Can we make enough shots to beat UT?

Big game tonight so lets take a look at a couple of our losses against high powered offenses and see whats up. 

Vs Alabama on the road we held them 12pts below their season average. That is a huge accomplishment by our defense, but our offense put up 7 points under our average. We only shot 20% from three. Vs. Florida on the road we held them nearly 5 points below their season average, but only shot 17.5% from three. Vs Kentucky at home we held them 18 below their season average, but shot 18.2% from three. Oh and we shot 11% from three vs App St  and 25% from three and only 33% from the field vs Ms. State. The only game where we played well offensively and lost was the first game of the year where we gave up 88 to Baylor losing 82-88. 

So, can we make enough shots to beat UT? Auburn averages 80 pts a game in away games and UT averages 82 pts a game at home this season. Not as big a differential as I expected to find when I went looking. We are very similar to UT across statistical categories.  The two areas that have gotten us beat are poor shooting and rebounding. If we can shot close to our averages and win on the glass I think we can get this one. An area to watch that is interesting is that UT gives up more free throws per game than they take. They still make more than their opponents, but this one may come down to the charity stripe. 

That puts our guards as the focus point.  Has Holloway turned a corner after a mid season adjustment? Can Jones make us a few shots? Will the Donaldson that was so clutch in tough games at the end of last season re-emerge? 

Not knowing the status of J. Williams, our guards will have to get the ball to Broome, Chaney and Cardwell in favorable spots to score. Can CBM pick up the scoring slack again. A lot of interesting things to watch tonight. Not the least of which will be how do we guard UT. Do we go big with Broome and Cardwell together or can Chaney hold up? A win in this game is huge for the SEC race, but it is also huge for our tourney resume. It is a seed changer type win. A loss doesn't effect seeding much, but pretty much puts us out of the SEC race. 

• Like 3

I doubt the guards really have much offensive impact tbh, at least not on ball. I remember Mayshack had Sears in a box. Zeigler has been a tier 1 guard defender in conference for longer than Aden has been alive (hyperbolic). 

And there’s Auburn people who have reported this, but part of the purpose of having CBM initiate so much last game is so to alleviate the fact that our guys have just been getting killed against top level POA defenders. It was a good change up. Tenn SHOULD be able to play in man more than UGA did and allow less CBM penetration though. We got a ton of butt naked open kick out 3s that I don’t truly think will be there in abundance. 

Knecht isn’t the best defender ever, but he’s a better body for our wings than I think UGA had, so that’s definitely going to affect that penetration as well.

All in all, I think it’s a game where Broome, Chaney, CBM, whoever are going to have to really set the tone around the rim and force Tenn to send help, if we’re going to get the point guards involved. I literally just can’t see a way they positively self-create against the high end defenders Tenn has. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

We could win by 20 or lose by 20.  Who knows.

Respectfully Auburn isn’t winning by 2o. Hopefully they can withstand the initial surge from the home team. Knecht is going to be a problem Adou or however u special his name will be an issue at the rim on the defensive side. Hopefully the refs let them play and this doesn’t turn into a whistle fest. If Auburn play composed they have a real chance . Just can’t let Tennessee speed them up into taking bad shots.

36 minutes ago, fishepa said:

We could win by 20 or lose by 20.  Who knows.

Lose by 20 or win by single digits is probably more realistic. Going to have to play good, smart basketball to get out of Knoxville with a W. 

• Like 1

I have a good feeling about this one. Which means we’re probably going to get obliterated. 

• Like 1

We should have won there last year. I think both teams are better this year. It will take a very strong performance by Auburn to win though. A positive is that we have played well vs the Vols in recent years.

10 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I have a good feeling about this one. Which means we’re probably going to get obliterated. 

A TRUE long time fan!    😆🤣

34 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

We should have won there last year. I think both teams are better this year. It will take a very strong performance by Auburn to win though. A positive is that we have played well vs the Vols in recent years.

I think the one thing about that team is that it had a pretty steady expectation. Like it knew how it was going to win a game, and it had a defense that was good enough to keep it within spitting distance, even with how putrid the offense was. With likely no Jaylin and a shorter rotation (there’s no way these dudes don’t play Berman and possibly others off the court), I don’t expect the defense to be all that. 

Tl;dr I don’t feel as confident in this current team’s style to play steadily in Knoxville, like last year’s did. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

I don’t feel good at all about this one but I’m also wrong a lot so we cancel each other out. 

Edited by BustemBigBlue

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think the one thing about that team is that it had a pretty steady expectation. Like it knew how it was going to win a game, and it had a defense that was good enough to keep it within spitting distance, even with how putrid the offense was. With likely no Jaylin and a shorter rotation (there’s no way these dudes don’t play Berman and possibly others off the court), I don’t expect the defense to be all that. 

Tl;dr I don’t feel as confident in this current team’s style to play steadily in Knoxville, like last year’s did. 

Turned out you were on to something. We made enough shots, but didn't get enough stops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Knecht by himself outscored our entire team in the 2nd half 

Lies!   Auburn scored 44 or in the second half.   To me the difference in the game was Ziegler.   Auburn let him get way too many uncontested shots off.  I thought Jones played off him way too much.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Lies!   Auburn scored 44 or in the second half.   To me the difference in the game was Ziegler.   Auburn let him get way too many uncontested shots off.  I thought Jones played off him way too much.   

Way too much cushion

25 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I'm sorry, the last 12 minutes I believe

Knecht absolutely was the difference. Dude was on unconscious in the second half. CBM was in that man’s jersey. Great defense but better offense. Zeigler hit some shots but it was Knecht going off that was the difference 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

Turned out you were on to something. We made enough shots, but didn't get enough stops.

We honestly played a lot better than I expected, and had solid defense on the non-Knechters. We just don’t have a body that really matches well with a guy of that build and skill set. Thankfully, he’s pretty much as good a traditional small forward as they come 

5 hours ago, e808 said:

Knecht absolutely was the difference. Dude was on unconscious in the second half. CBM was in that man’s jersey. Great defense but better offense. Zeigler hit some shots but it was Knecht going off that was the difference 

I agree with the TV color announcer…Knecht will be the #1 NBA pick. The NBA is all about making 3’s and that dude gets just as hot as Klay Thompson’s hottest games. In fact, he has a similar quick trigger and shooting stroke as Thompson. I can see him eventually leading the NBA in made 3’s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Klay has dropped 60 in 29 minutes. If Knecht can match that then he's a future hall of famer.

If his teammates had fed him in the 1st half as much as he was fed the 2nd half, Knecht might have had 60 in 33 minutes.