Bo Jackson Is Being Accused Of Making Up Legendary Story

secrant.com

Larry Leo

~3 minutes

by

March 21, 202443 Comments

Bo Jackson shared an incredible story during last night's exhibition between the Los Angeles Angels and Kansas City Royals. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be true...

quote:
"I took strike three right down the pipe, and he called me out," Jackson said. "I turned around and gave him a few choice words and he said, 'You're outta here.' I said, 'Thank you.' I went to the locker room - didn't even shower. I put my clothes on, got in my Corvette and went to the hospital."

Jackson then said that was the only ejection of his career.

"Blame it on my daughter. The things we do for our women."

While that story only adds to the legend of Bo Jackson, it turns out there are a lot of flaws with it. Best-selling author Jeff Pearlman revealed that Jackson didn't actually play in a game on July 21, 1990.

quote:
"Bo's daughter Morgan was born on July 21, 1990. Bo says, on that day, he was deliberately tossed from the Royals game against Milwaukee. So, here's the box from that afternoon's Royals game," Pearlman wrote. "You'll notice they didn't play Milwaukee, and that Bo wasn't in the lineup. And maybe you're thinking, 'See! He got thrown out.' Well, nope. Three days earlier, Jackson hurt his shoulder while trying to snare a Deion Sanders line drive at Yankee Stadium."

(The Spun)

I seem to remember Lyle mouton doing the same thing.

225Tyga did it as well back in the day

Joey and Bo had a little HR Challenge. Neither hit the top and same with Lyle and Grisham, they had some ‘one hoppers’ hit the married housing complex.

So the truth isn’t important huh?

Not in 35 year old anecdotal stories. He's not testifying. He's telling a funny old story, which inherently have inaccuracies. They are often the combination of multiple stories. It's harmless.

"Three days earlier, Jackson hurt his shoulder while trying to snare a Deion Sanders line drive at Yankee Stadium." They did research it, Bo had 0 plate appearances on july 20, 1990... based on 8 seconds worth of googling.

This is what I was thinking. That something similar happened, and he ended up conflating the two stories. Brains are funny things. If you keep telling yourself something, you will eventually believe it happened.

As far as who cares? Sports fans? Idk.

He was at best a mediocre baseball player. He was a decent RB.

Career .250 hitter. 8.3 WAR. But so many people claim he's some sort of goat.

No he was a very good running back

On 3/23/2024 at 12:18 PM, aubiefifty said:

secrant.com

Larry Leo

~3 minutes

by

March 21, 202443 Comments

Bo Jackson shared an incredible story during last night's exhibition between the Los Angeles Angels and Kansas City Royals. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be true...

quote:
"I took strike three right down the pipe, and he called me out," Jackson said. "I turned around and gave him a few choice words and he said, 'You're outta here.' I said, 'Thank you.' I went to the locker room - didn't even shower. I put my clothes on, got in my Corvette and went to the hospital."

Jackson then said that was the only ejection of his career.

"Blame it on my daughter. The things we do for our women."

While that story only adds to the legend of Bo Jackson, it turns out there are a lot of flaws with it. Best-selling author Jeff Pearlman revealed that Jackson didn't actually play in a game on July 21, 1990.

quote:
"Bo's daughter Morgan was born on July 21, 1990. Bo says, on that day, he was deliberately tossed from the Royals game against Milwaukee. So, here's the box from that afternoon's Royals game," Pearlman wrote. "You'll notice they didn't play Milwaukee, and that Bo wasn't in the lineup. And maybe you're thinking, 'See! He got thrown out.' Well, nope. Three days earlier, Jackson hurt his shoulder while trying to snare a Deion Sanders line drive at Yankee Stadium."

(The Spun)

I seem to remember Lyle mouton doing the same thing.

225Tyga did it as well back in the day

Joey and Bo had a little HR Challenge. Neither hit the top and same with Lyle and Grisham, they had some ‘one hoppers’ hit the married housing complex.

So the truth isn’t important huh?

Not in 35 year old anecdotal stories. He's not testifying. He's telling a funny old story, which inherently have inaccuracies. They are often the combination of multiple stories. It's harmless.

"Three days earlier, Jackson hurt his shoulder while trying to snare a Deion Sanders line drive at Yankee Stadium." They did research it, Bo had 0 plate appearances on july 20, 1990... based on 8 seconds worth of googling.

This is what I was thinking. That something similar happened, and he ended up conflating the two stories. Brains are funny things. If you keep telling yourself something, you will eventually believe it happened.

As far as who cares? Sports fans? Idk.

He was at best a mediocre baseball player. He was a decent RB.

Career .250 hitter. 8.3 WAR. But so many people claim he's some sort of goat.

No he was a very good running back

For a mediocre baseball player ( I didn’t know those players became All Stars), he sure does have a lot of highlights that some longer tenured players wouldn’t come close to in either league. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, gr82be said:

For a mediocre baseball player ( I didn’t know those players became All Stars), he sure does have a lot of highlights that some longer tenured players wouldn’t come close to in either league. 

Exactly! Had Bo not been injured there's no telling what all he would have accomplished in baseball.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

Smells of click bait … things like this make me hate the ease at which people can be a “journalist”.  The worst “bad” journalist are in the sports media.