John Durham - Making a killing and finding nothing since 2018.

AU9377

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Just from this last page...tell me again about those ad hominem attacks you claim? But you want to engage, right? 

Again, you have been judged and proven lacking.

Caecus es ad te ipsum

I thought I made it pretty clear I have an unfortunate habit of reciprocating personal attacks. 

This whole thread started with you riffing off my definition of a lie.  You took my straightforward assessment that pushing a point or idea that one knows is not true (paraphrasing your question) is a lie

That's the last substantive thing that was said in this exchange.  The next thing I know you are using that to imply I am an extreme leftist and a hippocrite. 

You went on to call me a liar - among other things - without introducing a single substantive point or quote from me to defend or support any of those accusations.

Now you are trying to impugn me for simply responding  to you with in-kind insults? :rolleyes:

Simply fling poo at me and I will fling poo at you.  I admit that.  Like I said, it's a weakness.

Respond as vigorously to a substantive point - like anything I have said or any point I have made - even with insults and I will engage in a debate on it.  After all, that's what I do.

But you took my (accurate) definition of a lie - even agreeing with you - and immediately responding by twisting that into an implication of me as an "extreme leftist" and a "hippocrite".  Thanks to my unfortunate habit of reciprocating, things went south from there. 

But at no point did you introduce anything of actual substance - such as a point I have made in the past that supports your accusations of "extreme leftist" and "hippocrite". 

That's the bottom line and it's true.

And whatever reputation I may have among snowflake conservatives who insulted my intelligence is not evidence of extremism or hippocrisy. 

In most every case I have flamed or insulted others it's because of something specific they actually said or a specific point they were trying to make. 

If such flaming responses to a substantive issue is out of bounds, then where's the fun?

Bottom line, I am not asking for your respect or affection, but if you are going to flame me, base it on something I actually said instead of how you feel about me.

Edited by homersapien
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I thought I made it pretty clear that I would reciprocate attacks

Respond in kind? Show where you were attacked or where I called you names. 

33 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Well I don’t remember the exact quote now, but I did originally present you with it and you tried to deny it. I then presented you with a definition of the exact phrase you used which is commonly excepted as preferring something to happen. 

You lied about it then and are lying about it still. I think others on here were shocked you would stoop that low. 

If you "don't remember" the actual words then you have no standing to say I am "lying" about it, by definition.

You are no better than bird in that regard.

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Bottom line, I am not asking for your respect or affection, but if you are going to flame me, base it on something I actually said instead of how you feel about me.

I don't agree with much you say, but you are one of my most highly regarded posters. You're intelligent, articulate, well read and researched, and highly passionate. Those are tremendous qualities.  I base my interactions on your actions and your words. That's it.  Your posting history, style, and interactions with others is how I see you not how I feel about you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Respond in kind? Show where you were attacked or where I called you names. 

Seriously?

You immediately implied I was an "extremist" and a "hippocrite" for simply saying anyone who pushes a narrative they know isn't true, is lying.

You didn't produce an example of where I did that, you just implied I did on a regular basis.  That's BS.

I have never pushed anything related to facts that I knew to be false.

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Seriously?

You immediately implied I was an "extremist" and a "hippocrite" for simply saying anyone who pushes a narrative they know isn't true, is lying.

You didn't produce an example of where I did that, you just implied I did on a regular basis.  That's BS.

I have never pushed anything related to facts that I knew to be false.

When I called you a fringe leftist, you admitted to being okay associated with that group. So me calling you one isn't attacking you. It's using the label you agreed to.

A hypocrite is a description of historical behavior. Using it to describe one with hypocritical views and applications isn't calling names, it's an accurate adjective.

You may not like the words I chose. They may be mean and direct, but they are not inaccurate based on your pattern of views and posting history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I don't agree with much you say, but you are one of my most highly regarded posters. You're intelligent, articulate, well read and researched, and highly passionate. Those are tremendous qualities.  I base my interactions on your actions and your words. That's it.  Your posting history, style, and interactions with others is how I see you not how I feel about you.

First, I am assuming that by "see" you mean a cognitive reaction based on actual statements and "feel" as an emotional reaction to my style, or even effectiveness.

So I am asking you to show me the words you are basing your insults on as a matter of cognitive reasoning.  You have yet to do so.

And if you cannot support your insults - made in this thread - on the actual, specific  statements I have made - in this or any other thread - then there is no difference between how you see me and how you feel about me. 

Capisce?

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First, I am assuming that by "see" you mean a cognitive reaction based on actual statements and "feel" as an emotional reaction to my style, or even effectiveness.

No.

I see you as an intelligent, compassionate, passionate person. One who is well read, researched, and weathered.  You have an impressive and well-rounded knowledge base.

I feel your an a**hole a lot of the times just to try and be an a**hole. I also feel you tend to be disingenuous in any interaction we've ever had. I feel you try and bully and belittle whenever you receive any pushback. 

None of those 2nd things defines who you are in my eyes.  I don't judge you for what's in your heart. I only go by how you interact with others, what you comment on, what you chose to defend and let go, what bias do you present, and where you get your information.

Just now, bigbird said:

When I called you a fringe leftist, you admitted to being okay associated with that group. So me calling you one isn't attacking you. It's using the label you agreed to.

A hypocrite is a description of historical behavior. Using it to describe one with hypocritical views and applications isn't calling names, it's an accurate adjective.

You may not like the words I chose. They may be mean and direct, but they are not inaccurate based on your pattern of views and posting history.

Again, I was not agreeing that I was extreme, I don't believe I am.

It was in the contest of my saying well if Tiger and Fifty are "extreme" then count me in.  It's a sarcastic way of saying that neither Tiger, nor Fifty, nor me are actually extreme.

It's a very traditional way of telling someone they are being hyperbolic in whatever definition they are using - in this case "extemist".

So insisting I "admitted" to being an extremist is a sophomoric "gotcha" way of trying to support your argument of me being an extremist.  Especially if that's all you've got.

And again, if you are going to characterize someone as a "hippocrite without any substantive examples then you lack standing. 

If that's an "accurate" adjective as you say, you need to provide some evidence to prove that. Otherwise, it's just a BS accusation.

It's exactly the same as calling someone a "liar" without being able to produce the actual lie.  Anyone who does that is not worth my time or attention.

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Again, I was not agreeing that I was extreme, I don't believe I am.

It was in the contest of my saying well if Tiger and Fifty are "extreme" then count me in.  It's a sarcastic way of saying that neither Tiger, nor Fifty, nor me are actually extreme.

It's a very traditional way of telling someone they are being hyperbolic in whatever definition they are using - in this case "extemist".

So insisting I "admitted" to being an extremist is a sophomoric "gotcha" way of trying to support your argument of me being an extremist.  Especially if that's all you've got.

And again, if you are going to characterize someone as a "hippocrite without any substantive examples then you lack standing. 

If that's an "accurate" adjective as you say, you need to provide some evidence to prove that. Otherwise, it's just a BS accusation.

It's exactly the same as calling someone a "liar" without being able to produce the actual lie.  Anyone who does that is not worth my time or attention.

As far a quoting examples, there is no need when your the only one that will deny it. Everyone else understands what I'm saying about you and your posting as true.

it's like telling someone to prove I'm sarcastic. There's no need. Everyone knows it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If you "don't remember" the actual words then you have no standing to say I am "lying" about it, by definition.

You are no better than bird in that regard.

To refresh your memory.....

WOULD (JUST) AS SOON | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Homer's Lies.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No.

I see you as an intelligent, compassionate, passionate person. One who is well read, researched, and weathered.  You have an impressive and well-rounded knowledge base.

I feel your an a**hole a lot of the times just to try and be an a**hole. I also feel you tend to be disingenuous in any interaction we've ever had. I feel you try and bully and belittle whenever you receive any pushback. 

None of those 2nd things defines who you are in my eyes.  I don't judge you for what's in your heart. I only go by how you interact with others, what you comment on, what you chose to defend and let go, what bias do you present, and where you get your information.

Well, if you want to call me an a**hole, I'll plead guilty.  That's an emotional reaction that doesn't require evidence other than style.  And as the saying goes, there's no accounting for style.

Same goes for exhibiting bias.  Everyone does that, including me.

But if you want to label me an "extremist" or "hippocrite" or a "liar", those are the sort of insults that demand justification on actual evidence.

(Well, except for maybe "extremist" which is highly subjective. But I would still like to see some examples to establish your standards, which I can argue.)

Finally, anyone that belittles others posts (with gifs) as you do - without actually commenting on said post - has little standing to accuse others of belittling.

Now that's hippocritical.

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

As far a quoting examples, there is no need when your the only one that will deny it. Everyone else understands what I'm saying about you and your posting as true.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Sorry, I tried to find your favorite, but failed.

Isn't the "serious" debate forum great! 

Edited by homersapien

25 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

OK.  Your right.

Apparently, I did say I "would just as soon they die", referring to political or conspiracy objectors. You certainly proved that by my quote.

I think I also made the analogy at the time to someone who makes a conscience decision to get drunk and drive.  Either case involves irresponsible behavior that can have catastrophic effects on others that are totally innocent,  so I am not apologizing for saying it.

I still feel  that "I would just as soon as" is not the same as I would rather but will concede to your argument.  You are right.

So, I would still rather have them get vaccinated, but if they choose not to for a stupid reason, we're better off without them. I think I probably said that also.  And I meant it.

Edited by homersapien

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

it's like telling someone to prove I'm sarcastic. There's no need. Everyone knows it.

Sarcasm is the rule of this forum.  You're no worse than anyone else.

As for as presenting examples, a (valid) example cannot be denied by definition, as I proved above with wde above.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Show where you were attacked

I consider calling someone an extremist and a hippocrite a personal attack.  And again, to make be clear, I don't mind personal attacks if they are based on substance - which I can at least attempt to defend.

But your attack came from my reasonable definition of a lie.  In other words, you started this nonsense because you apparently don't like my style.  It's certainly not from anything I have actually said in this thread. 

(Ironically enough you have actually praised me once as being the most effective liberal poster.)

Edited by homersapien

Wait, so your upset I post ICHY's gif in response to his facepalms? Priceless... please let that be true.

Someone sounds a bit sensitive today. Wow, I thought you'd have thicker skin.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Bro, Stop. We've all seen this story before. He cant admit the truth, nor that he EVER made a mistake at anytime in his life. His tiny (manhood) wont allow it.

• Haha 1

Warning! Go toe to toe with homey, prove him wrong and he'll ignore you permanently. In that regard he is a P word. I still enjoy some of his perspectives. Oh and particularly how impressed he is with himself. ;D

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

Wait, so your upset I post ICHY's gif in response to his facepalms? Priceless... please let that be true.

Someone sounds a bit sensitive today. Wow, I thought you'd have thicker skin.

Admittedly I am dealing with some personal issues that affect my patience and tolerance.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Admittedly I am dealing with some personal issues that affect my patience and tolerance.

Me too, brother. 

War Eagle, buddy. Hope things smooth out on you path.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1