Ronnie Brown

TexasTiger

We love you Ronnie, but take the 19 million in guarantees and play ball.

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK

Bonus slows Brown deal

BY JASON COLE

jcole@herald.com

The Dolphins and the agent for running back Ronnie Brown, the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, remain about $3 million apart on the amount of guaranteed money they are willing to pay for his contract, according to two sources within the NFL Players Association.

Agent Todd France declined to discuss the talks and wouldn't comment on information that indicated the Dolphins are offering roughly $19 million in guarantees to Brown. Based on the $24 million in guarantees given to No. 1 overall pick Alex Smith by San Francisco, Brown is expecting about $22 million in guarantees.

Smith's deal represents a 20 percent increase in guaranteed money for the No. 1 overall pick from last year, when quarterback Eli Manning went No. 1 overall and signed with the New York Giants. Last year's No. 2 overall, offensive tackle Robert Gallery, received $18.3 million, making a 20 percent increase worth just less than $22 million for Brown.

Further supporting Brown's demand is the deal signed by former Auburn teammate Cadillac Williams with Tampa Bay at No. 5 overall. The deal includes $13.6 million in guaranteed money and another $1.5 million in virtual guarantee if Williams plays 35 percent or more as a rookie or 45 percent or more in any of the subsequent seasons.

In short, the $15.1 million total represents a 15 percent increase in guaranteed and/or easily attainable money for the No. 5 pick. The Dolphins are offering about a 5 percent increase, the NFLPA source said.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/12280859.htm

This really bites the big one. Why can't they just split the darned difference?

172317[/snapback]

I suspect that is what the agent is hoping for.

I have been looking forward to seeing Ronnie in that preseason game this Monday up in Canada all summer long. Now it appears that he may not even make the trip. I mean seriously guys what are the chances that he gets any reps if he signs tomorrow much less Friday.

It does bite the big one, but seriously, are you going to tell Ronnie Brown to just give up a couple of million bucks?

I'm not.

172326[/snapback]

I lost his cell phone number. B)

The average playing career an NFL running back is only 5 years. Now is the time for Ronnie to take care of himself. After he signs, he will become just another piece of meat to the NFL. Having another $1 mil in the bank represents a lifetime of earnings for many folks.

RB is one of my all time AU favorites, and I am for him all the way.

The average playing career an NFL running back is only 5 years. Now is the time for Ronnie to take care of himself.  After he signs, he will become just another piece of meat to the NFL.  Having another $1 mil in the bank represents a lifetime of earnings for many folks.

172340[/snapback]

I love RB, but anyone who can't take care of themselves with $19 million has issues. Carnell on the other hand told his agent to negotiate like crazy, but he wanted to be in camp the first day so get it done.

Perspective.

TT, your math is all wrong. First, his agent takes 10% (now we are down to approximately $17 mil, then Uncle Sam takes 50% (now we are down to $8.5 mil). This is Ronnie's one shot, perhaps, to set himself up for life. Why you say he has issues is beyond me. The NFL is a business, period. He needs to get all he can while he can.

Now, I will tell you that I would prefer to see him signed and in camp. But I sure as heck will not criticize a faithful and loyal AU guy for his contract negotiations. If he was pulling a TO and wanted to break his contract for a better contract, I would be the first to say screw him...but that ain't what he is doing. The fins are not treating him right.

Everyone has his opinion and this is mine. But I do think you are being unfair to say he has issues. But, whatever, we pull for the same team. WDE!!!

TT, your math is all wrong.  First, his agent takes 10% (now we are down to approximately $17 mil, then Uncle Sam takes 50% (now we are down to $8.5 mil).  This is Ronnie's one shot, perhaps, to set himself up for life.  Why you say he has issues is beyond me.  The NFL is a business, period.  He needs to get all he can while he can.

Now, I will tell you that I would prefer to see him signed and in camp.  But I sure as heck will not criticize a faithful and loyal AU guy for his contract negotiations.  If he was pulling a TO and wanted to break his contract for a better contract, I would be the first to say screw him...but that ain't what he is doing.  The fins are not treating him right.

Everyone has his opinion and this is mine.  But I do think you are being unfair to say he has issues. But, whatever, we pull for the same team.  WDE!!!

172343[/snapback]

Well said, Mike.

The average playing career an NFL running back is only 5 years. Now is the time for Ronnie to take care of himself.  After he signs, he will become just another piece of meat to the NFL.  Having another $1 mil in the bank represents a lifetime of earnings for many folks.

172340[/snapback]

I love RB, but anyone who can't take care of themselves with $19 million has issues. Carnell on the other hand told his agent to negotiate like crazy, but he wanted to be in camp the first day so get it done.

Perspective.

172341[/snapback]

Exactly. Even @ $8.5 mill he *should* be able to invest and support himself and his family pretty well, even if he never takes another snap. Not being in camp is really hurting him, after all Ricky is back...for now. Ronnie please sign the deal and have a long/great NFL career.

:au:

TT, your math is all wrong.  First, his agent takes 10% (now we are down to approximately $17 mil, then Uncle Sam takes 50% (now we are down to $8.5 mil).  This is Ronnie's one shot, perhaps, to set himself up for life.  Why you say he has issues is beyond me.  The NFL is a business, period.  He needs to get all he can while he can.

Now, I will tell you that I would prefer to see him signed and in camp.  But I sure as heck will not criticize a faithful and loyal AU guy for his contract negotiations.  If he was pulling a TO and wanted to break his contract for a better contract, I would be the first to say screw him...but that ain't what he is doing.  The fins are not treating him right.

Everyone has his opinion and this is mine.  But I do think you are being unfair to say he has issues. But, whatever, we pull for the same team.  WDE!!!

172343[/snapback]

50%? Your tax math is all wrong.

172340[/snapback]

Perspective.

172341[/snapback]

Exactly. Even @ $8.5 mill he *should* be able to invest and support himself and his family pretty well, even if he never takes another snap. Not being in camp is really hurting him, after all Ricky is back...for now. Ronnie please sign the deal and have a long/great NFL career.

172352[/snapback]

Ricky's back after 4 season games. All 195lbs of him.

Hey guys, it is RB's money.

Besides, 5 minutes after he signs, no one will even remember any of it.

DKW this is true. But I don't care what anyone says, it makes people take a second look and say, "hmm, you look like a prick."

GREED!!!!!!

IT IS ALL ABOUT GREED.

Get in camp...RB has done nothing to earn 19 MILLION dollars...19 MILLION. He has not played one snap in the NFL. The money these kids get is freaking sick!

I love RB but this is ridiculous...19 MILLION DOLLARS...I will never see that kind of money...ever!!!!!

When he signs, and I hope it is very soon, we will all forget this happened. It does not look good right now tho.

172340[/snapback]

Perspective.

172341[/snapback]

172352[/snapback]

Ricky's back after 4 season games. All 195lbs of him.

172354[/snapback]

Ricky is back up to ~220 lbs. He last played @ 236 lbs.

172343[/snapback]

50%? Your tax math is all wrong.

172353[/snapback]

Yep, the top federal bracket is 36% now and Florida doesn't have a state income tax. You telling me that $11M in guaranteed money (that's if Ronnie doesn't play a down) isn't enough to set himself up for life? C'mon man.

I don't hate Ronnie and I want him to be rewarded, but dickering over $19M vs $22M seems a tad overblown when he's missing valuable time in camp.

172343[/snapback]

Even with your HIGH tax that still leaves 8.5 million.

Lets say we take 2.5 million and buy houses, cars, toys...whatever. :D:big:

When you put 6 mil in a low percentage (2.5%) savings account that is

$150,000.00 a year in interest to live on.

Man I know I would have trouble living on 150K a year. :P

:poke:

RB...Get all you can!

:thumbsup:

Look, I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but, fundamentally, what I am saying is that folks should let Ronnie worry about Ronnie, not us worrying about Ronnie.

Just a few months ago, we were all touting his virtues and how proud we were of him. But now that he has "crossed over to the dark side" (and became a professional NFL guy, who will get big bucks), many of us seem to now dislike him...lumping him already into the pot of spoiled, mega-rich professional ballplayers.

And, who knows, he may have already become Darth Brown...but I don't really care.

Moreover, this bickering among us about one of our own is just plain silly. Save the torpedoes for the turds down the road!

Look, I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but, fundamentally, what I am saying is that folks should let Ronnie worry about Ronnie, not us worrying about Ronnie.

Just a few months ago, we were all touting his virtues and how proud we were of him.  But now that he has "crossed over to the dark side" (and became a professional NFL guy, who will get big bucks), many of us seem to now dislike him...lumping him already into the pot of spoiled, mega-rich professional ballplayers.

And, who knows, he may have already become Darth Brown...but I don't really care.

Moreover, this bickering among us about one of our own is just plain silly.  Save the torpedoes for the turds down the road!

172465[/snapback]

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, BUT, Ronnie signed a contract with an AGENT. It is the JOB of the AGENT to get Ronnie as much $$$$ as possible. Morover, the AGENT is the person doing the barganing and he gets PAID based on just how much he is able to get for Ronnie. We may be calling the wrong pot/kettle black. :blink:

Archived