What if it's Cadillac

TeamZero77

I'm just throwing this out there to see how fans would feel about this scenario. 

Let's say that Auburn loses the Iron Bowl 42-14 or 35-14 and then on sunday or monday, Auburn breaks the news that they are making Cadillac the permanent HC. 

How would y'all view this? Would it be viewed as Auburn struck out on our main targets? If they were going to name Cadillac permanent HC, why wait until after the Iron Bowl? 

I've said all along that I don't think Auburn will give him the permanent position due to inexperience but if it happened, especially after a loss to Alabama, I think it would be because we struck out on our main targets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1
  • Dislike 2

This is just a guess...

If it ends up being LAC, it will be down the road a bit and not this weekend.

If we don’t land LK by Sunday, we will look at more candidates if we strike out there, LAC could get the job.

7 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I'm just throwing this out there to see how fans would feel about this scenario. 

Let's say that Auburn loses the Iron Bowl 42-14 or 35-14 and then on sunday or monday, Auburn breaks the news that they are making Cadillac the permanent HC. 

How would y'all view this? Would it be viewed as Auburn struck out on our main targets? If they were going to name Cadillac permanent HC, why wait until after the Iron Bowl? 

I've said all along that I don't think Auburn will give him the permanent position due to inexperience but if it happened, especially after a loss to Alabama, I think it would be because we struck out on our main targets. 

That would be bad, TeamZero77. 

• Like 4

That would be a complete and total failure. Nothing against Cadillac. He’s just not ready for that at this time. 

• Like 1

If tomorrow does something unexpected, “magical”, team goes crazy, ect. Hang on because it’ll be hard to… manage.

But if they get thumped as expected, it’ll bury most of the sentiment. 

But if Caddy goes in there and beats bamuh, I think he has a very strong shot. He may not be ready, but neither was Dabo (admittedly a weaker league). Swinney was 39 when promoted, and had only been recruiting coordinator and WR coach. Shug was 41 when hired, with only a few years as an assistant behind him. His staff was made up almost entirely of ex-AU and UGA players, which sounds a bit like the current staff with AU and other SEC alums. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

JABA.  Unfortunately, we cannot help pulling for people who played for, attended, or previously worked for Auburn University.  It is almost incestuous.  (I would argue that UAT has/had the same problem but managed to escape it temporarily at least with Saban).

I love and respect Caddy, and hope he continues to coach for AU or better yet has an opportunity as a head coach for a smaller U.  If he proves himself elsewhere as a head coach (i.e., program building - recruiting, hiring good position coaches, capitalizing on the portal, etc.) then I'd love to see him have the head coaching job at AU.

If we don't hire someone with experience in program building at this juncture, then prepare for AU to be the post-Fulmer UTenn for the next 15 years.  Might as well make Jordan-Hare an outdoor concert venue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If Caddy is hired, I think it would be definitely because we missed out on everybody else.

No way John Cohen quit a good job at Miss St to come here and hire a coach as inexperienced as Caddy.

But if we lose out on everybody else...

I can't imagine Caddy being hired ahead of Deion.

25 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

If tomorrow does something unexpected, “magical”, team goes crazy, ect. Hang on because it’ll be hard to… manage.

But if they get thumped as expected, it’ll bury most of the sentiment. 

I agree. There is a HUGE portion of our fanbase screaming to make Caddy the permanent HC now. I've never wanted that. Those fans are all acting on emotions. And emotions have gotten in the way of common sense ALOT in the past. 

It reminds me of the LSU and Ed Orgeron thing. He became interim and the media ran with it about how he was a Cajun and loved LSU and they thought his accent was funny. Well, the LSU fans latched on to that and Joe Aleva named him permanent HC. He was worse at Ole Miss than Chizik was at Iowa State but the fans were simply going off of emotions.

Other than the 2019 Natty, the rest was pretty damn bad for him. 

Same thing with Dabo. They named him interim and the fans latched on to it and they rolled the dice. It worked out great but the odds say it usually turns out bad.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Please stop. I love Caddy. He’s not ready. He’s just not.

It's a message board. I don't think Cohen will hire based on this thread. I've said all along Caddy isn't ready. A ton of our fanbase wants him as HC permanently and I've said all along those fans are simply going off emotions. Harsin beat us down for so long that a close loss at Starkville and a 3 point win against the worst team in the SEC has blinded the fans into thinking Caddy is the answer. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

But if Caddy goes in there and beats bamuh, I think he has a very strong shot. He may not be ready, but neither was Dabo (admittedly a weaker league). Swinney was 39 when promoted, and had only been recruiting coordinator and WR coach. Shug was 41 when hired, with only a few years as an assistant behind him. His staff was made up almost entirely of ex-AU and UGA players, which sounds a bit like the current staff with AU and other SEC alums. 

I think Dabo had 12 years coaching experience as an asst. Caddy has 3 yrs at the college level. 

Per Phillip Dukes, apparently Carlos Rogers was one of the first people Cadillac called when he was named interim. Based on what Carlos said it doesn't seem like Cadillac thinks he's ready himself for the job

If that happens I would get behind him 💯, but as Many stated above it would be because AU missed on the bigger names. This hire is the most important hire in the history of AU sports. 

• Like 2

Stop comparing Dabo and Caddy. Dabo had 15 years of college experience. Caddy has 3 and all of that is at AU. I think (and hope) he will one day be a great head coach. However, he needs some experience. I hope he becomes the best head coach AU ever has but I do not think the time is now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

The Auburn HC job is not what a lot folks think its value is if Caddy ends up being the HC.

Worst case scenario for Caddy’s career  and for Auburn if he ends up being the HC. 

I agree, if we do somehow manage to fire not 1 but 2 coaches with millions left owed only to hire (don't hate me) a former player/RB coach with 3 yrs of college level experience ONLY then we are in a bad spot and will almost certainly be down for a while... Caddy has been a great IHC but it's easy to live on emotion for a little while but you cannot maintain that permanently. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Taker said:

I agree, if we do somehow manage to fire not 1 but 2 coaches with millions left owed only to hire (don't hate me) a former player/RB coach with 3 yrs of college level experience ONLY then we are in a bad spot and will almost certainly be down for a while... Caddy has been a great IHC but it's easy to live on emotion for a little while but you cannot maintain that permanently. 

Best thing for HIMSELF is to use this opportunity as IHC and pivot into a OC or HC at a different program. It also might be the best thing for cohesion in Auburn’s football program. 

If he succeeds at another program he can always come back loved just as much or more

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Best thing for HIMSELF is to use this opportunity as IHC and pivot into a OC or HC at a different program. It also might be the best thing for cohesion in Auburn’s football program. 

If he succeeds at another program he can always come back loved just as much or more

Agreed, I understand if this was an NFL franchise and we needed to save money or if we were under sanctions from NCAA going the Carnell route for a few years, however Auburn is currently trying to negate the stigma of a misaligned program and from the way that the reports are currently falling with the news reports this week (all the posturing and speculation on LK) then it is appearing that we could be set up for being disappointed yet again. 

In my opinion if we end up with HF after it's all said and done we will have whiffed on this one as well. But I honestly don't know who would be a splash HR outside of hiring Dabo, Day, or someone like that. 

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm sitting over here trying not to judge the intelligence of the people pushing Carnell for HC....

Good Luck! 

• Haha 1

Caddy is pure AU class! Everyone loves Caddy!   
That’s why we absolutely cannot hire him as HC!   He has 3 years as a position coach.  We would be setting him up for an epic failure if we thrust him into the HC position now.   A few years as AHC, then a few years at a smaller school, then he might be ready.   But, please don’t do that to Caddy right now!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Taker said:

Agreed, I understand if this was an NFL franchise and we needed to save money or if we were under sanctions from NCAA going the Carnell route for a few years, however Auburn is currently trying to negate the stigma of a misaligned program and from the way that the reports are currently falling with the news reports this week (all the posturing and speculation on LK) then it is appearing that we could be set up for being disappointed yet again. 

In my opinion if we end up with HF after it's all said and done we will have whiffed on this one as well. But I honestly don't know who would be a splash HR outside of hiring Dabo, Day, or someone like that. 

Yup! Auburn is teetering on becoming a SEC bottom feeder if we don’t get a solid staff on board in the next week. Not to be dramatic but things could go from really bad to horrible if we don’t get a quality coaching staff hired soon. Caddy is clearly not ready to compete with our current rivals and oh and btw the addition of Texas and Oklahoma will be here to compete with as well