Rejoice! Biden is canceling up to $10K in student loans, $20K for Pell Grant recipients for borrowers making less than $125k/year

Didba

17 hours ago, autigeremt said:

As much as I detest the condition of this country (caused by the two party machine) THEY did help to create this debacle....and as much as I feel it's a political stunt (because I don't see them giving a damn most of the time) it can be seen as only fair in some ways since the government has blood on its hands. 

Of course it's just one of many methodical "crimes" against the citizen they have committed. 

correct me if i am wrong but did not trump discuss this off and on? if so why is it political now and not for him? plus i am pretty sure biden stated he was going to look into it.

20 hours ago, Didba said:

Its a case by case basis. Some are very mature at 18, some are not, hell some are still not very mature at 25.

Completely agree.  Heck, some people are in their 30s and still aren’t able to make “adult” decisions.  However, from a legal standpoint there needs to be an objective standard.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Completely agree.  Heck, some people are in their 30s and still aren’t able to make “adult” decisions.  However, from a legal standpoint there needs to be an objective standard.  

Now you are speaking my language. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

You dont understand that that has really nothing to do with the reality. You are just picking what you want to see here. I am telling you that I have a kid in college, with some college loans at the moment, making less than $125K/year and no one I know qualifies for this s***. THAT is the reality. You are deliberately missing the point here. 

Let me try again: Pols say things that arent true in any sense of the word all day long and 2x on Sunday. This is one of those times.

This isn't from pols. it is from me. my experiences and I know tons of people in undergrad or law school that had no issue getting loans from the Feds. I am not deliberately missing the point, I m telling you what I have experienced, just like you are telling me what have.

Question though... Are these federal loans you are referring to or private loans?

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

OMG...how myopic. Almost anyone qualifies for Pell Grants. Hell, most of the athletes in America, no matter where they come from are now on Pell Grants. PGs are tools to aid colleges in recruiting students of all stripes.

Got cites for that?  Everything I read defines the eligibility as: "Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need." .

Not trying to refute you, just trying to figure out what's what.  I never used pell grants so my knowledge is purely from google

Edited by Didba

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

OMG...how myopic. Almost anyone qualifies for Pell Grants. Hell, most of the athletes in America, no matter where they come from are now on Pell Grants. PGs are tools to aid colleges in recruiting students of all stripes.

Unfortunately that’s not true - at least not for me…..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

THIS. 

I am upset that the people getting the money really dont need it. My son is in college, we dont get s***.

I am getting the money. I need it. I am middle class and had no issue getting loans.

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Got cites for that?  Everything I read defines the eligibility as: "Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need." .

Not trying to refute you, just trying to figure out what's what.  I never used pell grants so my knowledge is purely from google

Covering sports here in Alabama. Almost every kid worth a damn in Div 1 is taking Pell Grants. Most college ath dept have whole adm focused on keeping them in Pell Grants. They usually drive the nicer cars on campus.

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

I am getting the money. I need it. I am middle class and had no issue getting loans.

We didnt get a dime....But then again, we signed out loans and never asked for help to pay them off. Getting bail out money would make me feel like trump at some level, so there's that.

35 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Unfortunately that’s not true - at least not for me…..

You need a better 40 time, lol

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 3:38 PM, Didba said:

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/24/1118879917/student-loan-forgiveness-biden

This is amazing and a seriously blessing.  It will not wipe out my debt from law school but will seriously help.  Any little bit does. But for many others with less than 10-20k left to pay it is a godsend.

@auburn41 in shambles... 🤣 /s

I can't seem to remember co-signing for "YOUR" loan and now you are nothing more than just another parasite on society!

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

My family was MUCH LESS than "Middle Class", I worked basically full time while taking classes and DID work more than full time in summers to put myself through school with loans. Yes, my classes load took as much time each day or more than you obtaining a law degree. At NO point did I expect somebody else to pay for my loans and neither should you.!

7 minutes ago, keywest said:

My family was MUCH LESS than "Middle Class", I worked basically full time while taking classes and DID work more than full time in summers to put myself through school with loans. Yes, my classes load took as much time each day or more than you obtaining a law degree. At NO point did I expect somebody else to pay for my loans and neither should you.!

/s?

Only in the politics forum can you be completely uncertain as to whether someone is being sarcastic or not. 

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

This has become a pitiful discussion.

Yes, it is completely amazing we have gotten to a point in society that one group of people EXPECT another group to pay THEIR debt! Democrats are creating another group of parasites on society that expect producers to over compensate for non-producers

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Only in the politics forum can you be completely uncertain as to whether someone is being sarcastic or not. 

Expecting someone to pay the debt they created is sarcastic? 

20 minutes ago, keywest said:

Expecting someone to pay the debt they created is sarcastic? 

Okay so not sarcastic. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, keywest said:

I can't seem to remember co-signing for "YOUR" loan and now you are nothing more than just another parasite on society!

Dude, I’m a lawyer about to pay off my loans in just about 8 years. You don’t know s*** about me so don’t come in here and call me a parasite.

Just because I support this politically and will gladly take $10k off my $170k loans doesn’t mean I’m a parasite especially when I’m about to pay off every cent of the $160k that’s left with hard work at the firm every day. 

Be less presumptuous. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Do I believe that everyone should pay back their loans they take out? Yes….but I don’t get the outrage. 

This amounts to about 4% of yearly federal spending. Our government throws around that kinda dough like it’s nothing all the time. However, I think they should make cuts in spots that we don’t need to be spending. For instance, cut a little off military spending for the next 5-10 years and you can pay it off or scrap some of that junk in the infrastructure bill. 

One of the only issues I have with this is, is some of the folks that have $100-150K in debt and don’t have a degree that can remotely pay that back. That’s just bad decisions. Also, we’re there cheaper options to get the same education? I personally know someone that has over $120K in student loans and has a degree in radio communication and is working a job only making $40K for Allstate. 

There needs to be accountability for the schools not to raise tuition just because students have more access to money. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Do I believe that everyone should pay back their loans they take out? Yes….but I don’t get the outrage. 

This amounts to about 4% of yearly federal spending. Our government throws around that kinda dough like it’s nothing all the time. However, I think they should make cuts in spots that we don’t need to be spending. For instance, cut a little off military spending for the next 5-10 years and you can pay it off or scrap some of that junk in the infrastructure bill. 

One of the only issues I have with this is, is some of the folks that have $100-150K in debt and don’t have a degree that can remotely pay that back. That’s just bad decisions. Also, we’re there cheaper options to get the same education? I personally know someone that has over $120K in student loans and has a degree in radio communication and is working a job only making $40K for Allstate. 

There needs to be accountability for the schools not to raise tuition just because students have more access to money. 

imo there needs to be better student counseling mandated before some are allowed to choose a major with a low future salary.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, keywest said:

I would rather starve people of basic necessities, create massive welfare and, huge prison populations than simply be a decent, generous member of a civil, prosperous, peaceful society.  I would rather create parasites than help create taxpayers.

I just spitballing here but I will go out on a limb and guess that you are Republican and quite possibly a "christian" conservative.

Investing in society has a positive return on investment.  Not investing in our society will make the whole country Alabama/Mississippi.

• Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

correct me if i am wrong but did not trump discuss this off and on? if so why is it political now and not for him? plus i am pretty sure biden stated he was going to look into it.

This goes back well before Orange and no mind Biden. 

8 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I would rather starve people of basic necessities, create massive welfare and, huge prison populations than simply be a decent, generous member of a civil, prosperous, peaceful society.  I would rather create parasites than help create taxpayers.

I just spitballing here but I will go out on a limb and guess that you are Republican and quite possibly a "christian" conservative.

Investing in society has a positive return on investment.  Not investing in our society will make the whole country Alabama/Mississippi.

I'm somebody that doesn't EXPECT to pay for YOUR debt and poor choices! I'll just spitball and guess your a typical leftist loon with twisted ideology that will never allow yourself to understand these parasites will always make poor life choices and continue to be parasites

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, keywest said:

You are 100% a self-entitled parasite if you EXPECT somebody to pay ANY YOUR debt! You can spin, make excuses or try to justify how ever you want but you completely lack any ethics or morals taking somebody's extorted money to pay for YOUR choice and DEBT.

the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif.f9b14e21d1884709e61916dc4448a8c5.gif

Also fyi all capping words for emphasis is really bad writing. One of the many things I learned while getting a wonderful higher education.

Edited by Didba
  • Haha 1