1.3.24 Football Articles

247sports.com

Auburn gets sneak preview of young safeties in bowl work

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

Auburn's young safeties got some valuable experience in Nashville.

With both Jaylin Simpson and Zion Puckett done at Auburn, the safety position is going to look much different for the Tigers following the loss of two of the most experienced players on the roster. Coach Ron Roberts and assistant Zac Etheridge got a sneak preview of what life is going to be like without them in the bowl loss to Maryland on Saturday, and while there were some struggles early, the group played well as they turned the page to 2024.

A true sophomore, Caleb Wooden was one of the bright spots of the day for the Tigers with a caused fumble and an interception. It was also the first opportunity for the coaching staff to get a long look at true freshmen such as Terrance Love and Sylvester Smith.

Playing in 10 games this season, mostly on special teams, Love made six total tackles as he learned the ropes from the older guys in the room. Getting his shot against the Terps, Love showed his ability to get downhill. It’s something that Roberts said is a strength of the big defensive back from Langston Hughes High in Fairburn, Georgia.

“I think T. Love is a talented football player,” Roberts said. “He'll strike and run and all those things. He'll come and get you. I think he's a very talented football player, and he's a smart football player. Kind of got caught there early behind some older guys, and he didn't get his opportunity, as much reps as he probably should have got.”

Playing in five games this season, Smith showed his versatility throughout the season. After working mostly as a nickel when he arrived on campus, the Munford native transitioned to his natural position of safety later in the season. Roberts said they needed him to be able to do both this season and he showed that he’s going to be a building block in the secondary down the road.

“Sylvester kind of played -- he's probably the next one when you're looking at the free safety spot,” Roberts said. “Really for necessity for us this year, he came in and played the star position, the nickel, and did that as a role. That was his best pick coming in with the young guys, how was he going to get in that three spot and get a chance to go learn and compete.

“We moved him back the first time we went to some bowl practices, and he's really showed tremendous range and all that. I think these practices are going to help him tremendously get ready to go. But he will strike you, and he will run. He's going to be a really good football player.”

Auburn also has another true freshman, C.J. Johnson, that will be in the mix for the safety position when the Tigers get back on the field for spring practices. The coaches also got a look at early enrollee Kaleb Harris from Thompson, who was on campus and in Nashville for bowl practices. In addition, junior college signee Laquan Robinson and athletic Kensley Faustin add to what should be a talented, but inexperienced group next year.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn announces changes to football staff

Taylor Jones

2–3 minutes

The first major shakeup of the 2023 offseason has officially taken place.

Before Auburn’s TransPerfect Music City Bowl loss to Maryland on Saturday, it was announced that former Colorado defensive coordinator and Auburn alum Charles Kelly would join the staff as a co-defensive coordinator.

Sunday, it was reported by TexAgs that Auburn secondary coach Wesley McGriff is expected to take on a defensive role on Mike Elko’s staff at Texas A&M, thus paving the way for Kelly to replace him.

Kelly joins Auburn’s staff after building a successful track record at Alabama. Tennessee, Florida State, and Georgia Tech. Before joining Deion Sanders’ initial staff at Colorado in 2023, Kelly served as the assistant defensive coordinator and safeties coach at Alabama for four seasons. During that time, Kelly worked with several great athletes such as DeMarcco Hellams, Brian Branch, Jordan Battle, and Xavier McKinney. He was also a part of the 2020 staff that led Alabama to a College Football Playoff National Championship in 2020.

Kelly is also known as an avid recruiter. According to 247Sports, Kelly was responsible for being the head recruiter for nine five-star recruits during his coaching career. Several recruits he has worked with in the past include Caleb Downs, Will Anderson, Isaiah Bond, and Aaron Beasley.

McGriff departs Auburn after completing his third stint as a defensive assistant coach. He was responsible for being the secondary recruiter for recent Auburn signees such as Amon Lane-Ganus, Kensley Faustin, Jayln Crawford, and Kayin Lee.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

si.com

Auburn QB Hank Brown says reps vs Maryland were 'nothing new'

Lance Dawe
3–4 minutes

Auburn freshman quarterback Hank Brown balled out for the final quarter of the Tigers' loss to Maryland.

Auburn freshman quarterback Hank Brown balled out for the final quarter of the Tigers' loss to Maryland.

The contest was disappointing overall, but Brown's passing in the fourth quarter gave some Tiger fans something to look forward to heading into the offseason.

There may be another quarterback battle on our hands.

Brown, a third-stringer heading into the Music City Bowl, was a former three-star prospect in the 2023 cycle. He was fourth-string before Robby Ashford entered the portal a few weeks ago. For him to have come into the bowl game, knocked down a few explosive plays, lead one of Auburn's two touchdown drives, all while looking extremely confident?

It was impressive.

Brown was asked about being prepared for the moment once he was put out there.

"I mean, that had to be something that was kind of like, okay, these coaches have prepared me," Brown said. "The prep has prepared me for this moment. I know what to look for and I know what to do." 

The moment was was different from practice, but it didn't shake Brown. In fact, Brown says the pacing wasn't anything new. Nothing felt too fast.

"Yeah, you know, it was definitely a little bit of a difference, but I think I was totally prepared for that, you know," Brown said. "Playing scout team this year, going against number one defense the entire year, you know, I'm used to it now. It's nothing new. The game didn't feel fast out there. You know, it felt like I was playing at the speed that the game was going. And, you know, so I felt I was prepared and it wasn't fast at all. Felt totally confident out there."

Brown finished the game 7-of-9 passing for 132 yards. It was a nice mix of deep, intermediate, and checkdowns. He didn't seem phased. Brown just went out and executed.

"Yeah, so there were a few plays in there where they were cover four, cover three, dropping back deep, went through my progression, and knew where my check down was so I could just drop it down to him," Brown said. "And, you know, Jeremiah Cobb's a very special player, and he got some good yards for me."

If Brown is able to impress during spring practice, there's a chance the Tigers could turn to him as the starter to begin the 2024 season. Hugh Freeze did say the competition was "wide open," after all.

• Like 1

al.com

Auburn running back, kick returner Brian Battie expected to transfer, per reports

Updated: Jan. 01, 2024, 3:27 p.m.|Published: Jan. 01, 2024, 3:25 p.m.

2–3 minutes

Auburn running back Brian Battie (21) carries the ball against Samford during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

After just one season on The Plains, Auburn running back Brian Battie has entered his name into the transfer portal, according to multiple reports.

Matt Zenitz and Chris Hummer of 247 Sports were the first to report the news Monday afternoon.

Battie appeared in each of Auburn’s 13 games in 2023, rushing for 227 yards and touchdown on 51 carries. Battie, a junior of out Sarasota, Fla., added another 645 yards off kick returns as he returned 28 kicks for the Tigers this season.

Battie’s biggest game in terms of yardage came on Sept. 23 against Texas A&M as he rushed for 59 yards on eight carries. His lone touchdown of the season came on Nov. 11 against Arkansas.

Before coming to The Plains, Battie spent three seasons with at USF, where he tallied more than 1,400 kick return yards, including 650 yards and three kick return touchdowns in 2021 – earning him all-American honors that same year.

From the backfield, Battie amassed 1,842 career yards and 10 touchdowns through three seasons with the Bulls.

With Monday’s news, Battie is expected to become the 13th Auburn player to look for greener pastures and will benefit from recent legislation which allows college football players to transfer more than once and not have to sit out a season.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Auburn gets commitment from class of ‘26 wide receiver Denairius Gray

Published: Jan. 01, 2024, 5:16 p.m.

~2 minutes

Hugh Freeze walks off field after the Tiger lose 31-13 to Maryland

Auburn received a second commitment for its 2026 recruiting class as wide receiver Denairius Gray made his pledge Monday.

Gray is listed as a four-star recruit and the 90th overall player in the class of 2026 by Rivals, one of the major recruiting rankings websites. None of the other major rankings have him rated yet.

During his freshman and sophomore years at Chaminade-Madonna College Preparatory School in Hollywood, Florida, Gray totaled 1,124 receiving yards and 25 touchdowns.

It is the same high school that produced multiple NFL wide receivers including current Arizona Cardinal and former first-round pick Marquise “Hollywood” Brown.

Gray joins offensive lineman Kail Ellis in Auburn’s 2026 class.

Auburn does not currently have any wide receivers in his 2025 class after landing an elite 2024 group including five-star signees Perry Thompson and Cam Coleman.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

saturdaydownsouth.com

Zion Puckett decides on Auburn future after playing in Music City Bowl

Andrew Olson | 1 day ago

~3 minutes

Zion Puckett has played his final snaps as an Auburn Tiger.

Puckett announced Monday on social media that he is declaring for the 2024 NFL Draft. He recently completed Year 5 of his college football career. He had the option of returning for a sixth season with the NCAA’s COVID-19 waiver.

While Puckett logged 2 tackles in the bowl game, he has ultimately decided to move on and go pro. He shared a lengthy note in a social media post thanking the Auburn Family.

“I deeply appreciate God for giving me the strength to serve and honor Him through the platform of football,” Puckett wrote to open his farewell note. “It is with unwavering faith that I embark on this journey, acknowledging that my abilities are gifts to be utilized in His service.

“I extend my appreciation to my family for their constant love, my friends for their encouragement, my coaches for their mentorship, and my teammates for the shared victories and challenges. As I step into the next chapter, I carry the lessons and blessings from each of you, ready to embrace the opportunities that lie ahead.

“I express sincere appreciation to the Auburn University family for providing me with the opportunity of a lifetime. Auburn will always hold a special place in my heart as I embark on this new chapter, and I am grateful for the foundation it has laid for my future endeavors. with that being said, I will be declaring for the 2024 NFL Draft. War Damn Eagle!”

Puckett joined Auburn in 2019, taking a redshirt his first year as a 4-game participant. He became a multi-year starter at safety, recording 148 tackles with 6.5 TFLs in his 5-year career. Puckett had his best season in coverage in 2023, logging 4 passes defended with his first 2 interceptions.

Andrew Olson

Andrew is a News Manager for XLMedia's Saturday Football brands. Follow on Twitter.

247sports.com

PMARSHONAU Phillips Tuesday morning musings

Phillip Marshall

6–8 minutes

Thorne endures needless insults

Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne had a rough day in Auburn’s 31-13 loss to Maryland on Saturday in the Music City Bowl, but he does not deserve the insults, some of them personal, hurled in his direction. I guess that’s the way things are now,  and that’s unfortunate.

Thorne battled the flu before the game and only had three days of practice. He only practiced once before Auburn left for Nashville. Maryland stacked the box, and Auburn receivers could not get open. That is a bad combination. Thorne took a serious beating.

Auburn coach Hugh Freeze said after the game there will be a real quarterback race in the spring, and that’s OK. Thorne certainly needs to improve. He can’t be throwing interceptions straight to defensive backs.

Thorne played much better the second half of the season, after the quarterback shuffle ended, than he did the first half of the season. What happened Saturday doesn’t change that.

I have no idea what Thorne might be like after a full spring practice and offseason. I have no idea how much difference it will make if Freeze, as expected, takes full control of play-calling.

Will Thorne win the job? I don’t know. He has it to do. I believe he is the favorite, but that decision will be made on the practice field. Frustrated fans won’t have a vote.

Truth about Freeze’s first Auburn team

The truth about Freeze’s first Auburn team is that, at its best, it was good enough to fight Georgia and Alabama to the bitter end. But not at its best, it could lose to New Mexico State and Maryland.

What causes that? A talent and depth shortage. Really good teams have enough to play less than their best and still win. Auburn wasn’t there this season. It will be closer next season.

I am convinced next season’s team will be significantly better. What will that translate to against a brutal schedule? I’m nowhere close to making that prediction.

Dramatic, but not pretty

Alabama’s 27-20 overtime loss to Michigan in a College Football Playoff semifinal Monday was certainly dramatic. With a botched extra point, two muffed punts, some crucial penalties and a missed field goal, Michigan dug itself a hole. But the Wolverines drove to the tying touchdown in the waning seconds and won it in overtime.

Alabama didn’t always help itself either. Two bad snaps ended a promising drive. On the final play of overtime, quarterback Jalen Milroe had to catch the snap inches off the ground before running straight ahead and being swarmed by the Michigan defense.

It was a long, hard day for Milroe. He was sacked six times. He didn’t have enough time to throw deep balls, which is what he does best. He lost a fumble with Alabama on the move.

Michigan is better than I thought it was. Quarterback J.J. McCarthy outplayed Milroe and was the game’s MVP. The defense was really impressive.

Alabama looked more like the team that struggled in September and later could have/should have lost at Auburn than like a team that had won 11 consecutive games.

Harbaugh's and Saban’s futures

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh was asked after the game remaining Michigan’s coach was in his future. He laughed and said his future was taking a joyful flight back to Ann Arbor. In other words, he didn’t answer.

Nobody asked Alabama’s Nick Saban about swirling rumors that he could be headed toward retirement. When he has been asked, he also hasn’t answered.

I have no clue what either of them will do, but it will be worth watching in the weeks ahead.

Penix shines as Washington hangs on

Washington quarterback Michael Penix was on fire in a 37-31 victory over Texas in the other semifinal, but the Longhorns drove to the 12-yard line as time melted away. On the final play of the game, the Huskies knocked away a pass to escape.

Regardless, Penix is something to watch. He passed for 430 yards as Washington moved on to play Michigan for the national championship. Amazingly, the last 10 Washington games have been decided by 10 points or less.

Washington will have a clear advantage over Michigan on offense. And Michigan will have a clear advantage on defense. It should be fun to watch.

Are any of the playoff teams great?

I saw some great plays and some great players in Saturday’s playoff games. I’m not sure I saw a great team. I don’t know that there are any great teams, at least not great in terms of what we have seen in recent years.

Alabama doesn’t have close to the same kinds of weapons at wide receiver that it had in the past. Its defense is good but not overpowering. Michigan isn’t going to light up the scoreboard. Washington’s defense is suspect. Texas is terrific on the line of scrimmage but significantly less than that in the secondary.

But none of that really matters. Both Saturday games were decided on the final play. And those are the kinds of games everybody should want.

A new era of college football draws closer

After next Monday’s championship game, we move on to the 12-team playoff. Oklahoma and Texas will next play as members of the SEC. Washington, Oregon, USC and UCLA will play in the Big Ten. It will be a new era of college football. Stanford and Cal, will become members of the ACC.

It’s going to be strange, for sure. Better? We will see.

Quick thoughts

--Based on what I have heard from Auburn fans the last few weeks, Michigan must have been poorly coached because it muffed two punts. One led to Alabama’s first touchdown and another was at the 1-yard line. Same for Washington, which muffed one that set up a Texas touchdown. The truth is that sometimes players make mistakes, even when they have been prepared to not make those mistakes. It happens in college football. It happens in the NFL.

--If I had to vote for the best team in the country based on the so-called “eye test,” I would vote for Georgia.

--Kudos to Bo Nix for playing in the Fiesta Bowl when he didn’t have to, and for setting an FBS record for completion percentage.

--Saban on the final play: “The fact that it didn’t work makes it a real bad call.” He was right. The difference in a good call or a gutsy call and bad call is whether it works or not.

--Six SEC teams – Alabama, Georgia, Missouri, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee finished the season with eight or more wins. All those teams except Alabama won their bowl games. Kentucky and Texas A&M were 7-5 and Auburn was 6-6. All three of those teams lost.

Starts at Seven central

Thank you Fifty for these articles all year & Happy New Year to you.

Is anybody else on this forum tired of McGriff leaving for a few years & then coming back to AU and not staying very long?  I don't know any other coaches that has done this to us.

I wish he would decide to stay here for an extended period of time when offered, or just move on for good.

Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. But does he annoy anybody else when he does this?

41 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Thank you Fifty for these articles all year & Happy New Year to you.

Is anybody else on this forum tired of McGriff leaving for a few years & then coming back to AU and not staying very long?  I don't know any other coaches that has done this to us.

I wish he would decide to stay here for an extended period of time when offered, or just move on for good.

Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. But does he annoy anybody else when he does this?

Annoying yes, but would like to understand the drivers. It was a given he was not staying for an off the field role.