2.8.24 Football Articles

Auburn Football

Reports: Auburn to elevate Vontrell King-Williams to defensive line coach

Published: Feb. 07, 2024, 4:19 p.m.

AUBURN, AL - March 01, 2023 - Auburn Defensive Analyst Vontrell King-Williams during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Declan GreeneAuburn University Athletics

Subscribers can gift articles to anyone

By

Ainslie Lee | alee@al.com

It seems it didn’t take long for Hugh Freeze to land on who Auburn’s next defensive line coach would be be after reports that Jeremy Garrett would be hired away by the Jacksonville Jaguars surfaced on Feb. 2.

Five days later, it appears Freeze will be promoting from inside the program, elevating Vontrell King-Williams from defensive analyst to defensive line coach. Brian Stultz of Auburn Rivals’ was first to report King-Williams’ promotion Wednesday afternoon.

The promotion of King-Williams comes after he spent the 2023 season under Garrett at Auburn.

Prior to last fall, King-Williams coached at Eastern Michigan, primarily focusing on defensive tackles. Before that, King-Williams worked as a graduate assistant under Freeze at Liberty during the 2020 and 2021 seasons — again primarily focusing on the defensive line.

With King-Williams now in the fold as Auburn’s defensive line coach, barring any changes, Auburn’s new-look defensive staff appears set for the 2024 season and will feature new faces in defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin, co-defensive coordinator Charles Kelly. Returning to Auburn’s defensive staff is linebackers coach Josh Aldridge, secondary coach Wesley McGriff and the now-elevated King-Williams.

Former Auburn defensive lineman Marcus Harris took kindly to Wednesday’s news, endorsing King-Williams’ promotion in a post to X, the social platform formerly known as Twitter.

In addition to his stops at Auburn, Eastern Michigan and Liberty, King-Williams also spent the 2017 season as a defensive line intern at his alma mater, the University of Texas at San Antonio.

A native of Chicago, King-Williams started his playing career at the University of Illinois, where he spent the 2012 and 2013 seasons before heading to Butler Community College for one year. King-Williams finished his playing days at UTSA, where he appeared in 25 games and tallied 17 tackles across two seasons of action.

247sports.com

Auburn lands commitment from TE Hollis Davidson

Christian Clemente

2–3 minutes

Fresh off his visit for Junior Day, Auburn has landed a commitment from tight end Hollis Davidson.

The 6-foot-5, 238-pound Georgia native is commitment No. 8 for Auburn in the cycle and commitment No. 2 for Ben Aigamaua at the tight end position. Davidson is ranked as the No. 369 player, No. 21 tight end and No. 42 player from Georgia in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings.

Davidson visited Auburn in the fall for a game and was back Saturday. His grandparents and great-grandparents on his mom’s side all attended and graduated from Auburn.

"Man, it was great. The facilities down here are amazing, the weather was great it was cool outside," Davidson said after Junior Day. "Everybody was showing love, I got to be here with Ryan (Ghea) — he’s one of my boys and he’s committed here. I enjoyed the day. Coach Ben (Aigamaua), Coach Logan (Bradley) everybody was showing a lot of love and it was amazing.”

With Auburn set to lose three tight ends to graduation after the 2024 season, Davidson is the second of what’s set to be a three-man class at the position in the 2025 recruiting cycle.

Aigamaua’s relentless recruiting effort was a key in Davidson’s early commitment, despite Miami, Penn State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Cincinnati all being involved. As was tight ends assistant coach Logan Bradley.

"They’re great. I really like how Ben is a family man," Davidson said. "He wants to take me under his wing if I come here and he gets along with my family really well. Coach Logan, I actually met him today he was showing me around everywhere and he seems really awesome.”

Davidson's father played volleyball at Penn State and his aunt was an All-American volleyball player for the Nittany Lions before coaching at Notre Dame.

As a junior for McIntosh, Davidson caught 30 passes for 436 yards and three touchdowns.

i will check back in later for any football updates.