why do you love Auburn/football?

aubiefifty

and why do you pull for them? my dad played on the frosh team in the early fifties and my grandfather taught horseback riding for the rotc. my grand parents lived on east glenn a block from the park and baseball fields. i never had a bad day at auburn as a kid. the same as an adult unless you call losing a game bad. i know some will roll their eyes at this but i would love to hear your stories.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

and why do you pull for them? my dad played on the frosh team in the early fifties and my grandfather taught horseback riding for the rotc. my grand parents lived on east glenn a block from the park and baseball fields. i never had a bad day at auburn as a kid. the same as an adult unless you call losing a game bad. i know some will roll their eyes at this but i would love to hear your stories.

That’s where I graduated from, so I love the school; auburn football is just an added bonus

• Like 3

Because she (Auburn) enlightened my spirit during a visit in 1989, then gave me a mission to continue on with in 1995 after a 4 year hitch in the Army.  I needed her, she welcomed me with open arms.....I appreciated it so much that I dedicated myself to her in 2006 and here I am nearly 17 years later. Auburn is very high on my list....she's not perfect but she's been steady. 

Football is a part of our Spirit and it pains me to see what is going on. I can only imagine what the 70's must have been like. 

• Like 5

I went to Auburn, my wife went to Auburn, my dad went to Auburn, my great uncle went to Auburn.  My wife's sister went to Auburn, her husband went to Auburn, and my two nieces are currently at Auburn.  My best friends went to Auburn, my cousins went to Auburn.

Football is just a bonus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I honestly don't know. I've been a lifelong Auburn fan without ever attending a class. When I was exploring post-secondary education, Auburn didn't offer a path for my career choice. So I'm a t-shirt fan, as alum label us, but WHY I'm guessing it's the pre-game traditions and color scheme lol Whatever it is, it's last over 40 years.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, smackydoodle said:

I honestly don't know. I've been a lifelong Auburn fan without ever attending a class. When I was exploring post-secondary education, Auburn didn't offer a path for my career choice. So I'm a t-shirt fan, as alum label us, but WHY I'm guessing it's the pre-game traditions and color scheme lol Whatever it is, it's last over 40 years.

I'm an Alum and I will never call you a T-Shirt fan. Your contribution to Auburn doesn't have to come with a degree. War Eagle! 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I love Auburn because...As a 20 something I went to Tuscaloosa with some friends to experience the college culture. Fun but really wasn't impressed with it. Went to Auburn with some friends and had a blast! Was about to transfer from a community college to AU but the degree I already had was sufficient for my turf career. I spent many weekends hanging out at apartments, trailer parks, pools and Lake Martin with friends that were students at AU.

I remember being proud to have a Supper Club card in my wallet. My favorite live band was the Velcro Pigmies. Favorite song was "Sweet Home Alabama" but some of y'all may know it's "F-U ALABAMA, WAR EAGLE!!!"

Tailgating was always awesome. Seeing the Oaks (before Updyke) completely rolled white as snow was really special...but the best part was sharing the love with all my Auburn homies, the ones I know personally and the ones I don't know. It's great to live out of state and see AU gear and greet people with "War Eagle!"

MY college age years solidified my love for Auburn. I can tolerate the lousy football seasons because life is more than college football...but just barely. 

War Eagle y'all!

• Like 4

It is all I have ever known. Grew up going to God’s country with my grandfather and father before I could walk. Five generations of my family have gone there including my kids now. It is my home away from home and one of the few places on this earth that makes me smile every time I drive into town (usually on Wire Road). 
I bleed orange and blue. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Not that it matters but I graduated there in December 1975.

My dad was an Auburn fan so I became an Auburn fan. Always have been always will be.

You almost never meet a bad Auburn fan and it doesn't matter if they attended school there or if they didn't.

Call me naive, but I just think that most people that support Auburn are genuinely decent human beings.

There really is just something about Auburn and Auburn people.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, smackydoodle said:

I’m also a 40 plus year “t-shirt” Auburn fan. I was born and raised an Auburn fan in Mississippi. 30 miles east of Starkville, 60 miles west of Tuscaloosa. Talk about rough!!! My daughter has been accepted to Auburn beginning spring of 23, not sure the out of state tuition cost is gonna allow her to attend though. 

• Like 1

For me it was a spring in Paris.  It was almost cliché-ish. The flowers were blooming.  The new tourists were arriving in groves.  The vibrancy was palpable.   I was alone — in a nondescript cafe named after Jim Morrison and his death, Café Imbecile. 

That’s when Auburn waltzed into my life.  She was beautiful.  No, she was radiant.  Her looks immaculate, her hair flawless. I spoke and she responded with a cunning sense of humor.  I was taken aback.  I asked where she reigned from and she replied — east Alabama.  Perplexed, I asked again — thinking she was mistaken.  Maybe she was momentarily lost — maybe she was from west Georgia. 

No, she wasn’t confused.  She knew where she was from.  She was Auburn.  She was Auburn University.  I told I was thinking about attending Clemson.  She laughed as she seductively took a drag from her imperfect cigarette.  

“They stole our identity.  They stole our colors.  They stole our traditions, but they never could steal our soul.”

She blew her smoke in my face.  In that moment I understood — Toomer’s Corner, Supper Club, Lawyer Tillman, Joe Cribbs, Bo Jackson, Darnell’s and the Strutting Duck.  

I couldn’t resist.  I fell in love.  I knew it could be a mistake.  I had Clemson.  I had UF where most of my known unknowns were going.  I had LSU, which still had 18 glistening as a law over there for alcohol.  But I left with her.  I took her hand and thought — my God.  For life.  

Was it a promise?  No, it was a realization.  I would stay with her for life.  And now here I am.  It doesn’t matter the lipstick she wears or the perfume she mists on her wrists.  

It is her soul I fell for.  Not any coach.  Not any professor.  Not any AD.  It is her.  And when I find myself, sauntering through a cafe and watching the screens of the newest AP top 20, I don’t wince or ponder the what ifs.  I remember that day in Paris and understand — she’s still the most beautiful accomplice that gave me a precious gift — my college degree. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It started for me as a kid in the 50’s.  My favorite uncle that I looked up to went to Auburn on the GI Bill from WWII.  My sister started as a freshman in 1957 and Auburn would win it’s first official National Championship that fall.  Later, I was a Boy Scout and they let us usher at the games so I got to go to a lot.  Jimmy Sidle and Tucker Fredrickson became my hero's.  My brother started in 1965 and graduated from vet school in 1971.  Several of my cousins were also in Auburn at the time.  We were an Auburn family. When the time came to make a school choice in 1972 it was easy for me, I never even thought about going anywhere else.  Auburn was home and every time I go back, even as an old man now, it still feels like home.  Its just a part of me and always has been.  

I grew up hearing stories about Auburn from my parents.  I remember dancing with shakers in front of the stereo with a 45 of the fight song on the record player when I was about 5 or 6.  As my name implies, my grandfather and my parents were alums.  My mother was Miss Auburn in ‘52, my dad was in Sigma Chi and was the sophomore class president.  I have many uncles and cousins that went to Auburn, as well as my younger sister. I met my husband there. My daughter and her now husband went there.
Even with all this history and connections with Auburn, it is more about the time I was there, the experiences I had, and the growing up that I did. It is just a special place to me.  

As far as football goes, my best memories are going with my parents when my daughter was young.  I cherish those memories more than any win or loss we’ve had.  ❤️

Edited by 3rdgeneration

I am a fan because of my grandfather who died when I was 10 years old.  His high school days were the Auburn glory days of the 1950s.  He took me to my first game in 1988 (Tennessee game) and I was hooked!  Had he lived his plan was to pay my way to Auburn, but that didn’t happen.  As far as college I ended up staying home and attending North Alabama.  Me staying home actually helped contribute to my parents’ marriage staying together so I will never regret that.  I have attended many games over the years and the love of Auburn football continues strong.  It’s my dream that my 2 children get to do what I was unable to do and attend Auburn.  

War Eagle Forever!

Why I love AU:   I was born when my dad was in school at AU.   It’s been a part of me forever.    Trips to AU in the 80s only fueled my love for AU.   Spending the late 90s at AU was some of the best times of my life.   There’s just no place like AU.   

Why I love football:   It is the best sport on the planet.   A great team sport!   A microcosm of life.   

Why I love AU football:   What can I say?   I’m a masochist!

I graduated twice from Auburn and one of our children did, too. Chose Auburn because of the major, friends going there and the atmosphere, not the sports programs. When Auburn does well in any of their athletic programs, it’s like adding a cherry on top!

Many close friends and younger sister attended Auburn. I started visiting Auburn in the mid nineties and loved it. Loved the town, the campus and game day tradition. Been going to both home and away games   since then and will hopefully continue to for a long time! War Eagle!

And Bama and it’s fanbase is just awful!