MBB: AU vs App State

RunInRed

3 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

For whatever reason, we can't defend without fouling. 

And we are either in a shooting slump, or are not a particularly good shooting team. 

We'll win some we aren't supposed to win.  BP does that.  But I'm expecting some frustrating losses as well.

Grow during the season, and see what happens in March.  I've adjusted my expectations to that.

I do wonder if our best player being a post player is affecting our guards. We don’t really run anything to try and get them open. In theory Broome being a force in the interior should make for wide open 3’s but that hasn’t been the case the past 2 years. 

BP had some absolutely explosive 3 point shooting teams here and at Tennessee but the stretch from 2020 till now is the worst stretch of 3 point shooting I’ve seen from his teams.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That’s where the loss of Flanagan is going to be hurt the most - we just don’t have a great guard defender as an option. CBM has moments like that, but he’s not really a guy you would want to put on point guards. Flanagan could defend 1-4 reliably. Going to have to be a lot of nights like today where our guys play help defense on drivers and we have to just hope open shooters don’t make shots, unlike App St did 

May just have to play zone a lot more which I know BP hates. 

• Like 2

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Also hard to recruit with it because they don’t use it in the nba

• Like 1

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I think it’s going to have to be inevitable in conference play. Ark, Bama and UK are gonna tear Aden and Tre apart otherwise 

• Like 1

Like Bruce said, if you can’t win in places like this you sure won’t win in Bud Walton. The team was definitely out of sync. 

• Like 2

Think he’s talking about Aden’s good game vs Baylor.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Aden hasn’t shot a lot the past couple of games. He was just trying to over compensate down the stretch when we were down. He hasn’t  been pressing as much as I thought he would for a guy in a shooting slump. He’s such a good shooter I wish he could take some mid range shots.

Yeah he should stop settling for 3's. It's ok to take a few steps and pop up for a 2. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Think he’s talking about Aden’s good game vs Baylor.

Dudes were not going to go under on those handoffs forever, but it’s on both the player AND the staff to understand the adjustment has been made. I trust the coaches will show that tape to him 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Dudes were not going to go under on those handoffs forever, but it’s on both the player AND the staff to understand the adjustment has been made. I trust the coaches will show that tape to him 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Majority of this team are upperclassmen with a lot of them having been to the NCAA tournament. Not buying it. Play better/smarter ball and coach better. That's what it boils down to. They shouldn't be getting rattled by playing App State on the road. And you've got veterans on the team like J Will who just lacked any semblance of emotion while he was out there. Even Cardwell, which is uncharacteristic. 

Also Thanks @GwillMac6 for posting these!

Edited by GTNupe11
  • Like 2

Auburn: 3/27 (11.1%) from 3, 9/19 on FTs

App St: 8/17 (47.1%) from 3, 17/23 on FTs

We shot 47% on FTs today.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AUHAT said:

Practice your free shots little man. 😆 

It must be in the air.

my son went 0-6 from the line last night. Lol

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, Golden Eagle said:

It was not fun to watch.  Coaches and players need to do better.  Bama has taken the lead in basketball as well as football. 

Bama just lost at home this week…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

It was not fun to watch.  Coaches and players need to do better.  Bama has taken the lead in basketball as well as football. 

Bama and AU are really even. Just both playing bad ball. 

Perhaps this was our "New Mexico State" game before we play Indiana and begin the SEC schedule. It is not surprising for a young AU team to look past an App St team on a Sunday afternoon for an away game in Boone NC. I'm not sure how you even get there from Auburn.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/auburn-basketball-app-state-score-update-2023-tigers-222189668/

"Pearl equated the trip to Boone to a low-level SEC road game the Tigers might see later in the season.

In that regard, Auburn's response was lacking, and Pearl said he noticed a few of his players get rattled by a raucous crowd — and a game that saw the Tigers get put on their heels often.

'We had a couple of guys that were a little shell-shocked and they struggled," Pearl said. "And that's fine; that's why you have to play the game. You have to learn from it and grow from it. I thought the attitude on the bench — they were encouraging one another. You have to make plays when you're in the game offensive and defensively. It rattles your confidence a little bit. ... We had some guys get rattled, for sure."

This is why you play this game btw. Auburn is obviously an incredible home team, but I feel like we have had slightly more volatility on the road historically (e.g. we play worse) than our top tier SEC peers because of some reasons I don't want to get into bc the post would be even more long winded. That being said it's important Bruce knows if he's dealing with those same issues again this year, and it's good that they tried to face a test early. 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/auburn-basketball-app-state-score-update-2023-tigers-222189668/

"Pearl equated the trip to Boone to a low-level SEC road game the Tigers might see later in the season.

In that regard, Auburn's response was lacking, and Pearl said he noticed a few of his players get rattled by a raucous crowd — and a game that saw the Tigers get put on their heels often.

'We had a couple of guys that were a little shell-shocked and they struggled," Pearl said. "And that's fine; that's why you have to play the game. You have to learn from it and grow from it. I thought the attitude on the bench — they were encouraging one another. You have to make plays when you're in the game offensive and defensively. It rattles your confidence a little bit. ... We had some guys get rattled, for sure."

This is why you play this game btw. Auburn is obviously an incredible home team, but I feel like we have had slightly more volatility on the road historically (e.g. we play worse) than our top tier SEC peers because of some reasons I don't want to get into bc the post would be even more long winded. That being said it's important Bruce knows if he's dealing with those same issues again this year, and it's good that they tried to face a test early. 

lol what!? Bro that’s college basketball in a nutshell! Of all the major sports the home team win rate is the highest! It’s very hard to beat average teams on the road. Let alone good ones. See Arkansas for reference! They were playing terribly lately but they got Duke at home and it made all the difference in the world. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol what!? Bro that’s college basketball in a nutshell! Of all the major sports the home team win rate is the highest! It’s very hard to beat average teams on the road. Let alone good ones. See Arkansas for reference! They were playing terribly lately but they got Duke at home and it made all the difference in the world. 

I understand that. I'm just saying that, to me at least, we generally play worse than our SEC peers on the road. We also generally play better at home than them, so that's where the idea of volatility comes in at

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I understand that. I'm just saying that, to me at least, we generally play worse than our SEC peers on the road. We also generally play better at home than them, so that's where the idea of volatility comes in at

Does it? Or are you just so hyper focused with AU it seems that way? I thought last year was our best road showing in my lifetime for AU bball. We had no blowouts besides kentucky.  Now we didn’t close a lot of them but they all were close that I can remember. Even in our title years we had some real dooooozy of blowouts.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1