Vote now for the best team of all time

aubiefifty

guys the empty spaces are where you are supposed to vote. i copied and pasted fromal.com and i do not see a link to click on. but folks are supposed to be able to vote on it. help this ol geezer out as i am sure it will be fun for a lot of you. i am still going to see what i can about getting it straight but i am not hopeful.

ok click on the link and it will allow you to vote and your vote to really count. sorry for the troubles................

that was fun. there were a couple of rough choices............

come on guys lets get out the vote!

Mission impossible.

1913: 8-0-0. Scored 224 gave up 13

1914: 8-0-1 Scored 193, gave up 0

1957: 10-0-0 Scored 207, gave up 28

2004 13-0 Scored 417, gave up 147

A case could be made for or against any of these.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Of course I never saw some of the greats as they were before my time, but to me this is not a difficult choice whatsoever.

It's 2004 and it's not even close. Honestly, that team wasn't coached in a manner to really showcase what we truly had. We could have ran it up on just about everybody.  One of the best defensive teams I have ever watched. The D was so good it made it seem like no one player was really all that good. Everybody was a huge contributor!.

Offensively...J Campbell in 04 was unlike any QB experience I have seen. Literally everytime he dropped back and threw deep...I instantly would turn around and throw my hands up in the air because I knew it was going to be on the money and I knew that one of Ben, Devin, or Courtney was going to catch it. Never been able to do that again. Let's not even get into the best SEC backfield in history. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Vote now for the best team of all time
On 5/16/2023 at 11:34 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

Of course I never saw some of the greats as they were before my time, but to me this is not a difficult choice whatsoever.

It's 2004 and it's not even close. Honestly, that team wasn't coached in a manner to really showcase what we truly had. We could have ran it up on just about everybody.  One of the best defensive teams I have ever watched. The D was so good it made it seem like no one player was really all that good. Everybody was a huge contributor!.

Offensively...J Campbell in 04 was unlike any QB experience I have seen. Literally everytime he dropped back and threw deep...I instantly would turn around and throw my hands up in the air because I knew it was going to be on the money and I knew that one of Ben, Devin, or Courtney was going to catch it. Never been able to do that again. Let's not even get into the best SEC backfield in history. 

Sadly I don't think running up the score would've made any difference in who got picked. Like many years you had three really deserving teams.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 6:07 PM, AUwent said:

'83

We agree. 2004 would be second. 2010 third. But 1983 was beaten in a historical game that we dominated until we didn't. And no team beat 10 bowl teams ever until this team. For you young guys, 6 wins didn't get you any where close to a bowl game at this time. At one time , this was the best record compared to strength of schedule in modern times. I'm not Stat, so I'm not saying that still stands, but these guys were awesome. But the 2004 team were national champs, also. I saw everyone and we would have beaten USC. Not by much, but their receivers would have been carted off the field by the 3rd quarter, or developed what used to be called 'alligator arms'. They never got hit like the SEC and a few others could hit, and Oklahoma hadn't either. I will never change my opinion on this.  Not that it matters. 

nobody wanted to play 1993 either. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

We agree. 2004 would be second. 2010 third. But 1983 was beaten in a historical game that we dominated until we didn't. And no team beat 10 bowl teams ever until this team. For you young guys, 6 wins didn't get you any where close to a bowl game at this time. At one time , this was the best record compared to strength of schedule in modern times. I'm not Stat, so I'm not saying that still stands, but these guys were awesome. But the 2004 team were national champs, also. I saw everyone and we would have beaten USC. Not by much, but their receivers would have been carted off the field by the 3rd quarter, or developed what used to be called 'alligator arms'. They never got hit like the SEC and a few others could hit, and Oklahoma hadn't either. I will never change my opinion on this.  Not that it matters. 

nobody wanted to play 1993 either. 

Like, in 2004 both us and Okie were deserving of being there but in 1983...we beat the team that killed Miami.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AUwent said:

Like, in 2004 both us and Okie were deserving of being there but in 1983...we beat the team that killed Miami.

Amen. OU was not deserving , IMHO.  Nobody played defense like the SEC did at that time. Maybe FSU. If USC destroyed OU , we would have owned them. Remember you could head hunt I the secondary back then, and the QB was not a small 4/40 guy. Wouldn't have been smart.

48 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Amen. OU was not deserving , IMHO.  Nobody played defense like the SEC did at that time. Maybe FSU. If USC destroyed OU , we would have owned them. Remember you could head hunt I the secondary back then, and the QB was not a small 4/40 guy. Wouldn't have been smart.

I too think we would've beat OU...though even if there had been a playoff with a committee, we might've been put against USCw in the semis since Cal likely would've been picked fourth*, given that the committee likes avoiding semi rematches at all costs.

*Utah had the worst combined opponents record, had two common opponents with Cal who was much more dominant against both, and Cal had a better predictive rating than Texas.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Sadly I don't think running up the score would've made any difference in who got picked. Like many years you had three really deserving teams.

Wouldn't have made a difference at all. That is why I have always hated and always will hate Preseason polls. Polls shouldnt come out until at the very earliest Week 5. USC and Choklahoma started 1 and 2 and nobody was going to bump them down as long as they win. This is common especially if it is a blueblood program.

• Like 2

The only one that I bucked the popular trend on was 1972 vs 2013. Two incredible plays in the same game vs two in back to back games. Tough choice but 1972 was pretty special for a 12 year old kid so it wins for me. 2004 would get my overall vote. 

• Like 1