Rejoice! Biden is canceling up to $10K in student loans, $20K for Pell Grant recipients for borrowers making less than $125k/year

Didba

7 hours ago, Didba said:

the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif.f9b14e21d1884709e61916dc4448a8c5.gif

Also fyi all capping words for emphasis is really bad writing. One of the many things I learned while getting a wonderful higher education.

Larry the Cable Guy, set to perform Sunday in Huntsville, talks about life  | Local News | enewscourier.com

11 hours ago, keywest said:

I'm somebody that doesn't EXPECT to pay for YOUR debt and poor choices! I'll just spitball and guess your a typical leftist loon with twisted ideology that will never allow yourself to understand these parasites will always make poor life choices and continue to be parasites

You're a bit of an ass, you know that?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

He’s just mad. About what? Not really sure.

Seemingly mad about parasites who are going to pay 160k out of 170k of their student loans in under ten years. Who is that you ask? Surely not I. 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Larry the Cable Guy, set to perform Sunday in Huntsville, talks about life  | Local News | enewscourier.com

Glad you enjoyed it. As much as you and I disagree we have never devolved to calling each other bitter names. I respect many of you because you guys listen but disagree with me while respecting my opinion/knowledge. 

this other guy though, coming in here call people parasites not knowing anything. He’s the worst type of person on both sides. 

Along ole KeyWest’s line of thinking then Trump is a parasite as well. He’s had over $287 million in debt forgiven through bankruptcy. Wait I forgot. That’s just smart business tactics by the smartest businessman on the planet. 

• Like 5

This debt relief in no way addresses the root problem - which is the increase in the cost of college over the last 50 years.

Just as an example, when I enrolled at Auburn in the summer of 1969, I think tuition was around $600/quarter ($1,800 / yr.)  That was low enough that if you worked hard at a reasonably good job you could put yourself through school, even if you had to take a quarter off occasionally to work full time (which I did).  (It didn't hurt that I got a good paying jobs in construction and a steel by-products factory.)

Then I went to graduate school on a graduate assistanceship, which meant I worked part-time conducting research and teaching for my sponsoring professor.

My wife - who relocated full time to Auburn from Florida in order to establish Alabama residency - worked both full time (for one year) and part time for the rest of her enrollment.  She did graduate with a Pell Grant loan of $10,000 - at a low interest rate - which we paid off on schedule.

These are the sort of numbers - even at that time - that working class people can deal with. (I was the first in my family to graduate college.) 

But the numbers I see today are just staggering.  I don't know the exact or complete reasons for the change - lack of state support, inflation of costs, wasteful budgeting, miss-directed curricula, bad decisions, whatever... But it seems to me that - just like we need public education for the general good - we need to make higher education more attainable for everyone with the desire and capability to succeed at it.

(As an aside, we have a very effective and very affordable technical college system in our county which is something that needs to be emphasized nation wide.)

Bottom line, education is critical to our success as a democracy, and like it or not, we participate in a global economy.  I am sure Biden's action will help some people who desperately need it, but it doesn't address the problem directly.  At least it will perhaps shine a light on the problem.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 5:04 PM, DKW 86 said:

Really, paying off the debts if rich people is doing something for the middle class? Strange views there people.

This is helping a lot of poor and middle class people. 

pell grants are a need based grant that theoretically only goes to those with limited financial resources. It overwhelmingly assists the poor. You seeing athletes that get pell grants while driving nice cars doesn’t refute that. 

In every government program there are going to be some people who take advantage of it who don’t ‘need it’ and that’ll be the same here, but it’s also going to benefit Millions of people who Do need loan assistance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Along ole KeyWest’s line of thinking then Trump is a parasite as well. He’s had over $287 million in debt forgiven through bankruptcy. Wait I forgot. That’s just smart business tactics by the smartest businessman on the planet. 

Conservatives love to see the wealthy get bailouts, tax loopholes and tax cuts because their entire economic philosophy revolves around the narrative that the wealthier the nations elites and corporations get the better the economy grows, and the more wealth that will ‘trickle down’ to everyone else. Anyone who isn’t already a wealthy businessperson is just considered a parasite that wastes any government money they are given. 

They jizz their pants at the idea of a $10 million government subsidy and 30 years of tax exemptions to a corporation being used to build a business that create 10-20 $10/hr jobs.  That’s considered peak capitalistic efficiency to Conservatives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

This is helping a lot of poor and middle class people. 

pell grants are a need based grant that theoretically only goes to those with limited financial resources. It overwhelmingly assists the poor. You seeing athletes that get pell grants while driving nice cars doesn’t refute that. 

In every government program there are going to be some people who take advantage of it who don’t ‘need it’ and that’ll be the same here, but it’s also going to benefit Millions of people who Do need loan assistance.

Look, it did nothing to curb runaway increases in tuition. We did nothing for those that did it right before. We helped only those that were doing it wrong. They signed the loans. Middle class America did not. This is nothing short of a temporary, vote buying scam with the taxpayers picking up the tab. 

19 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Look, it did nothing to curb runaway increases in tuition. We did nothing for those that did it right before. We helped only those that were doing it wrong. They signed the loans. Middle class America did not. This is nothing short of a temporary, vote buying scam with the taxpayers picking up the tab. 

Middle class America signed lots of loans in the last fifteen years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

Because I don't want to pay somebody else debt they created? Great sound rational thinking!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

This debt relief in no way addresses the root problem - which is the increase in the cost of college over the last 50 years.

Just as an example, when I enrolled at Auburn in the summer of 1969, I think tuition was around $600/quarter ($1,800 / yr.)  That was low enough that if you worked hard at a reasonably good job you could put yourself through school, even if you had to take a quarter off occasionally to work full time (which I did).  (It didn't hurt that I got a good paying jobs in construction and a steel by-products factory.)

Then I went to graduate school on a graduate assistanceship, which meant I worked part-time conducting research and teaching for my sponsoring professor.

My wife - who relocated full time to Auburn from Florida in order to establish Alabama residency - worked both full time (for one year) and part time for the rest of her enrollment.  She did graduate with a Pell Grant loan of $10,000 - at a low interest rate - which we paid off on schedule.

These are the sort of numbers - even at that time - that working class people can deal with. (I was the first in my family to graduate college.) 

But the numbers I see today are just staggering.  I don't know the exact or complete reasons for the change - lack of state support, inflation of costs, wasteful budgeting, miss-directed curricula, bad decisions, whatever... But it seems to me that - just like we need public education for the general good - we need to make higher education more attainable for everyone with the desire and capability to succeed at it.

(As an aside, we have a very effective and very affordable technical college system in our county which is something that needs to be emphasized nation wide.)

Bottom line, education is critical to our success as a democracy, and like it or not, we participate in a global economy.  I am sure Biden's action will help some people who desperately need it, but while it doesn't address the problem directly, at least it will perhaps shine a light on the problem.

The Democrats shed light on the problem when they took over the student loan program as a part of the ACA. It’s been a resounding success…….

5 hours ago, Didba said:

He’s just mad. About what? Not really sure.

Seemingly mad about parasites who are going to pay 160k out of 170k of their student loans in under ten years. Who is that you ask? Surely not I. 

YES! Mad about the possibly of paying SOMEBODY else's debt they CREATED. YOU 100% choose recklessly to obtain 160k-170k in debt of free will and now you want to have the federal government EXTORT money from someone to pay YOUR debt. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Didba said:

Glad you enjoyed it. As much as you and I disagree we have never devolved to calling each other bitter names. I respect many of you because you guys listen but disagree with me while respecting my opinion/knowledge. 

this other guy though, coming in here call people parasites not knowing anything. He’s the worst type of person on both sides. 

I KNOW YOU created the debt and YOU should pay it off! Expecting someone else to pay you DEBT is a parasite. Again, you can spin however you wish and make excuses, IT IS YOUR DEBT!

3 hours ago, keywest said:

YES! Mad about the possibly of paying SOMEBODY else's debt they CREATED. YOU 100% choose recklessly to obtain 160k-170k in debt of free will and now you want to have the federal government EXTORT money from someone to pay YOUR debt. 

Dude I have a law degree. Not reckless. I’m gonna pay my loans off in 9 years, which is the fastest you can pay them off. Do I need to keep repeating myself? 

3 hours ago, keywest said:

I KNOW YOU created the debt and YOU should pay it off! Expecting someone else to pay you DEBT is a parasite. Again, you can spin however you wish and make excuses, IT IS YOUR DEBT!

I am gonna pay it off. I’ve said that several times. I think you are a bit confused, bud. 

I never said I wasn’t gonna pay off my loans. 

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

The Democrats shed light on the problem when they took over the student loan program as a part of the ACA. It’s been a resounding success…….

So insightful. Thank you. 

4 hours ago, keywest said:

Because I don't want to pay somebody else debt they created? Great sound rational thinking!

Actually, it is because you would rather someone become a burden to society than,,, help them to become a happy, productive member.  It's quite simple.  We ALL take from our society, we all benefit, we are America.  Some people want to give back, reinvest,,, some people do not.  Some people believe in equality and fairness,,, some people believe in pure power.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Didba said:

Middle class America signed lots of loans in the last fifteen years.

And paid them off...

11 hours ago, Didba said:

Dude I have a law degree. Not reckless. I’m gonna pay my loans off in 9 years, which is the fastest you can pay them off. Do I need to keep repeating myself? 

Did you take the $10k reduction? Then you are the problem.

• Dislike 1

10 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Actually, it is because you would rather someone become a burden to society than,,, help them to become a happy, productive member.  It's quite simple.  We ALL take from our society, we all benefit, we are America.  Some people want to give back, reinvest,,, some people do not.  Some people believe in equality and fairness,,, some people believe in pure power.

Please dont shove a s*** sandwich into my hand and ask me to enjoy it too.

And paid them off...

Not everyone, not yet. And now you admit middle class received loans when before you were adamant none got any at all 

• Like 1

Did you take the $10k reduction? Then you are the problem.

Yup, I’m gladly taking $10k off my $170k so I can buy a house and start a family in 9 years instead of 10. 

we are waiting until the loans are paid off to have kids. Financially the smart decision. I am 26 now, in ten years I’ll be 36.

If taking the $10k means my wife and I can start a family at 35 instead of 36/37, you bet your ass I’m gonna take it. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

For someone who advocates for 'Medicare for all'  you sure do use a lot of the same arguments and reasoning against student loan forgiveness that people use against M4A. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Didba said:

Not everyone, not yet. And now you admit middle class received loans when before you were adamant none got any at all 

Never said that some didn’t receive them. Most of the money went to wealthier upper middle class kids tho.