SEC Structure

RunInRed

How do they determine who plays who? I'm afraid this just turn into them continuing to force us to play UGA and Bama every year. And will we be the ONLY ones that have to keep doing that?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I'm afraid this just turn into them continuing to force us to play UGA and Bama every year. And will we be the ONLY ones that have to keep doing that?

Um .... Tennessee plays UGA and Bama every year.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, AURex said:

Um .... Tennessee plays UGA and Bama every year.

Thats a good point. I needed to flesh out that point better.

I just want a system that makes the schedules even. They currently are not. Tennessee might play them both but they also get to play Vandy and a softer east schedule to offset.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Didn't we know this was coming?

I thought the idea was we were moving to the pod system. that says single division and NO pod system.

49 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

How do they determine who plays who?

@KansasTigerlikely a 3 6 6 model where ever team has 3 permanents every year and rotating the other 12 teams every other year 6 at a time.

54 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I'm afraid this just turn into them continuing to force us to play UGA and Bama every year

All of the soon to be big 9 in the conference will have to play 2 of their 3 top Rivals every year so it wouldn't be about them forcing us to do anything.

3 minutes ago, AUFiend said:

I thought the idea was we were moving to the pod system. that says single division and NO pod system.

I haven't heard about pods in a while.

I may be in a minority here and I know it will never happen, but the SEC should just ditch the conference championship game.  When it was implemented, there was no playoff, there wasn't even the BCS.  It doesn't really make sense in a modern playoff world.

Edited by miscram6
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

How do they determine who plays who? I'm afraid this just turn into them continuing to force us to play UGA and Bama every year. And will we be the ONLY ones that have to keep doing that?

Well I certainly hope we play Alabama every year as the final game of the year. Some traditions should be untouchable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, miscram6 said:

I may be in a minority here and I know it will never happen, but the SEC should just ditch the conference championship game.  When it was implemented, there was no playoff, there wasn't even the BCS.  It doesn't really make sense in a modern playoff world.

They should just make it so that the conference championship means more to getting into the playoffs (which I think is coming in the form of an auto bid). I actually heard on ESPN last Tuesday, where Kirk and Joey Galloway said that LSU could win out and win the SEC championship and miss out on the playoff to Tennessee and Georgia. That's ridiculous and makes the championship meaningless, especially when the team that benefits the most is the 1-loss Tennessee that doesn't have to play in it. (So in that way, I guess I'm agreeing with you). I just think instead of abolishing it, we make it matter.

The fact we have a conference championship that doesn't help the winner and actively punishes the loser is broken. Make it an auto bid.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Well I certainly hope we play Alabama every year as the final game of the year. Some traditions should be untouchable.

I wasn't necessarily advocating for us not to play Bama. I was advocating for us not to have the single hardest schedule in the SEC every year. I probably just worded it badly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

They should just make it so that the conference championship means more to getting into the playoffs (which I think is coming in the form of an auto bid). I actually heard on ESPN last Tuesday, where Kirk and Joey Galloway said that LSU could win out and win the SEC championship and miss out on the playoff to Tennessee and Georgia. That's ridiculous and makes the championship meaningless, especially when the team that benefits the most is the 1-loss Tennessee that doesn't have to play in it. (So in that way, I guess I'm agreeing with you). I just think instead of abolishing it, we make it matter.

The fact we have a conference championship that doesn't help the winner and actively punishes the loser is broken. Make it an auto bid.

1system puts more emphasis season games rather than conf. championship games. Just depends on where we want the weight to be as far as getting into CFB. Thats why we have the group that discusses those things. Each individual team is different case.

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

1system puts more emphasis season games rather than conf. championship games. Just depends on where we want the weight to be as far as getting into CFB. Thats why we have the group that discusses those things. Each individual team is different case.

I'd like to take the human selection committee out of it as much as possible. So if that means send the regular season SEC champ and abolish the championship, I'm for it, I just want more auto bids and less subjectiveness. As long as we have a human selection committee and things like the 'eye test', Teams like Bama/OSU/UGA will have to have 3 losses to get eliminated from playoff contention every year, when the rest of us get eliminated off 1 or 2 losses.

33 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Thats a good point. I needed to flesh out that point better.

I just want a system that makes the schedules even. They currently are not. Tennessee might play them both but they also get to play Vandy and a softer east schedule to offset.

Schedules will never be even and that shouldn’t be the intention. UGA obviously wasn’t always like this. Bama wasn’t either. They won’t stay this way forever.

When Florida is up, LSU has the toughest schedule. When UT and LSU/Auburn are both up, Bama does. When us and UT are both up, UGA does.

Permanent scheduling decisions don’t need to be made based on current day success. And I don’t want to run from our rivals. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

@miscram6It makes sense to a lot of coaches & players in the SEC who sees winning the conferebce title in the best conference in college football as big or near as big as winning a natty.

1 minute ago, KansasTiger said:

I'd like to take the human selection committee out of it as much as possible. So if that means send the regular season SEC champ and abolish the championship, I'm for it, I just want more auto bids and less subjectiveness. As long as we have a human selection committee and things like the 'eye test', Teams like Bama/OSU/UGA will have to have 3 losses to get eliminated from playoff contention every year, when the rest of us get eliminated off 1 or 2 losses.

I understand your point. But automatic qualifiers would guarantee that subjectiveness would be imbedded. None of the conference champions guarantee the best team from that conference. Take the Big 10 this year. Very strong side and extremely average other side. You could very easily have a 4 or 5 loss team that is the guaranteed qualifier leaving a 1 loss team not making it. That is very subjective IMO

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I understand your point. But automatic qualifiers would guarantee that subjectiveness would be imbedded. None of the conference champions guarantee the best team from that conference. Take the Big 10 this year. Very strong side and extremely average other side. You could very easily have a 4 or 5 loss team that is the guaranteed qualifier leaving a 1 loss team not making it. That is very subjective IMO

No autobids do the opposite. They let on field results determine who plays, and then on field results determine who gets the playoff bid. If a team didn't win enough to get there or to win it, they weren't the best team, and to say otherwise is subjective. 

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KansasTiger said:

No autobids do the opposite. They let on field results determine who plays, and then on field results determine who gets the playoff bid. If a team didn't win enough to get there or to win it, they weren't the best team, and to say otherwise is subjectiveness. 

Your on the field results is only the results of the conf. Championship, not necessarily the regular season (see my big 10 example). Another example would be ACC championship this year. If Duke had beat UNC this year, you could have a 3-4 loss winner in the ACC championship game. Existing system would likely not put those teams that have lost 3-5 games into the playoff even though they won their conf. Championship. Less subjectivity by playoff group to me.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Your on the field results is only the results of the conf. Championship, not necessarily the regular season (see my big 10 example). Another example would be ACC championship this year. If Duke had beat UNC this year, you could have a 3-4 loss winner in the ACC championship game. Existing system would likely not put those teams that have lost 3-5 games into the playoff even though they won their conf. Championship. Less subjectivity by playoff group to me.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't know if you're using the words in the right way. Your argument is about fairness, not subjectivity. I don't care what your argument is, overriding on field results to put a team that lost into a playoff over a team that beat them is by definition subjective. Now it might not always be FAIR, and that might be a different argument.

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Top two play in the championship game?

Or maybe a four team playoff?

I couldn't see a 4 team playoff, we beat each other up enough already.   I wonder how many SEC games we'll be playing during the year?

30 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't know if you're using the words in the right way. Your argument is about fairness, not subjectivity. I don't care what your argument is, overriding on field results to put a team that lost into a playoff over a team that beat them is by definition subjective. Now it might not always be FAIR, and that might be a different argument.

I probably am not using them in the correct way. Automatic qualifiers (winners of conf. Championship games) doesn’t always put best team forward. I agree with your statement “ put a team that lost into a playoff over a team that beat them”  doesn’t seem fair. But what if the team that won has 4 losses and the team that lost has only 1 loss. As might be the case in Big 10 this year. If you are going to choose better team (basis on the field results) 1loss team should go. Committee can work that out when they meet. Automatic qualifier system cannot.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Didn't we know this was coming?

This. Tell us something we didn’t know already, Greg—like, IDK, the permanent opponents.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Schedules will never be even and that shouldn’t be the intention. UGA obviously wasn’t always like this. Bama wasn’t either. They won’t stay this way forever.

When Florida is up, LSU has the toughest schedule. When UT and LSU/Auburn are both up, Bama does. When us and UT are both up, UGA does.

Permanent scheduling decisions don’t need to be made based on current day success. And I don’t want to run from our rivals. 

You have a point in that it’s not going to be squarely equal but Florida/LSU like some in our fanbase want would make ours head and shoulders above the rest. If you ever think Florida/LSU and, say, Mississippi State (who UAT fans want) are ever going to reach parity I have a bridge to sell you. 

What I have so far, history and travel must be considered but so must not blatantly trying to kill certain teams:

Alabama—Auburn, Tennessee

Arkansas—Texas

Auburn—Alabama, Georgia

Florida—Georgia, Kentucky

Georgia—Auburn, Florida, South Carolina

Kentucky—Florida

Louisiana State—Mississippi

Mississippi—Louisiana State, Mississippi State

Mississippi State—Mississippi

Missouri—South Carolina

Oklahoma—Texas

South Carolina—Georgia, Missouri

Tennessee—Alabama, Vanderbilt

Texas—Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M

Texas A&M—Texas

Vanderbilt—Tennessee

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, miscram6 said:

That's what I assumed they were doing if they go to a single division.  Why give one of your best teams an extra loss that could put them out of the 12 team playoff?

• Like 1