Robby Vs Thorne: Game Stats

W.E.D

This isn’t lost on anyone paying attention.    Thorne isn’t lighting it on fire either.   If you gave the guy the ball and game planned around his strengths, I believe AU’s offense would be in a better place.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Thought this was interesting.

I went into the OM game wanting to see Ashford play more and I came out of the game satisfied to keep seeing him less.

And the difference I saw was this:  When Thorne is in the game there are at least two elements that defenses are somewhat uncertain about.  They think he might actually throw the ball, and they don't expect him to run it so they are always caught off guard when he keeps it on the zone read, and he has room to run when he drops back to pass b/c they are actually defending the pass.

When Ashford is in the game everyone...EVERY. ONE. knows what's coming on every play.

So it's not that I think that Thorne is playing so much better than Ashford, it's that I don't think we can/will use Ashford in a productive manner.  We're going to trot him out there with a sign around his neck that says "I'm about to run the ball," and rely on his athleticism to produce anyway despite the fact that the defense automatically spies him.  Terry Bowden used to do the same thing with Dameyune Craig before he became the starter and it used to make me want to beat his hiney.  Now Freeze does it with Ashford.

So if that's how we're going to use him, sure, I'd rather see Thorne.

Of course, what I would rather see is us figure out what defenses expect and try to utilize what we've got to exploit the opposite when Ashford is in the game like we do when Thorne is in the game (to some extent, at least), but that doesn't seem to be something we think we can/should do, so...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Amen, Pony! From what I've seen so far, Thorne is better in the hurry up in a three step, get the ball out drop. Somebody on the forum said it last weekend, (Bird?) and I totally agree. Kudos on the observation about Thorne and the run-pass threat he brings to the table, but I wonder why they don't have Robbie roll out with a RPO? Get him on the edge and make the D sweat if you're gonna use him at QB. And if you're going 3 and out a good bit of the time, that negates the argument to slow the O down anyway. I would probably go hurry up after a first down and ride Thorne at this point if no one else is ready.

Edited by JuscAUse!

Arguing against my own post, but prior to the last drive, Thorne was 5-8 for 23 yards lol.  

Prevent propped up his numbers a good bit

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I wonder why they don't have Robbie roll out with a RPO? 

Been saying the same thing for weeks now.  And they did that Saturday...once, early in the game.  Might even have been the 1st possession. 

I would be doing it every play he was on the field.  It solves the problem of the pocket collapsing, Ashford throws better when he's moving than he does when he's standing still, and they have to worry about both threats in that scenario, it gets him out of traffic into a more open field environment where his elusiveness can he helpful, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Arguing against my own post, but prior to the last drive, Thorne was 5-8 for 23 yards lol.  

I don't think it was "prevent" that was responsible for the increased production.  If you go back and look, most of the throws he made were contested by DBs playing right on the WR in man.  What the end of the game showed me is that Thorne can be effective with a short passing attack.  Why we don't run it until the game is out of reach, I have no idea.

5 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I don't think it was "prevent" that was responsible for the increased production.  If you go back and look, most of the throws he made were contested by DBs playing right on the WR in man.  What the end of the game showed me is that Thorne can be effective with a short passing attack.  Why we don't run it until the game is out of reach, I have no idea.

He's had two good end of game drives vs Cal an Ole Miss.  Hugh even mentioned in his post game that the defense was back giving cushion and was hesitant to give props

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

He's had two good end of game drives vs Cal an Ole Miss.  Hugh even mentioned in his post game that the defense was back giving cushion and was hesitant to give props

Well, then you win the internet.  Congratulations!

• Haha 1

I was really disappointed when Robbie ran out of bounds short of the line on third down when all he had to do was cut back and get one extra yard. It just seemed to me at that time he would rather not get hit than give that little extra. It looked to me like CHF was frustrated by it too. I think he thought he had the first down but in a close game you have to make sure. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I was really disappointed when Robbie ran out of bounds short of the line on third down when all he had to do was cut back and get one extra yard. It just seemed to me at that time he would rather not get hit than give that little extra. It looked to me like CHF was frustrated by it too. I think he thought he had the first down but in a close game you have to make sure. 

this.  ashford needs to realize that he cannot outrun everybody.  needs to get what yardage he can, field awareness included.  on that play, turn it up and dive!  

just win this weekend please

Auburn played with tempo that last drive.  Auburn doesn’t play more tempo because of defensive depth.  Auburn’s defense is getting worked playing slow and not working.  I’ll take giving up 70 plays and having a productive tempo offense than giving up 65 plays and not having a productive offense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe the Hurry up piece impacted his numbers also. Thats also 62.5% completion rate ( which is better than usual). It does seem to show, they callled more running plays for Thorne than usual.

• Like 1

Auburn's offense is an abysmal pile of hot messness!!! I can't blame Payton or Robbie at this point for anything they are doing. The blame should all go to the OC and Hugh. They have not done a good job of putting these players in positions to succeed. You mean to tell me that these coaches don't know their strengths by now? I know this can't be what a properly coached team looks like. This is highschoolish stuff and that is why I keep saying Hugh is Gus 2.0. Please prove me otherwise! Caddy could do a better job than this and he proved it last season. 

At this point of the season and trying to look forward to next season; what is wrong with giving each QB, including Holden, a quarter to show what they can do? Call plays to their strengths and see how they respond knowing that they will not be pulled out of the game. Heck, if Holden is not a consideration, why not give Payton and Robbie each a half to see what they can do? 

To me, for something to be disappointing implies a certain level of being surprised. Nix got booed and I heard Finley got booed in games before. If legacy, great hope, Bo Nix can get booed, anyone can get booed. 

That’s all I have to opine on 

2 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I went into the OM game wanting to see Ashford play more and I came out of the game satisfied to keep seeing him less.

And the difference I saw was this:  When Thorne is in the game there are at least two elements that defenses are somewhat uncertain about.  They think he might actually throw the ball, and they don't expect him to run it so they are always caught off guard when he keeps it on the zone read, and he has room to run when he drops back to pass b/c they are actually defending the pass.

When Ashford is in the game everyone...EVERY. ONE. knows what's coming on every play.

So it's not that I think that Thorne is playing so much better than Ashford, it's that I don't think we can/will use Ashford in a productive manner.  We're going to trot him out there with a sign around his neck that says "I'm about to run the ball," and rely on his athleticism to produce anyway despite the fact that the defense automatically spies him.  Terry Bowden used to do the same thing with Dameyune Craig before he became the starter and it used to make me want to beat his hiney.  Now Freeze does it with Ashford.

So if that's how we're going to use him, sure, I'd rather see Thorne.

Of course, what I would rather see is us figure out what defenses expect and try to utilize what we've got to exploit the opposite when Ashford is in the game like we do when Thorne is in the game (to some extent, at least), but that doesn't seem to be something we think we can/should do, so...

They literally ran the guy on the first play of the game, which ended up being ran into edge contain and a 4 yard loss lol. Not to mention the 4th and 1 early on also being a QB shotgun draw into a stacked box. 

They’re playing this guy more snaps than anyone who’s ever been considered a package QB only, while still using him like a package QB. How do you give someone an entire drive and use him like a gadget??? 

I still don’t know if he can throw particularly well, but I know he can’t run through 3 dudes who are meeting him at the point before he even gets the chance to get there himself

25 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn played with tempo that last drive.  Auburn doesn’t play more tempo because of defensive depth.  Auburn’s defense is getting worked playing slow and not working.  I’ll take giving up 70 plays and having a productive tempo offense than giving up 65 plays and not having a productive offense.

Is that actual reasoning that has been provided by coaches or just an interpretation? There’s no respectable coaching staff that would hamstring their own offense in the face of a losing season, right?

It's all a hot mess. Freeze keeps saying we Robby needs a package. Well, that package just doesn't have much in it once you take the wrapper off. Until Freeze decides to pick one QB, and ride with him nothing is going to change. It's dysfunction junction. 

Brandon Cox was booed for Kodi, Cobb was booed for Campbell.  The QB will always take the blame when the offense is struggling and the backup will always be the most popular player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Is that actual reasoning that has been provided by coaches or just an interpretation? There’s no respectable coaching staff that would hamstring their own offense in the face of a losing season, right?

I’ve heard that multiple times and I want to say Hugh mentioned that in the Ole Miss presser too.  Ole Miss’s offense I believe ran 75 plays Saturday.

Ashford is not a solution. 

Neither QB is reacting quickly when the ball is snapped. When Ashford is in, it's generally to run. Ole Miss, which is not a great defense, reacted quickly to that. Better defenses will shut it down. When he throws, his eyes are generally downfield and he holds the ball nearly as long as Thorne before looking to check down. Thorne is very slow to make a decision and seems overwhelmed by the pressure. I do feel he is more capable of making a wider range of throws, though. Ultimately, this two quarterback thing is hurting both players and probably causing dissension. I can't see them continuing to do this as anything other than bad coaching. 

Robby plays with a lot of intensity, which I think makes him a fan favorite in contrast to Thorne's rattled demeanor, but I don't think he's a markedly different player than last year. The roster is what it is, but there are definitely deficiencies with coaching which are aggravating our problems.