What do you want to see against Ole Miss

Win4AU

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

F that! That will set us back even further than we are right now. There is no downside to running what freeze wants to actually do which is be a pass first team. I don’t think running the elementary remedial offense we ran at the end of last year would result in any more wins this year. At some point we are going to have to be a pass first team. That’s modern football and that’s what freeze wants. Might as well keep practicing it even if the results are not good and it’s what recruits want to see. Plus we have to pass to set up the run not the other way around. Every team is stacking the box Vs us. 

So recruits would feel better watching Freeze run an offense that doesn't fit what his current roster can do rather than one that does? 

You can show them the plays and tell them "this can be you" all you want, but it's not like they're going to feel validated by a poorly ran scheme that COULD work if you get the perfect guys for it. Proof of concept sells more than intentions, and they have ZERO proof so far this season. 

We have one of the least imaginative running games you could have in the majority of the games we've played lol. It's pass early in the game, and then run in successive plays to try to establish some rhythm, and then it's run again when the passing stinks again. Not to mention...you can also stack the box when you can play man coverage on every receiver and there's no threat on being burned (or even a completion). 

The challenge of finding short/easy passing plays with Ashford to burn defenses when they play up in the box (like we did a couple times in the LSU game) seems a lot more achievable than tying to complete these nonsense fades and other 50/50 passes that we don't have the QB nor receivers to complete lmao. 

• Thanks 1

I'd like to see us pull out a profoundly undeserved win due to some combination of the other team's boneheaded mistakes and our own dumb luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We have one of the least imaginative running games you could have in the majority of the games we've played lol. It's pass early in the game, and then run in successive plays to try to establish some rhythm, and then it's run again when the passing stinks again. Not to mention...you can also stack the box when you can play man coverage on every receiver and there's no threat on being burned (or even a completion). 

The challenge of finding short/easy passing plays with Ashford to burn defenses when they play up in the box (like we did a couple times in the LSU game) seems a lot more achievable than tying to complete these nonsense fades and other 50/50 passes that we don't have the QB nor receivers to complete lmao. 

I agree . The bottom line these kids still want to win. Trying to make something work with the people that don’t fit is wild. That’s why he is bringing in people to fit that system. Most of these guys won’t even be around . These kids deserve to be put in the best situation for right now to win. Even if they go 6-6. A bowl game gets them extra practice and some this will be the last football they play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So recruits would feel better watching Freeze run an offense that doesn't fit what his current roster can do rather than one that does? 

You can show them the plays and tell them "this can be you" all you want, but it's not like they're going to feel validated by a poorly ran scheme that COULD work if you get the perfect guys for it. Proof of concept sells more than intentions, and they have ZERO proof so far this season. 

I look at this season as just one long practice. We are going to take our lumps. I see no value in running something freeze and Montgomery never had before. Here’s how it would go. Work great Vs New Mexico State and MAYBE vandy. Get absolutely stonewalled Vs every other team.  That’s the same ish Gus did. Put up gawdy rushing numbers Vs overmatched teams and then when we went up against the real competition We couldn’t do anything after predictably the run game got stuffed over and over. 

Edited by GwillMac6

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Ashford nor Thorne are clearly the answer this year and especially the future. At this point just put Holdy Goldy in there and let it rip. We are going to most likely lost against every other team we play besides vandy and New Mexico State. Let’s see if there is anything there with him. There is no downside at this point. This is the stretch coming up with an easier schedule to give him the best chance to succeed. 

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's a catch 22. Our DL can't rush passer.  If we blitz, our secondary gets exposed. Just not very good up front on D.

Yes. Just wishful thinking.  Cruitin will have to be razor sharp on our D Line.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ashford nor Thorne are clearly the answer this year and especially the future. At this point just put Holdy Goldy in there and let it rip. We are going to most likely lost against every other team we play besides vandy and New Mexico State. Let’s see if there is anything there with him. There is no downside at this point. This is the stretch coming up with an easier schedule to give him the best chance to succeed. 

I think we beat Moo State & possibly Arky

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

F that! That will set us back even further than we are right now. There is no downside to running what freeze wants to actually do which is be a pass first team. I don’t think running the elementary remedial offense we ran at the end of last year would result in any more wins this year. At some point we are going to have to be a pass first team. That’s modern football and that’s what freeze wants. Might as well keep practicing it even if the results are not good and it’s what recruits want to see. Plus we have to pass to set up the run not the other way around. Every team is stacking the box Vs us. 

Agree!

• Thanks 1

Just now, ArgoEagle said:

I think we beat Moo State & possibly Arky

Arky record is deceiving. They have played really well on the road vs bama and lsu. I think that’s going to be a extremely hard game for AU with it not being at home.

• Like 1

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Arky record is deceiving. They have played really well on the road vs bama and lsu. I think that’s going to be a extremely hard game for AU with it not being at home.

I think toss up right now

• Like 1

What I want to see vs OM:

Austin Keys at MLB

More passes to Frazier, Brown, and Burton

Keionte Scott, Pritchett, Simpson, and James all on the field at the same time 

More effort out of the d line

Up tempo offense all game 

More Jeremiah Cobb

Coaches on the sideline with a high-level of energy on the sidelines all game. FREE CADILLAC AND LET HIM SET THE TONE ON WHAT AU ENERGY IS ALL ABOUT

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

It’s interesting all this talk about stacking the box . The same logic was made last year and Auburn still ran all over teams. It’s even more to their benefit now since the clock keeps running. However RA has proved he can throw. To me he is very similar  to Milroe surely they can scheme something.

To me it’s a slippery slope if u  just say screw it and use these games that people pay hard earned money for as extended practices. The coach is getting paid to win games period.

49 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I look at this season as just one long practice. We are going to take our lumps. I see no value in running something freeze and Montgomery never had before. Here’s how it would go. Work great Vs New Mexico State and MAYBE vandy. Get absolutely stonewalled Vs every other team.  That’s the same ish Gus did. Put up gawdy rushing numbers Vs overmatched teams and then when we went up against the real competition We couldn’t do anything after predictably the run game got stuffed over and over. 

I don't know what these guys are capable of after watching 6 games of this season, but I'm assuming they're capable of figuring out an offense Carnell and Will Friend drew up in a week! If you personally believe there's more value to running a scheme that probably won't work this season and may not even look the same going into next year, that's fine. I would personally think there's some faith lost, from many different groups (fans, maybe some recruits, some players on the roster, etc.) in running a scheme that doesn't fit your personnel. 

As we see with 2023 Alabama, Tennessee, TCU, Kansas St, you can have immense success playing one way (as they all did last year). But you may not always have the guys to play that way. You can't just go out there and suck trying to play the way you'd like 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Thanks 1

I want to see a half where Ashford starts, a half where Geriner starts, and Thorne never sees the field. I want to see Alston, Cobb, anyone at RB over JH. And I want to lose by only two touchdowns. Is that too much to ask?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I agree . The bottom line these kids still want to win. Trying to make something work with the people that don’t fit is wild. That’s why he is bringing in people to fit that system. Most of these guys won’t even be around . These kids deserve to be put in the best situation for right now to win. Even if they go 6-6. A bowl game gets them extra practice and some this will be the last football they play. 

Exactly. To me, THAT is Gus-esque more than what was discussed earlier. Just pounding square pegs in round holes. 

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't know what these guys are capable of after watching 6 games of this season, but I'm assuming they're capable of figuring out an offense Carnell and Will Friend drew up in a week! If you personally believe there's more value to running a scheme that probably won't work this season and may not even look the same going into next year, that's fine. I would personally think there's some faith lost, from many different groups (fans, maybe some recruits, some players on the roster, etc.) in running a scheme that doesn't fit your personnel. 

As we see with 2023 Alabama, Tennessee, TCU, Kansas St, you can have immense success playing one way (as they all did last year). But you may not always have the guys to play that way. You can't just go out there and suck trying to play the way you'd like 

I will be honest with you. I don’t think these players can do anything successful. Are they more suited to run the ball? Marginally. But it wouldn’t be successful because it would be so predictable since we can’t throw the ball to keep the defense honest with these WRs which is the worst position group on the team AND we won’t be able to run against heavy run defensive fronts against teams with a pulse.  

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

AND we won’t be able to run against heavy run defensive fronts against teams with a pulse.  

We agree that there’s not very much this offense is going to do anything very well. I know this sounds crazy, but at this point our only wins are likely to come against teams with no pulse like MSU, Vandy, and MSU and that’s why I’m ready to roll with Robbie with a run heavy scheme and try to hit enough deep balls to have a chance.  

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

We agree that there’s not very much this offense is going to do anything very well. I know this sounds crazy, but at this point our only wins are likely to come against teams with no pulse like MSU, Vandy, and MSU and that’s why I’m ready to roll with Robbie with a run heavy scheme and try to hit enough deep balls to have a chance.  

I’m so tired and bored of run heavy offenses  that I have seen in my lifetime from AU I don’t care to see it anymore tbh. I know that won’t be popular but I will own it. Does it give us a better chance to win this season? Yah marginally but I don’t think it’s worth it and would set us back. We can’t just keep reverting back to run heavy schemes once things get tough. A full on rebuild is taking our lumps as we adjust to being more pass oriented. Our fans are just so accustomed to running the ball it’s tough for them to let go.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m so tired and bored of run heavy offenses  that I have seen in my lifetime from AU I don’t care to see it anymore tbh. I know that won’t be popular but I will own it. Does it give us a better chance to win this season? Yah marginally but I don’t think it’s worth it and would set us back. We can’t just keep reverting back to run heavy schemes once things get tough. A full on rebuild is taking our lumps as we adjust to being more pass oriented. Our fans are just so accustomed to running the ball it’s tough for them to let go.

I don’t disagree. But we have a guy who’s thrown for 6000 yards as a Big 10 qb but has only broken 100 yards once in 4 P5 games at Auburn. Robbie can give us that much and likely more. No reason to believe that our passing game is on the verge of flourishing with either but I hope I’m wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don’t disagree. But we have a guy who’s thrown for 6000 yards as a Big 10 qb but has only broken 100 yards once in 4 P5 games at Auburn. Robbie can give us that much and likely more. No reason to believe that our passing game is on the verge of flourishing with either but I hope I’m wrong. 

Oh it’s def not. I just don’t think just running a read option offense with ashford is going to magically make us a dominant rushing offense. 

• Like 1

This is a rebuild. Everything your seeing on the field is what happens in a rebuild. Wild up and downs. It may get worse b4 it gets better. That's just how it is. Over analyzing won't help. Kinda like a stomach virus.  Gotta run its course.  There is no quick fix

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

From what I've seen, Freeze ISNT running an offense that fits his current roster.

Unless his offense is hump a football three plays and punt.

• Haha 1