freeze presser

aubiefifty

3 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Just play one of Gus presser no difference, had a good week of practice, we will get it fixed....substitute any of the normal excuses...

I didn’t see that at all. Thought he was brutally honest, just wanted to see film to assign causation.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

The game plan went kind of how I had hoped in the first half, WTH was he watching, I guess he was emphasizing the second half running because nothing else was good at all...

Because the plays he/Montgomery drew up worked, with wide open recievers but Thorne overthrew them by 10 yards. A couple of those were TDs or atleast plays that got us in the redzone.

Edited by AU80cruiser
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Because the plays he/Montgomery drew up worked, with wide open recievers but Thorne overthrew them by 10 yards. A couple of those were TDs or atleast plays that got us in the redzone.

Ashford had another with a step on the DB downfield and overthrew by 15 yds. 

Freakin' unbeliveable!!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

That’s where I am with the offense. Every single opportunity was missed or a penalty was called

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Ashford had another with a step on the DB downfield and overthrew by 15 yds. 

Freakin' unbeliveable!!

3rd guy seemed closer than any of the three to me, but didn’t have long enough to tell.

I don’t think you can judge anything by what happens next week.  UGA is simply better at most positions.  Maybe a couple of our DB’s or RB’s are as good as theirs but you look at the both the lines and the receivers and I don’t we have a one that could start for them.  It’s likely going to be just as ugly or worse than what we witnessed today.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

That’s where I am with the offense. Every single opportunity was missed or a penalty was called

Or, there was a sack to end the drive or they went backward. It was a lackluster performance.

3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I don’t think you can judge anything by what happens next week.  UGA is simply better at most positions.  Maybe a couple of our DB’s or RB’s are as good as theirs but you look at the both the lines and the receivers and I don’t we have a one that could start for them.  It’s likely going to be just as ugly or worse than what we witnessed today.  

Georgia will be our 3rd game against a Power 5 opponent. In the previous two power 5 matchups this season, Cal and Texas A&M, we've produced a whopping total of 1 touchdown on offense. It was the final drive of the Cal game.

This once great and very competitive rivalry is a shell of it's old self. Georgia is going for their 7th win in a row over us. In the last 18 times we've played Georgia, we're 3-15. Sad

7 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Not to mention a third and long first down pass that the receiver dropped and a touchdown pass, as the announcer said, that hit the wide receiver in the bicep and he dropped it.

Certainly not blaming the wide outs for the atrocious QB play, but they didn’t really help either.

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to freeze presser
19 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I didn’t see that at all. Thought he was brutally honest, just wanted to see film to assign causation.

Yeah I kind of wish he would do more Gus speak. The opposing team can watch his presser and figure out how to beat us. They don’t even have to watch the tape.

Gus speak was a problem when he was our HC

CHF is too honest

Solution: Skip the presser after a loss altogether...

Take these penalties out and it’s a different game.

After issues at Texas A&M, Auburn's offensive line is SEC's most penalized

“Really hurt us in the long run. ... Not even just the scheme part, but just playing the game how it's supposed to be played.”

NATHAN KING2 hrs7

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — After its conference opener, Auburn is tops in the SEC in an undesirable category.

After a 27-10 loss at Texas A&M, the Tigers’ offensive linemen have now been penalized 16 times through four games, good for the most in the league. A flag fest on Saturday afternoon, where Auburn had 10 penalties as a team, made an already steep climb against a talented Aggies squad even rockier. 

“The bad part about it is that we moved the ball and got in scoring territory, then we get a penalty or a sack, and it knocked us out of scoring points that would've made it a little more interesting, for sure,” Hugh Freeze said postgame.

One of the keys Freeze harped on all week was that Auburn needed to stay out of third-and-long if it was going to have any hope of consistently succeeding offensively, and finishing drives. The Tigers went the opposite direction, with an average to-go distance on third down of 11.7 yards.

Yes, Texas A&M had seven sacks and eight more tackles for loss, but penalties also played a significant role in putting the Tigers behind the 8-ball. Of Auburn’s seven offensive penalties in the game — removing the three delays of game on special teams, which seemed to be intentional to give punter Oscar Chapman more room — five flags were thrown on third down. 

In the Tigers’ two Power Five games this season at Cal and Texas A&M, they have seven penalties on third down. Not a single one of those ensuing third downs were converted.

Auburn crossed midfield on five possessions but came away with only one field goal attempt. It had four offensive penalties in Texas A&M territory in the game that not only backed the Tigers up 35 yards of penalty yardage, but also wiped away a pair of first downs on holding calls.

“I mean, those two holding calls when we were in field-goal range both times really, really hurt,” Freeze said. “I'll be anxious to see them on film, and they were on two really good runs that we had that put us even closer. Penalties certainly did not help us. They came at difficult times.”

Of course, Auburn has plenty of other offensive issues to address this week ahead of a home game against No. 1 Georgia, and in next week’s bye week. But first-year position coach Jake Thornton’s cleaning things up with his group needs to be near the top of that list.

“Really hurt us in the long run,” running back Brian Battie said. “Without those penalties, the game could've been a whole different outcome. That's another thing that we also need to work on. Not even just the scheme part, but just playing the game how it's supposed to be played.”

Here’s a look at how penalty prone every SEC offensive line has been, with the only caveat being that Vanderbilt has played one more game than the rest of the league, after it opened its season in Week 0. Data is via Pro Football Focus charting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

In the previous two power 5 matchups this season, Cal and Texas A&M, we've produced a whopping total of 1 touchdown on offense. It was the final drive of the Cal game.

Thorne to Jay Fair in the 1st half v Cal.