Signs point to Lane passing

bigbird

On 11/3/2022 at 5:07 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm not keeping up with any of this too closely but my money is on us failing spectacularly and ending up with Clay Helton or similar.

I agree, they will sign another Great Value brand coach.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/3/2022 at 11:12 PM, TeamZero77 said:

That's what I posted a week ago and I think it will happen. He is already at Georgia Southern so he is close by. He will be cheap so Cohen will like that since we're still paying Gus and Harsin. I've read alot of Miss. State fans on their message boards and alot of them say that Cohen is tight with money. That matches up perfect to hire Helton. He also played at Auburn. He was at USC for 12 years total when you count assistant and as head coach. He survived the hot seat every year it seemed and also guided them through probation so he knows how to coach when the school is on the bottom looking up. He won a PAC12 title and a Rose Bowl too. 

And for the record, there is NO WAY IN HELL that I would hire Helton but when you know our past of how we hire football coaches, then it's a very big possibility. Plus, just like the Chizik, Harsin and Cohen hires, nobody has Clay Helton on their list. 

This whole situation screams that it will be a Clay Helton type hire. Puke

If Cohen was tight with money at State it was because he had to be.  He doesn’t have those restraints at Auburn. 

The MSU fans I have seen saying that point back to Leach and that they felt Cohen could have swung big for a “big name”.  Problem is, you are still Mississippi State and Leach is probably about as big as you are going to get.  

Mullen was incredibly successful there but they forgot very quickly he was a coordinator when he was hired, and when he became a “big name” he left and went to a bigger program, like most coaches will do at a school like State, Ole Miss, etc. 

If you listened to Cohen’s press conference, he said it himself why he left to come to Auburn and it has everything to do with what Auburn offers.  

He also built them a $68M new baseball facility amongst other facility upgrades so doesn’t strike me as “thrifty”.  

I don’t think anything points to Auburn going the cheap route this time. 

Edited by AEAugirl

On 11/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, Old fan 47 said:

Agree. Mullen is not HC material in the SEC. He was decent at MSU, but the minute he took the higher profile job at his former stop, he was a complete disaster.  Hard to blame Kiffin when he’s already making 7 plus million and with 10 wins this year will basically be on the level of Jon Vaught, whom they named the damn stadium after. He is much safer where he is. And while we are on the subject, Deion is a pipe dream. He’s too smart to take this train wreck of a job. He will spend a couple of more years at Jackson and then cash in to a program worthy of his time. I don’t see Auburn making any kind of a splashy hire that is going to really worry or scare the 13 SEC programs over us right now. It is what it is. Jump on my comments, but until I see a decent hire, it will be hard to argue the point. 

Pat Dye wasn’t a splash hire either. That’s why I like the Coastal Carolina coach. He has a much better record that Dye before he took the Auburn job.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Pat Dye wasn’t a splash hire either. That’s why I like the Coastal Carolina coach. He has a much better record that Dye before he took the Auburn job.

The issue with the costal Carolina’s coach is that he runs an offense that is suited for the group of 5 level, but not for the SEC. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

There’s a guy, apparently an offensive innovator, who has a Group of 5 team ranked #17 in the nation. Actually played for a natty in only his second year as a HC. 

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

There’s a guy, apparently an offensive innovator, who has a Group of 5 team ranked #17 in the nation. Actually played for a natty in only his second year as a HC. 

Wouldn't have to give him a facility tour,  either

21 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

Lakes of Bella Vista Arkansas