated countries for 2021: SOURCES

World Top 20 Countries

1. South Korea
2. Japan
3. Denmark
4. Netherlands
5. Australia
6. Belgium
7. Germany
8. Slovenia
9. Finland
10. Ireland
11. France
12. Singapore
13. United States
14. Canada
15. Russia
16. Portugal
17. China
18. Hong Kong
19. Sweden
20. Israel

Edited by DKW 86
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Every year we are falling behind the rest of the world in reading, math, and science. Our minority communities are getting hit by this especially hard. Instead on increasing resources to improve the basics of education we are spending to much time on things outside of the basics.  Most of the world did not go to remote learning when the pandemic hit but we did putting our young people further behind. I am not saying we don't teach the bad things that have happened in this country as they did occur Rosa Parks, the Tuskegee Airmen this is part of our history as is slavery but slavery needs to be put into the context of it was the norm in the whole world from Asia, Africa, Middle East at that time in the world. 

So teach that America wasn't actually that special or unique from the rest of the worldn and did bad things and mistreated people just like all other countries did? 

I can get behind this. 

Wayy too much nationalistic, American exceptionalism bullcrap has been taught for so long in public schools. Just teach the facts. Americas done some great things...like all other countries and Americas done some horrible things...like all others too. 

Forcing all children to stand at attention, face the flag and  pledge allegiance to it and then say a prayer every morning for 12 years isn't something that public schools should be focused on. 

It is ok to say Jefferson and Washington had slaves but it  also must be mentioned how that was the norm in that era and that many of the principals that Jefferson espoused eventually led to the abolishment of slavery.

You must also mention that the United States was one of the last major nations to fully outlaw slavery too. While The founding ideas of freedom and liberty for all sounded nice on paper, the United States didn't actually follow those principles for a long time.

It is OK to mention that Slavery was one of the driving forces behind the Civil War and to talk about Jim Crowe Laws, Segregation, separate bathrooms, water fountains, red lining neighborhoods but you also must talk some cities that have been run by African Americans over the last 50 years that have made life worse for minorities in those cities because they have done things like lower education standards when kids were failing instead of providing better education. Cities that like DC that spend more per student then most ISD's and yet still have low student achievement rates.

That sounds like 2 completely different topics, with the "But Black people cant run their own cities" angle is partisan and has nothing to do with American history curriculum and is more akin to a college essay assignment. 

There isn't really an equal counterweight to the whole..."Yeah we enslaved and persecuted black people for a long time"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

So teach that America wasn't actually that special or unique from the rest of the worldn and did bad things and mistreated people just like all other countries did? 

I can get behind this. 

Wayy too much nationalistic, American exceptionalism bullcrap has been taught for so long in public schools. Just teach the facts. Americas done some great things...like all other countries and Americas done some horrible things...like all others too. 

Forcing all children to stand at attention, face the flag and  pledge allegiance to it and then say a prayer every morning for 12 years isn't something that public schools should be focused on. 

You must also mention that the United States was one of the last major nations to fully outlaw slavery too. While The founding ideas of freedom and liberty for all sounded nice on paper, the United States didn't actually follow those principles for a long time.

That sounds like 2 completely different topics, with the "But Black people cant run their own cities" angle is partisan and has nothing to do with American history curriculum and is more akin to a college essay assignment. 

There isn't really an equal counterweight to the whole..."Yeah we enslaved and persecuted black people for a long time"

So you hate America. No one is shocked. I guess next you'll tell us you have a black friend? 

• Dislike 1

Just now, CoffeeTiger said:

Nice. Anything constructive to say? 

Be my guest.

• Like 1