Receiver

LPTiger

Thus far, in just 6 games, we have played 10 receivers (not counting tight ends and receivers).   7 of the 10 have recorded just 3 catches or less.  Having played 10 receivers, one wonders how many different combinations of X, Z and H we have put out on the field -- 25, 30, 50?  I'm sure Brown being hurt during most of fall practice and Johnson pulling his hamstring has impacted these numbers.   The fact that we have not yet settled on a smaller core group of receivers and thus repeatedly repped that smaller group is not helping the passing game.   

Several things must go right in order to complete a pass: (1) a good snap on the correct snap count, (2) all 5 offensive lineman block the right guy, recognize blitzes, correctly handoff blocks and pick up the blitz, (3) 3 receivers running the correct routes and being at the correct landmarks at the correct time, (4) QB seeing the field, recognizing coverages and making the best decision on where the ball should go, (5) QB delivering a catchable ball and (6) receiver making a play on the ball and completing the catch.  

All 6 are important, but #3 is probably the most important.  If the receiver being thrown to is not in the right place at the right time a catch likely isn't going to occur.  If this repeats itself, the QB can lose faith in the receiver and stop looking for him. If the other 2 receivers are not in the right place at the right time, it could impact the ability of the 3rd receiver to get open.   #5 is in part related to #3.  The only way for #s 3-6, to work well on Saturday is to repeatedly rep them on Monday -Thursday with the same personnel.

Take a simple 10 yard out route as an example.   In a perfect world, all 10 of our receivers would get to the 10 yard mark in an exactly equal amount of time, all 10 would come out of their breaks with the exact same amount of quickness and all 10 would run the out part of the route with exact same amount of flatness or coming back to the ball.   In other words, in a perfect world, all 10 would be at the exact same "spot" on the field at the exact same time every time the route is called.   If that were true, the QB could simply throw to the "spot" regardless of who is running the route.   But in the real world, if all 10 of our receivers run a 10 yard out, we probably have at least 7 different spots.     This makes the QB's job difficult.

I am hoping that this week we narrowed our rotations during practice, and we will see fewer rotations tonight. That should lead to a more competent looking passing game.   Running the ball well will also help!!!   

I like your analysis. I agree with it. I just have little faith in their ability to make it happen 😔 But, tonight would be a great night for all the right things to click and help the fans forget about their past inconsistencies. 

18 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

When was the last time (or have we really ever) had a true game breaker all star WR?

It’s hard to say because Auburn has always been a run first team. Just line up and smack u in the mouth type of teams. There have been some really good receivers to come through though.

Edited by e808

1 hour ago, TigerPAC said:

When was the last time (or have we really ever) had a true game breaker all star WR?

I can’t recall one since watching Auburn football in the early ‘00s. Seth Williams is the closest thing that comes to mind in the past decade or so. 

IMO #3 is predicated on #2. So, chicken (completing a pass) and the egg (creating time to complete a pass) scenario I guess.

My put is making sure we RECRUIT lineman for the future. I want AU to be known as LinemanU. If we build the LOS the other positions will come.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

I can’t recall one since watching Auburn football in the early ‘00s. Seth Williams is the closest thing that comes to mind in the past decade or so. 

Auinsy, you missed Ronny Daniels by a couple of years.   He was a beast.   In one game against UGA he had an incredible play where I think every player on defense touched him but none tackled him.   He was one of our best. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, e808 said:

It’s hard to say because Auburn has always been a run first team. Just line up and smack u in the mouth type of teams. There have been some really good receivers to come through though.

I would say Seth Williams was the most recent I remember. We have been a run first team, but with a bad OL and much smaller tailbacks recently, that’s not working either. Just a bit of a mess currently. 

• Like 1

I agree, Seth Williams would be the most recent receiver.  Prior to him who Courtney Taylor, perhaps Darvin Adams?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

I agree, Seth Williams would be the most recent receiver.  Prior to him who Courtney Taylor, perhaps Darvin Adams?

Yup, those both came to mind. Courtney Taylor’s stats weren’t really even that impressive when I looked at Auburn career receivers, but he definitely delivered in the clutch when it mattered most. We’d kill for a CT today. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Frank Sanders. Obviously Terry Beasley so not sure why you would ask if we’ve ever had one. 

16 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Frank Sanders. Obviously Terry Beasley so not sure why you would ask if we’ve ever had one. 

Geez dude, just asked a question.  And I was born in 72. 
frank was good and above average, made catches when it counted for sure.  

Edited by TigerPAC

6 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Geez dude, just asked a question.  And I was born in 72. 
frank was good and above average, made catches when it counted for sure.  

I was born in 80. I still know about Beasley. 

25 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

He asked last time— helluva long time since the late great Beasley. 

3 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

Obamanu and Aromishdo , spelling were good ones in early 2000’s. 

7 hours ago, creed said:

IMO #3 is predicated on #2. So, chicken (completing a pass) and the egg (creating time to complete a pass) scenario I guess.

My put is making sure we RECRUIT lineman for the future. I want AU to be known as LinemanU. If we build the LOS the other positions will come.

Bingo!  We still have a major problem at OL. 

8 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Darius Slayton is playing on Sundays now. His draft status and the articles written about him not being prepared for the NFL due to Gus’ offense is the reason we suck today. After all the negative articles we could not recruit a WR or OL. Same for the big guard that was drafted by the colts. Simple offense, no audibles, simple route tree, etc. 

8 hours ago, creed said:

THIS. 
This all that matters. You have a nasty offensive line and you can be successful in the run and pass game. If you are very average on the line, you can only hide it with high level skill guys for a very short amount of time. And you don’t get a Cam or a Nick very often. Get the fat-boys and you’ll be successful.

16 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Terry Beasley??🤷‍♂️