Robby Ashford Highlights

StatTiger

The kid is so close to putting it all together. I think people forget he is essentially a freshman.

The only thing he has on Geriner from a freshman standpoint is that he has lived away from home a year longer.

He could develop into a very good QB.

Its sad that we are stuck having to play him before he is truly ready. The SEC is no place for QB OJT.

3 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

The kid is so close to putting it all together. I think people forget he is essentially a freshman.

1) What makes you think he is "so close" to putting it together? Most of those big plays were clear busted coverage by LSU. Good on Robby for making the throws, but the mistakes he made later were the same stuff he's shown far too often. He got bailed out by a pass-interference on that 4th down INT - it was a really bad throw that went right to the defense. He played a good game, but let's not jump the shark (I knew this would happen; he throws for 300 yards with a few massive broken plays and now people are convinced he's ready to win in the SEC lol).

2) He isn't "essentially a Freshman". He is the same class as TJ Finley (a Junior) and literally one class younger than Bo Nix (a Senior). This is his 3rd year of college football, and he has in fact been practicing the whole tine. The fact that he's still a "Redshirt Freshman" is nothing more than COVID eligibility shenanigans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 2

3 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Though it is way early into his career, I thought this was still interesting...

Impact Play Ratio:

Cam Newton (5.62) 97 of 545

Nick Marshall (6.00) 143 of 858

Robby Ashford (6.14) 22 of 135

Dameyune Craig (6.52) 181 of 1181

Bo Nix (7.90) 167 of 1320

No doubt he is not polished yet, but this is his first year playing at the collegiate level. He certainly needs the right system built around his strengths, and under the right offensive coach, could continue to improve. His current ratio of an impact play every 6.1 touches is impressive considering the circumstances he has been given.

Must get more accurate to be effective!!!

1 minute ago, metafour said:

1) What makes you think he is "so close" to putting it together? Most of those big plays were clear busted coverage by LSU. Good on Robby for making the throws, but the mistakes he made later were the same stuff he's shown far too often. He got bailed out by a pass-interference on that 4th down INT - it was a really bad throw that went right to the defense. He played a good game, but let's not jump the shark (I knew this would happen; he throws for 300 yards with a few massive broken plays and now people are convinced he's ready to win in the SEC lol).

2) He isn't "essentially a Freshman". He is the same class as TJ Finley (a Junior) and literally one class younger than Bo Nix (a Senior). This is his 3rd year of college football, and he has in fact been practicing the whole tine. The fact that he's still a "Redshirt Freshman" is nothing more than COVID eligibility shenanigans.

I think he's spent more time on baseball than football. So I am not sure just how much practice he has gotten.

If he doesn't fumble the ball at all, we most likely win. If he hits the slant, we most likely win. On many of the throws he missed, he was at least throwing to the right guy. 

So yeah, for a guy that hasn't seen the field in a while, he is getting closer. Each game he settles in a little more. But the SEC no place to be learning these things on the fly when every mistake is almost unrecoverable with this team.

But you are probably right. We should just put Geriner in there and let it ride. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCTAU said:

I think he's spent more time on baseball than football. So I am not sure just how much practice he has gotten.

If he doesn't fumble the ball at all, we most likely win. If he hits the slant, we most likely win. On many of the throws he missed, he was at least throwing to the right guy. 

So yeah, for a guy that hasn't seen the field in a while, he is getting closer. Each game he settles in a little more. But the SEC no place to be learning these things on the fly when every mistake is almost unrecoverable with this team.

But you are probably right. We should just put Geriner in there and let it ride. 

Agreed.  An objective look at his progress to date shows he IS getting there:  his quickness in taking off & running is evident, and this is the first game we really got to see him throw for an entire game.  It's inevitable he'll make more mistakes but the more he plays in the SEC can only speed up his progress.  There's nothing like a sink-or-swim situation being thrown in the deep end!    

• Like 1

He made some good decisions, some bad decisions… Funny thing is he looked a lot like Bo Nix in the past. He made some amazing plays and then would turn around and make some not so good ones

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Agreed.  An objective look at his progress to date shows he IS getting there:  his quickness in taking off & running is evident, and this is the first game we really got to see him throw for an entire game.  It's inevitable he'll make more mistakes but the more he plays in the SEC can only speed up his progress.  There's nothing like a sink-or-swim situation being thrown in the deep end!    

What tells you Geriner at this point would be better?

• Like 1

I did appreciate him slamming Brooks to the turf after the pick and Brooks teammates having to scrape dirt from his facemask. Robbie hustles and plays tough. Get the right coach and he can become a dynamic QB. 

Ashford reminds me of Charlie Ward at FSU. There were bumper stickers around Tallahassee that said “Honk if you’ve intercepted Charlie Ward”. He had more int’s than TD’s. Always throwing to the wrong guy, but was an amazing athlete. Once he figured it out, no one could stop him. Hope RA can develop like that. 

I was really surprised to read in Kirby’s comments that RA was not even practicing with the QB’s at Oregon. He said he was practicing with WR/Athletes. Everyone has been saying he is actually a Junior QB . No wonder we look like 2019 Kentucky .

Edited by Hank2020