Key Evangelical Figures Turn On Trump: 'He Used Us'

aubiefifty

Key Evangelical Figures Turn On Trump: 'He Used Us'

Ed Mazza
2–3 minutes

Evangelical figures who previously supported Donald Trump are backing off now that he’s announced his third bid for the presidency.

“Donald Trump can’t save America,” Mike Evans told The Washington Post. “He can’t even save himself.”

Evans was part of a group of evangelicals who met with Trump at the White House, and at one point gave him an award.

Now, he says he’s done with Trump.

“He used us to win the White House. We had to close our mouths and eyes when he said things that horrified us,” Evans told the newspaper. “I cannot do that anymore.”

Robert Jeffress, one of Trump’s evangelical advisers during the 2016 campaign and a longtime supporter, said he’s not ready to endorse him again.

“The Republican Party is headed toward a civil war that I have no desire or need to be part of,” Jeffress told Newsweek, adding that he would “happily” support Trump again if he wins the nomination.

That’s not a given, considering Trump’s plunging poll numbers among Republican voters. Jeffress also seemed to subtweet Trump on the day of his 2024 announcement by urging people to buy Mike Pence’s book:

Jeffress added on Twitter that he still considers Trump “a great friend and our greatest president since Reagan.”

Another onetime faith adviser to Trump, James Robison of Life Outreach International, said in a speech this week that Trump’s ego is getting in the way of the agenda.

“If Mr. Trump can’t stop his little petty issues, how does he expect people to stop major issues?” Robison said, according to The Washington Post.

He said he told Trump: “Sir, you act like a little elementary schoolchild and you shoot yourself in the foot every morning you get up and open your mouth! The more you keep your mouth closed, the more successful you’re gonna be!”

Robison did not say if he was planning to support Trump in 2024.

Another evangelical figure who previously endorsed Trump was even more blunt, with Washington Times columnist Everett Piper writing that Trump cost the GOP big in the midterms and could hurt them even more in two years.

“The take-home of this past week is simple: Donald Trump has to go,” Piper wrote. “If he‘s our nominee in 2024, we will get destroyed.”

• Like 2

These "Christians" are nothing more than political mercenaries for hire. 

They were more than happy to support Trump when he was winning and was leading the country...It's only when he starts losing power and influence that they find their conscious and decide they can't abide Trump anymore. As Homer said, if Trump wins the nomination again these Church leaders will be the first people in line to lick his boots, publicly pray with him, and encourage their congregations and followers to vote and support him. 

American Evangelicals as a political force have no credibility left. They've shown they are willing to ignore every scripture, every church teaching, and everything they say they believe in to justify their support for Godless authoritarians who promise to give them more earthly power and prestige. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

@Son of A Tiger  So what are your thoughts on why Evangelicals only started becoming concerned about Trumps conduct when he starts losing, and not when he was powerful and influential? 

I was just reacting to your implying ALL Evangelists and judging Christians for their political leanings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sounds like they have simply had a change of heart. True with a lot of people. 

Change of heart? Nah, Trump has been extremely consistent of who he is from before, during and after his presidency.

• Like 3

Practicing the religion of "Christianity" and, following Jesus have become two vastly different concepts.

"Christianity" has an agenda.  Jesus has only the basic principles of lover, mercy, kindness, charity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of A Tiger said:

I was just reacting to your implying ALL Evangelists and judging Christians for their political leanings.

Well, that's what happens when you have such a large segment of the Christian church actively - and cynically - supporting someone like Trump.  

President Donald Trump, dressed in a dark blue suit with a light blue tie and white dress shirt, holds a copy of the Bible in front of Ashburton House, a former private residence which now serves as the priory house of St. John's Episcopal Church just north of Lafayette Square. St. John's is popularly known as the "Church of the Presidents" because every president since James Madison has attended services there at least once, typically on the day of their inauguration.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Some folks need to read Matthew 7:1-5

You're right. The people that are trying to limit women and LGBTQ+ rights need to read this message.

• Love 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

No individual has been criticized.  This passage isn't relevant.

If the faith, the church cannot be criticized,,, it has become a cult.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arein0 said:

Change of heart? Nah, Trump has been extremely consistent of who he is from before, during and after his presidency.

Thus a change of heart by a lot of people. Never been sold on “evangelical leaders” regardless. 

14 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thus a change of heart by a lot of people. Never been sold on “evangelical leaders” regardless. 

Yeah, once he started losing, their "perception" changed. ;)

22 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say losing but you obviously know better than I do. 

We'll, what's your theory of why they are seemingly starting to abandon him now?

On 11/18/2022 at 7:59 PM, SaltyTiger said:

But why now?

Trump hasn't changed on iota.

Edited by homersapien

When I was a child, I thought, spoke, and acted like a child.  When I became a man, I threw Evangelical theology into the dung pit where it belongs.

A theology that has more in common with Zeus or Moloch is a very dangerous thing, indeed.

• Love 1