This should be a wake up call for Democrats

TexasTiger

Ideas too lefty for San Francisco. If you can’t take advantage of how extreme Republicans are because the loudest voices on the left (not the majority) are touting their own extreme ideas, you need a correction.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Virginia was a wake up call.  How many wake up calls do the Democrats need?  These too far left San Francisco school board members may not be the majority, but they sure fill up the airways with their ideology and the *moderate* Democrats are too afraid to pushback because they fear being cancelled by the very people they think is too far left.  A conundrum.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Virginia was a wake up call.  How many wake up calls do the Democrats need?  These too far left San Francisco school board members may not be the majority, but they sure fill up the airways with their ideology and the *moderate* Democrats are too afraid to pushback because they fear being cancelled by the very people they think is too far left.  A conundrum.

Those moderate Democrats just recalled the progressives from office. 

That's about the biggest form of pushback you can have. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Those moderate Democrats just recalled the progressives from office. 

That's about the biggest form of pushback you can have. 

That’s the point.  The moderate Democrats that vote are sending a message to the *moderate* Democrats that run for office they better wake up.  The Democrats the run for office have not gauged the voting public very well and the real voters they need on their side are the Independents.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

That’s the point.  The moderate Democrats that vote are sending a message to the *moderate* Democrats that run for office they better wake up.  The Democrats the run for office have not gauged the voting public very well and the real voters they need on their side are the Independents.

maybe their getting the message. 

Even the mayor of San Francisco supported the recall effort. 

• Like 1

Honestly, if the left found some middle ground it would be healthier for the country.  Even competition between the two parties breeds better ideas for the people, not a grid lock between warring factions when one party is dominant

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From Politico;

Democrats’ own research shows that some battleground voters think the party is “preachy,” “judgmental” and “focused on culture wars,” according to documents obtained by POLITICO.

And the party’s House campaign arm had a stark warning for Democrats: Unless they more forcefully confront the GOP’s “alarmingly potent” culture war attacks, from critical race theory to defunding the police, they risk losing significant ground to Republicans in the midterms.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/15/gop-culture-war-attacks-alarmingly-potent-dccc-warns-00009265

https://amac.us/are-democrats-nightmare-polls-getting-worse/

According to a poll released this week from Trafalgar, one of the most accurate polling groups from 2016, 2020, and 2021, on a generic 2022 Congressional ballot, Americans would vote for a Republican as opposed to a Democrat by a margin of 54.4% to 41.9%. Translation? Things are already looking very grim for Democrats, and that’s probably not going to change.

To make matters worse, Nancy Pelosi announced recently that she will indeed be running for re-election. A Morning Consult/Politico poll conducted January 11 – 12 shows that 59% of American voters have an unfavorable opinion of her – a nearly 10 point jump in her unfavorables from April 2021, just around the time she and House Democrats were warming up the jets to try and ram through their radical progressive agenda.

Over in the Senate, Republicans need just one seat to flip control of the chamber in their favor. Already, Democrat Senators from swing states who hitched their wagons to Biden’s radical agenda are underwater with their voters. Senator Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire – who won by a mere 1,017 votes in 2016 – has an approval rating of 45 percent among New Hampshire voters, according to a Saint Anselm College poll (January 11-12). Democrat Senator Mark Kelly of Arizona, who beat Republican Martha McSally in 2020, also has a serious problem on his hands, with a Data for Progress poll  (January 21-24) putting him at just a 46 percent favorable rating. It goes without saying that both of those embattled incumbents will need more than 45-46% of the vote to win this November.

Hypothetical Senate 2022 matchups add yet another layer to the troubling outlook for Democrats. A Cygnal poll (January 12-13) shows incumbent Democrat Senator Michael Bennet of Colorado losing out to a generic Republican 44.8% to 45.9%, with education being a main flash point for Colorado voters. In Georgia, a Quinnipiac poll (Jan. 19-24) also has first-time candidate Herschel Walker narrowly leading incumbent Raphael Warnock. But while 30% of respondents say they haven’t heard enough about Walker to weigh in on him, only 13% say the same for Warnock – in other words, while Walker likely still has more potential support out there to win with increased name recognition and messaging efforts, Warnock has already proven who he is to most voters, and they don’t like what they see.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/16/politics/house-democrats-retirements/index.html

Last year, the Republicans seeing the handwriting on the wall were the ones retiring.

Fast forward to 2022...

From Chris Cillizza/CNN: House Democrats are retiring in numbers not seen in decades as a dire political outlook, new district lines and a negative environment at the US Capitol have combined into a toxic brew for lawmakers considering their political futures.

On Tuesday, New York Rep. Kathleen Rice became the 30th Democrat to announce plans to not seek re-election in 2022. By comparison, only 13 House Republicans are planning to call it quits or seek higher office.
"I entered public service 30 years ago and never left," said Rice of her decision. "I have always believed that holding political office is neither a destiny nor a right. As elected officials, we must give all we have and then know when it is time to allow others to serve."
The 30 House Democratic retirements are the most for the party since 1992, when a whopping 41(!) Democrats walked away from their seats. If one more House Democrat retires before the election, the 2022 cycle will tie the 1976 and 1978 election cycles as the second most retirements in modern history for the party, with 31. Democrats have already seen more retirements in this cycle than the last two elections combined.

Amy Walter, the editor of the Cook Political Report, a non-partisan campaign tip sheet, cites three main reasons for the Democratic exodus. First, she told me the national environment; "it's bad out there for Democrats," she said. Second, the weight of history; "they all know that it's hard for party in White House to pick up seats. They can only afford to lose 5. They can do math." And, finally the "environment" in the Capitol itself; "Talk to any member or staffer and they'll tell you morale is low. It's a combination of January 6th, a lack of civility, plus a frustration with a fact that most legislation is leadership driven instead of member driven."

The simple fact is this: Democrats see the writing on the wall. Many are opting to retire rather than either lose a reelection bid or become a member of the minority party in the House in January 2023. And that is causing a vicious cycle that further narrows Democrats' chances this November.

One unfortunate reality exists.  Whoever wins will spend spend and spend money we don't have to make one group or another happy and damn the future.  Instead of taking care of what is important, like the health care needs of the citizens of the reported richest country the world has ever seen, we will do God only knows what for God only knows why and pretend all is well.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

Honestly, if the left found some middle ground it would be healthier for the country.  Even competition between the two parties breeds better ideas for the people, not a grid lock between warring factions when one party is dominant

Where’s that middle ground on the right? 

These school board members aren’t where most Biden voters are.

• Like 1

Now this, this is great.  You see, most D’s are repentant about the fact they helped elect a brain dead potato to be president.  Some righteous shame, I mean we’ve all made mistakes……

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brand-toxic-dems-fear-extinction-052403735.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Where’s that middle ground on the right? 

These school board members aren’t where most Biden voters are.

If you look at the two parties right now and conclude R needs to find middle ground, I’m just not sure this country will have the type of govt you’re looking for

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, pensacolatiger said:

If you look at the two parties right now and conclude R needs to find middle ground, I’m just not sure this country will have the type of govt you’re looking for

I’m looking for a functioning democratic republic. Republicans are moving in the other direction in which elections are overturned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

The majority of those in leadership positions in the Republican party are still supporting absolute lies while pretending that Trump should have won the last election.  How the heck can you have a real conversation with someone that knowingly pushes this lie to their supporters?

• Like 1

The “push back” to the liberal/woke agenda continues to gather momentum.

The OP was lacking in specifics, but I assume it was in reference to the San Francisco USD school board recall. When an overwhelming majority of a decidedly left-leaning population decides that you suck at your job, you may actually suck at your job.

Expending time, energy and, most relevantly, money on the veneer (renaming schools, etc.) of education and not actually addressing staffing and runaway spending and THEN have the unmitigated gall to double down on arrogance when community members call you on it? Good way to get the ziggy. Those three former board members can go kick rocks.

(Aside: Similar sort of thing needs to happen to Trudeau in Canada, but I'm less optimistic about that. One can hope, though.)

Something that happened in Virginia and also happened in San Francisco is that minority groups that traditionally value high achievement in education (Asian, both Far East and South, and immigrant African come to mind immediately) will not tolerate any sort of what they perceive to be "lowering the bar" as far as rigor in curriculum, and they want schools to focus on the meat (curriculum) and not the peripheral "wokeness" that they largely view as a distraction. These same groups may be liberal in other ways, but not when it comes to their own kids. 

Edited by SLAG-91
Clarity

On 2/16/2022 at 12:15 PM, TexasTiger said:

Ideas too lefty for San Francisco. If you can’t take advantage of how extreme Republicans are because the loudest voices on the left (not the majority) are touting their own extreme ideas, you need a correction.

i agree. hell even bill maher brings that up regular.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The majority of those in leadership positions in the Republican party are still supporting absolute lies while pretending that Trump should have won the last election.  How the heck can you have a real conversation with someone that knowingly pushes this lie to their supporters?

If you understood statistics, the numerous illegal moves by rogue secretary of states, and used any level of critical thinking when reading about the election, you’d understand how funny your post is

• Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

If you understood statistics, the numerous illegal moves by rogue secretary of states, and used any level of critical thinking when reading about the election, you’d understand how funny your post is

I understand elections and I know how ignorant and lacking in factual basis any claim like the one you are vaguely making actually is.  I have worked in Georgia elections for over 25 years. The REPUBLICAN Sec of State simply refused to commit treason and throw out enough legal votes to change the outcome.  For that, he has been attacked personally and professionally.  How can you justify that?  What statistics change that fact?

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I understand elections and I know how ignorant and lacking in factual basis any claim like the one you are vaguely making actually is.  I have worked in Georgia elections for over 25 years. The REPUBLICAN Sec of State simply refused to commit treason and throw out enough legal votes to change the outcome.  For that, he has been attacked personally and professionally.  How can you justify that?  What statistics change that fact?

Now we’re getting somewhere.  What’s your definition of “legal”?  Because the votes Trump mentioned in the call were all examples of illegal.  Valuing your experience, I’d like to know where your definition and his contrasted.

• Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

Now we’re getting somewhere.  What’s your definition of “legal”?  Because the votes Trump mentioned in the call were all examples of illegal.  Valuing your experience, I’d like to know where your definition and his contrasted.

The problems he mentioned were fairy tales.  They weren't real and never were.  I'm not in favor or prosecuting the man over the phone call, but it does show an incredible lack of judgment and awareness of how things work on his part. Nothing is more distorted and uninformed more than his attack on the Dominion voting systems.  The Georgia Republican legislature pushed through, with an enormous cost to local governments, those systems prior to the 2020 election. Not only are the systems secure, but they literally print a paper ballot for each voter to review before placing it into a third collection machine inside the voting precinct.

In that call, Trump mentioned dead people voting. The state found 2 valid claims and those were both instances where a family member filled out the absentee ballot that had been sent to the home pursuant to a valid request before the voter had died.  Had the voter sent in their absentee ballot and subsequently died before the election day, the vote would be a valid vote.  Trump's false allegations have caused an incredible amount of harm to our system.  Without some degree of trust, the entire system will fail and we will find ourselves looking more like Russia and less like the America we have been in the past.

Election supervisors all over the state have had right wing nut jobs coming into their office demanding to see their ballot showing that their vote counted.  That is impossible to provide and also impossible to get them to understand.  Our system depends on the idea of a secret ballot.  Vote for who or what you want without the threat of reprisal.

• Thanks 1