Damm, It's Winter

AURex

Okay, I was born and raised in warmer areas of the country. Over the years after leaving Auburn, I've suffered the absolutely brutal winters of Illinois, the nearly as bad winters of northern Kentucky, the kind-yet-real-winters of New York and Colorado.

Well, yes, I'm back in the South, but it's still cold. And it has been snowing here for 8 hours.

For 3 nights -- Christmas Eve, Christmas night, and tonight -- I've had a roaring fire in the fireplace. Wifey is freaking about the koi pond being frozen over. But ya know, after the winter hell of Illinois and heavy snows of NY, having a touch of real winter is AOK with me.

That said, I'm not getting out on the roads, because 99% of the people here are clueless about driving on winter roads.

Stay Safe, Stay Warm my friends!

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

Not sure where you are, but I’m in North AL and this snow today caught everyone off guard.  

We were supposed to get a “dusting” and this clipper storm overperformed and its turned into full fledged Armageddon here.  People stranded on the roads, hiking down from Monte Sano and Chapman Mtn, wrecks everywhere and cars in ditches.  Roads are completely iced over.

I am done with this winter weather!!! 

I went to high school in Huntsville, then to Auburn for BA and stuck around working for the university for a few more years, but then all over our wonderful country for 25 years before landing back in Huntsville for a few. Now in Knoxville, but my brother still lives in Huntsville and I still do contract work for a Huntsville org, so I get there periodically.

The advantage of Knoxville over Huntsville metro (an intentional choice) -- no tornadoes or severe storms. Oh, and more cultural stuff going on.

I like having actual seasons, which Auburn doesn't. I definitely do not miss the winters of the Midwest or the heat/humidity of Houston summers. I actually like the light snowfalls and chilly weather around the holidays because I enjoy lighting a fire in the fireplace, cooking up a pot of veggie beef soup and cornbread, spinning some music on the turntable, and having Christmas decorations in a winter setting.

As a kid, it was weird celebrating Christmas in Hawaii (I was an Army brat). I have clear memories of Christmas Day at Waikiki Beach. Um ... no snowmen to be found and Santa in a tropical shirt. hahaha