2025 4* WR Derick Smith

Paladin

A Top 2025 WR Target. Also being recruited by Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Penn State, Texas and other schools.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Smith named Selma Times-Journal player of the week 

Published 5:09 am Thursday, September 7, 2023  By James Jones 

Southside wide receiver Derick Smith is named The Selma Times-Journal’s high school player of the week.  The junior played a leading role in the Bears’ season-opening 22-8 win over crosstown rival Selma last Friday at Memorial Stadium. Smith, The Selma Times-Journal offensive player of the year in 2022, had over 300 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns.  Smith caught seven passes for 233 yards and a 76-yard touchdown reception to break a scoreless tie in the first half. He ran for 109 yards on nine carries, including a 12-yard TD scamper in the third quarter to put the game away. At defensive back, he 14 total tackles, three quarterback sacks, five tackles for loss, a forced fumble and a pass breakup. Email newsletter signup Sign up for our daily email newsletter  Southside head coach Charles Moody Jr. said it was just an example of Smith showing why he’s a highly-touted prospect in the Class of 2025. Alabama, defending national champion Georgia and Arkansas are among the many Division I schools that have extended scholarship offers to Smith.  “I think he’s the best junior football player in the country,” Moody said. “He can line up at many different positions.”

Read more at: https://www.selmatimesjournal.com/2023/09/07/southside-wr-named-selma-times-journal-player-of-the-week/

Edited by Paladin

Derick Smith earns second player of the week 

Published 6:05 am Thursday, October 5, 2023  By James Jones

For the second time this season, Southside wide receiver Derick Smith is named The Selma Times-Journal’s high school player of the week.  The junior caught eight passes for 138 yards and two touchdowns as the Panthers beat Keith 22-0 last week at Panther Stadium. Smith also scored on a two-point conversion.  This is Smith’s second Player of the Week honor this season. Smith earned the award after the Panthers’ season-opening victory over crosstown rival Selma on Sept. 1 at Memorial Stadium. Email newsletter signup Sign up for our daily email newsletter  Southside head coach Charles Moody Jr. said Smith’s combination of speed and power are the main reasons why he’s a highly-touted prospect in the Class of 2025.  “Derick Smith is an all-around player and can do a lot of things,” Moody said. “He has a great intellect and a great understanding of the game which allows him to make plays on another level.”  Four other players have earned Player of the Week honors from the Selma Times-Journal: Southside quarterback MJ Reese, Southside wide receiver Erick Smith, Keith running back Sadarreion Reuben, and Keith quarterback Aveon Young.

Read more at: https://www.selmatimesjournal.com/2023/10/05/derick-smith-earns-second-selma-times-journal-player-of-the-week-honor/

Edited by Paladin

• 2 weeks later...

Smith earns 3rd Selma Times-Journal player of the week 

Published 11:21 am Wednesday, October 18, 2023  By James Jones  

Southside wide receiver Derick Smith is The Selma Times-Journal’s high school player of the week for a third time this season.  The junior scored five touchdowns as the Panthers smacked Greensboro 56-16 last Friday on Homecoming. Offensively. Smith had three catches for 158 yards and two touchdowns. He ran five times for 148 yards and three TDs. He also threw a two-point conversion play. At cornerback, Smith had six total tackles, two quarterback sacks and tree tackles for loss.  Southside head coach Charles Moody Jr. said he is never surprised at what Smith does on the field and continues to show why he’s a prized recruit. Email newsletter signup Sign up for our daily email newsletter  “Derick has a lot of instinctive motivation,” Moody said. ”He comes to work every day and continues to strive to be the best he can be.”

https://www.selmatimesjournal.com/2023/10/18/smith-named-selma-times-journal-player-of-the-week-for-3rd-time/

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I want this guy on our team badly! 

Which position would you like to see him play at Auburn? Safety or Wide Receiver

Edited by Paladin

On 10/24/2023 at 12:36 PM, woodford said:

What is it about him that you like? I haven’t read/watched much of him. 

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

From the limited film I've seen it's the combo of size and speed are what catches my eye first. Then it's his vision and playmaking abilities.  He just seems to be able to find the crease, cutback, or is patient enough to pick up blocks if necessary.  

• Thanks 1

VIDEO: Highlights of 4-star Auburn WR target Derick Smith

Watch highlights of one of Auburn's top 2025 targets.

CHRISTIAN CLEMENTE10 hrs0

MONTGOMERY, Alabama — An electric playmaker on both sides of the ball, Derick Smith is still raw as a football talent but has all the talent in the world. That was on full display last Friday night as Southside Selma took on Alabama Christian Academy, with Smith playing every snap on offense and defense until the game was out of reach at the end. That included a highlight-reel touchdown catch featuring a bevy of broken tackles and a kick that he blocked and return for a touchdown.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paladin said:

VIDEO: Highlights of 4-star Auburn WR target Derick Smith

Watch highlights of one of Auburn's top 2025 targets.

CHRISTIAN CLEMENTE10 hrs0

MONTGOMERY, Alabama — An electric playmaker on both sides of the ball, Derick Smith is still raw as a football talent but has all the talent in the world. That was on full display last Friday night as Southside Selma took on Alabama Christian Academy, with Smith playing every snap on offense and defense until the game was out of reach at the end. That included a highlight-reel touchdown catch featuring a bevy of broken tackles and a kick that he blocked and return for a touchdown.

Straight raw talent. I see ACA still can’t tackle as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Straight raw talent. I see ACA still can’t tackle as well. 

Gonna be very good with the right coaching 

• Like 4

Kinda reminds me of the kid from Birmingham Jackson-Olin a few years back, David Palmer, with his playmaking ability. A bigger version IMO

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

And we will take the majority 

That's a strong statement. Have we ever taken the majority in state?

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm optimistic 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Probably not in your lifetime.  Back in the day we always seemed to get out fair share, even with the shenanigans bama always pulled.  NIL will help our cause because we have enough power boosters that, now that it's legal, will keep us competitive.  Our booster's moral standards have always been superior to bama's boosters.  (Of course bama's had nothing to fear with the NCAA in their back pocket).

• Like 1