Auburn dealing with ‘run of sickness’

aubiefifty

Auburn football dealing with ‘run of sickness’ ahead of Music City Bowl

Updated: Dec. 27, 2023, 2:45 p.m.|Published: Dec. 27, 2023, 2:44 p.m.
2–3 minutes

Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne missed all but one of Auburn’s Music City Bowl practices on campus before the team broke for Christmas because he had the flu, he said while speaking to reporters Wednesday in Nashville.

Auburn arrived in Nashville on Tuesday and Thorne’s availability came at Vanderbilt’s practice field before the team’s first on-site practice there.

Thorne said he feels good ahead of the Music City Bowl set for 1 p.m. Saturday at Nissan Stadium in Nashville. Thorne practiced Wednesday after not being seen on the field during a media viewing window last week.

But head coach Hugh Freeze said Thorne’s flu symptoms are part of a bit of a bug running through the team ahead of the game against Maryland.

“Yeah, we’ve had a run of sickness,” Freeze said Wednesday. “We actually left two guys at the hotel today, too. We had a run, last week, of guys missing practice with flu-like symptoms. (Thorne) seems to be feeling good, but it’s really good to let him get outside and hopefully get him today and tomorrow. I haven’t seen the weather for tomorrow, but this is a good day for him to have a good practice, for sure, because he did miss — shoot — last week, I think every day but one.”

Freeze did not state which players were still feeling sick or who dealt with sickness other than Thorne.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

My daughter had flu/ pneumonia. Pharmacies are running out of inhalers in my area. Not serious illness but you probably won’t play football until you get over it. 

TV news shows have been warning of a triple whammy hitting the South. The newest COVID variant, Respiratory virus (RSV) and the flu. The threat is real, and in total much worse than in previous years. The best plans are to get your shots or hibernate.

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

TV news shows have been warning of a triple whammy hitting the South. The newest COVID variant, Respiratory virus (RSV) and the flu. The threat is real, and in total much worse than in previous years. The best plans are to get your shots or hibernate.

i went to my doc in the box to get my meds updated. the place was slammed so hard they were parking in the grass as they ran out of parking spots. the nurse said what you did as covid and flu is making a ton of people sick as a dog.