Freeze responds to not being aggressive enough

Auburn93

This is a link to his press conference that you can hear, and it covers the whole press conference. It is not coach speak. He says it in a nicer way but he is saying we don't know what we are talking about. Go to the 20 minute mark...I agree with him..

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

This is a link to his press conference that you can hear, and it covers the whole press conference. It is not coach speak. He says it in a nicer way but he is saying we don't know what we are talking about. Go to the 20 minute mark...I agree with him..

I..I..I

That’s an issue.  

• Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 1

“I think you all would all say I have been very transparent with you guys since I’ve been here. Maybe to a fault. But I think genuine relationships are like that. So, will you permit me to be transparent with this and we can have an honest dialogue about it, OK?

“You guys can say whatever you want. Whether it’s opinion, whether it’s facts. And I saw many of you – that was your take on it. Do you realize we had one possession in the third quarter? What did we do on that? Got points. Pretty good drive. Do you realize in the fourth quarter that we had the football on the minus 3, the minus 5 and the minus 14, one possession on the 30 that I punted on fourth and 1.

“We were up two scores. Those are the only possessions we had. We were up three scores on one of them, two scores on the other. And they’re bringing gut cross and superfield missile every play as we’re backed up, trying to get in the game.

“And I was aggressive. I actually threw it for a first down and we got called for a penalty and (moved) back. I threw it three times. Which is pretty crazy, probably. I would love after this for you to go show me what aggressive looks like on the board, blocking superfield missile and gut cross. I want to know.

“So, absolutely, you guys and ladies that – you just say things and you don’t – I mean, that’s the facts. I don’t know how to be more aggressive. That’s the possessions we had. That was it. I would have loved to have had some possessions like we did in the first quarter, where we started at the 25 or the 30. But I promise you I was not going to be aggressive up two scores on the 5-yard line or 3-yard line and let something crazy happen and a tipped a ball and they return it for a touchdown and all of a sudden momentum flips. That would not be based in good wisdom.”

• Like 6

Just now, Dwayne Pride said:

Someone doesn’t like criticism of the coaching staff.  

Someone thinks he knows more than others and gets butt hurt when someone call him out on it. 🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

I..I..I

That’s an issue.  

Yes, it seems the I on your keyboard is sticking. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 7

There seems to be a refreshing trend of top tier coaches pushing back on guys in sports media who had to pick between flipping burgers and trying to get clicks for Al.com, SI, BSPN, etc. Dabo, Freeze, etc. A bit risky b/c the burger flippers brethren come to their defense but sports media are generally SO unqualified to opine these days.

Twasnt always that way.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

52 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

There seems to be a refreshing trend of top tier coaches pushing back on guys in sports media who had to pick between flipping burgers and trying to get clicks for Al.com, SI, BSPN, etc. Dabo, Freeze, etc. A bit risky b/c the burger flippers brethren come to their defense but sports media are generally SO unqualified to opine these days.

Twasnt always that way.

The quality in journalism in this country is dreadful. I 100% support coaches pushing back on these clowns. Half of them don’t even like the sport they just couldn’t get a gig covering politics or something else useless. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Twasnt always that way.

What I really like about Freeze is that he just seems unfazed by it and very secure in his reasons. Could his past issues actually be working in his favor here? I don’t think it hurts because he’s had to answer for a lot of stuff and work through it so when questions come up about something like play calling, he probably like “this is a piece of cake “. He’s faced harder questions in his own living room. 

• Like 2

I thought it was funny watching him answer that question. Who doesn’t love hearing “gut cross” and “super fill missile.”

The better discussion would have been - why did it take you eight games to exercise your authority and dictate that offensive game plan? What were you seeing or hearing that finally had you pull that trigger? 

• Like 2

I mainly only listen to 247 AU Undercover, so I like the guy and I'm going to sound like a total boomer here, but I physically cringe when I hear Nathan King call him "Hugh." 

It's Coach Freeze. Or Coach Hugh Freeze. 

Sorry, carry on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, woodford said:

The quality in journalism in this country is dreadful. I 100% support coaches pushing back on these clowns. Half of them don’t even like the sport they just couldn’t get a gig covering politics or something else useless. 

i cannot stand thamel or whatever his name is. what a joke. all he had for years was made up bull on cam. i still remember finebaums very first article covering auburn and texas. i thought it was funny. i believe it was something about watching the clouds roll by instead of taking care of business. that made folks mad but i have a huge sense of humor................

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’m not 100% on this) but Auburn had one possession the entire third-quarter and they got a field goal on that possession. They had three possessions in the fourth quarter the last of the three after picking up a couple first downs PT was taking a knee to run the clock out. That leaves two more possessions in the fourth quarter. One of them we started at the 2 yard line, picked up a first down or two, didn’t take any chances up two scores, backed up inside your own 5 yard line. There is one other possession I guess you can criticize. So that’s the second half in a nutshell. Again, correct me if I’m wrong because I’m too lazy to go back and review and verify.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AU120289 said:

I thought it was funny watching him answer that question. Who doesn’t love hearing “gut cross” and “super fill missile.”

Follow up question, "DO YOU KNOW WHAT AN OVERFRONT IS!?!"

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, woodford said:

I mainly only listen to 247 AU Undercover, so I like the guy and I'm going to sound like a total boomer here, but I physically cringe when I hear Nathan King call him "Hugh." 

It's Coach Freeze. Or Coach Hugh Freeze. 

Sorry, carry on.

Reporters these days have absolutely zero sense of respect for Head Coaches at any level.  It's asinine and a huge turnoff for listeners.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’m not 100% on this) but Auburn had one possession the entire third-quarter and they got a field goal on that possession. They had three possessions in the fourth quarter the last of the three after picking up a couple first downs PT was taking a knee to run the clock out. That leaves two more possessions in the fourth quarter. One of them we started at the 2 yard line, picked up a first down or two, didn’t take any chances up two scores, backed up inside your own 5 yard line. There is one other possession I guess you can criticize. So that’s the second half in a nutshell. Again, correct me if I’m wrong because I’m too lazy to go back and review and verify.

don't remember the details either, but our offense in the 2nd half was obviously less aggressive than in the 1st half. I am not saying that was a bad decision because we won. But it's obvious and he deserves criticism on this after the extremely poor passing offense in previous SEC games this season. The fan base wants him to keep the gas pedal all the way down for entertainment reasons. seems like a reasonable want from the fans, but I'd probably go his route if I wanted to secure the win.  

Yeah, we should have kept throwing! Just like Curly Hallman did…

“After LSU jumped out to a 23-9 lead going into the fourth quarter, Auburn had five fourth quarter interceptions - three were returned for touchdowns - as the Tigers extended their winning streak to 15 games with a 30–26 win. Auburn made one first down in the second half, yet scored 27 points in the comeback.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmhAb3i99mg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was in agreement that the second half was bland in contrast to the first. I listened to the press conference and Freeze made logical points. So it changed my mind. No coach will get aggressive when leading by two scores and are between the 1 yard line and 15. It is not logical. He made his point and his point resonated.

There are some in the media that are insufferable(Hoke).  Listening to them opine is like chatting with bama fans. We as Auburn fans do not need much to get us on the warpath(including me on that). They stoke those feelings and then sit back and complain that we are being unreasonable. Yet they complain about the same things. The coaches defending themselves from media is ok by me. Dabo took it too far in attacking a fan and he needs to stop being a b!t@#. Largely because coaches come and go. Fans on the other hand are there through multiple tenures. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dwayne Pride said:

I..I..I

That’s an issue.  

Please explain. 

22 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

“I think you all would all say I have been very transparent with you guys since I’ve been here. Maybe to a fault. But I think genuine relationships are like that. So, will you permit me to be transparent with this and we can have an honest dialogue about it, OK?

“You guys can say whatever you want. Whether it’s opinion, whether it’s facts. And I saw many of you – that was your take on it. Do you realize we had one possession in the third quarter? What did we do on that? Got points. Pretty good drive. Do you realize in the fourth quarter that we had the football on the minus 3, the minus 5 and the minus 14, one possession on the 30 that I punted on fourth and 1.

“We were up two scores. Those are the only possessions we had. We were up three scores on one of them, two scores on the other. And they’re bringing gut cross and superfield missile every play as we’re backed up, trying to get in the game.

“And I was aggressive. I actually threw it for a first down and we got called for a penalty and (moved) back. I threw it three times. Which is pretty crazy, probably. I would love after this for you to go show me what aggressive looks like on the board, blocking superfield missile and gut cross. I want to know.

“So, absolutely, you guys and ladies that – you just say things and you don’t – I mean, that’s the facts. I don’t know how to be more aggressive. That’s the possessions we had. That was it. I would have loved to have had some possessions like we did in the first quarter, where we started at the 25 or the 30. But I promise you I was not going to be aggressive up two scores on the 5-yard line or 3-yard line and let something crazy happen and a tipped a ball and they return it for a touchdown and all of a sudden momentum flips. That would not be based in good wisdom.”

I have to agree with Coach. Field position was pitiful in the 2nd Half. All that CHF and the team had accomplished in the 1st Half would have been squandered with one  mistake. 
I have to appreciate the candor of Coach. There wasn’t a lot of coach speak.

• Like 3