MISSING - Submersible that carries people to view the wreckage of the Titanic

A Search Is Underway for Missing Submarine That Takes People to See Titanic

A search is underway for a missing submersible that carries people to view the wreckage of the Titanic

A rescue operation was underway deep in the waters of the Atlantic Ocean on Monday in search of a submersible vessel that carries people to view the wreckage of the Titanic.

The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia said the vessel was reported overdue around 9:13 p.m. Sunday, about 435 miles (700 kilometres) south of St. John’s, Newfoundland. Lt. Cmdr. Len Hickey said a Canadian Coast Guard vessel and military aircraft were assisting the search effort, which was being led by the U.S. Coast Guard in Boston.

Read more here.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:15 PM, Tigermike said:

A Search Is Underway for Missing Submarine That Takes People to See Titanic

A search is underway for a missing submersible that carries people to view the wreckage of the Titanic

A rescue operation was underway deep in the waters of the Atlantic Ocean on Monday in search of a submersible vessel that carries people to view the wreckage of the Titanic.

The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia said the vessel was reported overdue around 9:13 p.m. Sunday, about 435 miles (700 kilometres) south of St. John’s, Newfoundland. Lt. Cmdr. Len Hickey said a Canadian Coast Guard vessel and military aircraft were assisting the search effort, which was being led by the U.S. Coast Guard in Boston.

Read more here.

You couldn’t pay me to do this. Steered with a game controller?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22758216/missing-titanic-sub-seven-major-issues/

• Like 1

My money would be on the sub having a hull breach/failure and basically exploding when the surface ship lost contact with them on Sunday. From what I've read a lot of the ship wasn't properly tested or manufactured to withstand the pressure at the deep levels the Titanic is at. 

Those sounds they are reporting hearing could be anything, and from my understanding banging or clanging sounds coming from the ocean aren't rare. 

That's be the preferred outcome. The pressurized explosion would have turned everyone onboard into human soup basically without them even knowing what was happening. 

If they really are onboard the lost vessel right now , it's been/ is going to be a very agonizing experience for them all. 

The CEO/driver of the Sub Stockton Rush was really out of his league and had a lot of hubris. He cut corners on everything trying to save money and didn't follow any regulations or safety protocols in the design and function of his sub because he wanted..again..to save money and he said he believed he could be "just as safe by breaking the rules" 

If he wanted to kill himself with his misadventures then whatever, but he really shouldn't have been bringing other people along for the ride who likely had a lot of misplaced trust in Rush and his company. 

• Like 1

A deep-sea robot found a "debris field" while searching for the sub that went missing while carrying five people to the wreckage of the Titanic, the U.S. Coast Guard said Thursday. Experts were evaluating the discovery by the ROV, or remotely operated vehicle.

LINK

IMG_20230622_130313.jpg

• Sad 2

https://apnews.com/article/missing-titanic-submersible-updates-6255308420cb542fab287224c3e9b1c1 

The company that owns the sub has released a statement saying the divers are all believed to be dead. 

Presumably the debris they recently found today has been identified as being parts of the sub. 

• Like 1

The Titan sub's design is 'cheesy' and simplistic on purpose, former OceanGate subcontractor says

• A former OceanGate subcontractor said Titan's design uses "off-the-shelf" components on purpose.
  • He argued this approach cut down on research and development, as well as costs.
  • But observers have raised safety concerns, calling OceanGate's approach "experimental." 

LINK

A senior US Navy official said in a statement: "The US Navy conducted an analysis of acoustic data and detected an anomaly consistent with an implosion or explosion in the general vicinity of where the Titan submersible was operating when communications were lost.

LINK

On 6/22/2023 at 9:20 AM, TexasTiger said:

You couldn’t pay me to do this. Steered with a game controller?

That controller wasn't the only issue.

OceanGate CEO once said Titan sub's hull was made with carbon fiber from Boeing that was past its airplane shelf life, would-be passenger says

• Arnie Weissmann, the editor in chief of Travel Weekly, said he was set to travel on the Titan sub.
  • After weather prevented it, he voiced concern over where OceanGate's CEO said he sourced materials from.
  • He said Rush told him he got carbon fiber to build the sub at a "big discount from Boeing."

LINK

On 6/22/2023 at 5:57 PM, Tigermike said:

A senior US Navy official said in a statement: "The US Navy conducted an analysis of acoustic data and detected an anomaly consistent with an implosion or explosion in the general vicinity of where the Titan submersible was operating when communications were lost.

LINK

How much of the world's oceans do we have miked up?    This is fascinating to me.    How many probes must be deployed?   How do the acoustics in the gulf, for example, filter out the thousands of recreational and charter boats noises vs subsurface noises?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

How much of the world's oceans do we have miked up?    This is fascinating to me.    How many probes must be deployed?   How do the acoustics in the gulf, for example, filter out the thousands of recreational and charter boats noises vs subsurface noises?

Likely, classified information. 

This is a tragic story for the paying passengers & their families.  For the arrogant CEO dismissive of any questions regarding safety flaws in the design of his pet project, he has to be the leader in the clubhouse for the 2023 Darwin Awards.  

• Like 1

SMH, What was this company thinking building a sub with carbon fiber?

Carbon Fiber Bike Frame: Pros and Cons

Pros

• Lighter weight- Carbon frames weigh 1-1.5lbs (450-680 grams) less than titanium
  • Excellent handling– Carbon fiber frames are stiff and responsive
  • Easier to repair- Broken or cracked carbon fiber can be patched
  • Comfortable ride- Carbon fiber offers excellent vibration absorption qualities
  • More efficient- Carbon fiber frames are lighter, more rigid, and more aerodynamic. It takes less energy to ride
  • Quieter- Carbon frames are less creaky

Cons

• Less durable- Carbo fiber is more brittle
  • Shorter lifespan- Carbon fiber frames typically last 6-10 years
  • More expensive- Riding a carbon bike cost more because the frame needs to be replaced more frequently
  • Worse for the environment- Carbon fiber isn’t very recyclable
  • Less safe- Carbon fiber frames can fail suddenly without warning
  • Harder to carry luggage- You can’t mount racks and panniers to
  • Like 1

After reading this article it's no surprise that this submersible imploded:  Accident Waiting to Happen

... OceanGate’s lawyer wrote, “The parties found themselves at an impasse—Mr. Lochridge was not, and specifically stated that he could not be made comfortable with OceanGate’s testing protocol, while Mr. Rush was unwilling to change the company’s plans.” The meeting ended in Lochridge’s firing.

Soon afterward, Rush asked OceanGate’s director of finance and administration whether she’d like to take over as chief submersible pilot. “It freaked me out that he would want me to be head pilot, since my background is in accounting,” she told me. She added that several of the engineers were in their late teens and early twenties, and were at one point being paid fifteen dollars an hour. Without Lochridge around, “I could not work for Stockton,” she said. “I did not trust him.” As soon as she was able to line up a new job, she quit.  ...

• Like 1