If you claim to be the party of science

TexasTiger

On 3/30/2023 at 2:13 PM, homersapien said:

But in the universe (nature), most things exist on a continuum.  Things or conditions that fall outside of the majority still exist and are no less "natural" than things that represent the majority. IMO, there's overwhelming scientific and historical evidence for homosexuality as being a natural condition. It may be too early to be as certain about gender dysphoria.  But  I am inclined to believe that - like homosexuality - it is. 

I believe there is a distinct difference between homosexuality and transgenderism that you may be overlooking.   First, I truly don’t have any ill will towards either group of people.  Who you are “attracted to” - homosexuality- is merely a preference.  I don’t feel this is a conscious decision any more than a heterosexual person could “choose” to become gay.  

However, gender dysphoria is completely different.  It is a disconnect with reality.  It isn’t any different than people who suffer from the mental illness of body dysphoria and want to have perfectly good limbs removed, be paralyzed, be made blind, etc.  This is a mental illness, where the mind is struggling to accept fact.  Maybe science will come to the conclusion that physically altering the body to match the illness is the best form of treatment, but maybe not.  Perhaps, like when dealing with other mental illness, finding ways to help the mind accept and cope with reality is the best bet?   

I’m sure many people will take this as “hating” trans people, and that’s not the case at all, but there are lots of people that are mentally I’ll, that don’t feel they are sick, don’t want treatment, etc, but thankfully we do what they need, and not what they want.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoAU said:

I believe there is a distinct difference between homosexuality and transgenderism that you may be overlooking.   First, I truly don’t have any ill will towards either group of people.  Who you are “attracted to” - homosexuality- is merely a preference.  I don’t feel this is a conscious decision any more than a heterosexual person could “choose” to become gay.  

However, gender dysphoria is completely different.  It is a disconnect with reality.  It isn’t any different than people who suffer from the mental illness of body dysphoria and want to have perfectly good limbs removed, be paralyzed, be made blind, etc.  This is a mental illness, where the mind is struggling to accept fact.  Maybe science will come to the conclusion that physically altering the body to match the illness is the best form of treatment, but maybe not.  Perhaps, like when dealing with other mental illness, finding ways to help the mind accept and cope with reality is the best bet?   

I’m sure many people will take this as “hating” trans people, and that’s not the case at all, but there are lots of people that are mentally I’ll, that don’t feel they are sick, don’t want treatment, etc, but thankfully we do what they need, and not what they want.  

I’m not going to decide what’s a mental illness and what isn’t. Not my field and in some ways not sure it matters. And candidly I’m just not as passionate as some are about this subject. To each their own. However, I will say someone can explore being bi or gay. They can’t “explore” a transgender transition procedure.   And anyone who has had teenagers knows that some get confused, depressed, and make bad decision of many kinds.. Impulsive and they  just frantically want to feel better and figure out how they fit in. That’s not the time to make a decision like that. My biggest concern is finalizing thoughtful guidelines and age parameters that allow someone to make a mature decision.

• Like 1