Georgia Court of Appeals agrees to hear Trump appeal of motion to disqualify Fulton DA

Apparently, there are a couple of Appeals Court judges that want some of the spotlight for themselves.  When dealing with people in the legal profession, that should never surprise anyone.  The decision to hear the appeal is grounded either in that or a desire to expand on current precedent, which isn't their job.  I dislike Fanni Willis as much as anyone, but the case is valid and the crimes are real.  The fact that so many people have no problem placing one very flawed man's desire to maintain power ahead of our elected form of government is pathetic.  The same people would have demanded that other Presidents be tried for treason for much less.

https://georgiarecorder.com/2024/05/08/georgia-appeals-court-to-review-decision-allowing-da-willis-to-prosecute-trump-case/

• Like 2

Why would she not testify?

Is she above the law?

When people talk about having money getting you better legal outcomes, part of what they mean by that is having the ability to pay lawyers to flood the court system with endless appeals, motions, delays, etc. Whereas people without money are highly encouraged to take plea deals/plead guilty unless they want to bankrupt themselves on legal fees, the ones with money can pay for a whole team of lawyers to go over every single detail of the case with a fine tooth comb multiple times and delay, delay, delay to try and gain an advantage over the prosecution. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Why would she not testify?

Is she above the law?

They aren't the law.  They have no power to do anything but put on a circus and embarrass her more.   She is a constitutional officer, elected by the voters of Fulton County.  I don't even like her, but I can understand pushing back on any subpoena.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

When people talk about having money getting you better legal outcomes, part of what they mean by that is having the ability to pay lawyers to flood the court system with endless appeals, motions, delays, etc. Whereas people without money are highly encouraged to take plea deals/plead guilty unless they want to bankrupt themselves on legal fees, the ones with money can pay for a whole team of lawyers to go over every single detail of the case with a fine tooth comb multiple times and delay, delay, delay to try and gain an advantage over the prosecution. 

And, like in this case, when the facts aren't on your side, find unrelated things to scream and yell about.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

And, like in this case, when the facts aren't on your side, find unrelated things to scream and yell about.

That’s how you make your money isn’t it?

40 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

So what you are saying is if you have money you can seek justice and if you don’t you get intimidated into taking a plea deal, am I correct?  There were several people who took plea deals in Fani’s case just for this reason.  It is why a lot of Dem run cities have no bail.  Can you have it both ways?  Or does justice only apply to conservatives?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

So what you are saying is if you have money you can seek justice and if you don’t you get intimidated into taking a plea deal, am I correct?  There were several people who took plea deals in Fani’s case just for this reason.  It is why a lot of Dem run cities have no bail.  Can you have it both ways?  Or does justice only apply to conservatives?

Every prosecutor in the country. Red or Blue, Liberal or Conservative, pressures the people they're going against into taking plea deals. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Every prosecutor in the country. Red or Blue, Liberal or Conservative, pressures the people their going against into taking plea deals. 

Correct, it is part of the game.  Court appointed lawyers have a tendency to take the plea deal (those without funds) while the ones with funds tend to find lawyers that will defend them with vigor.  Trump has funds and his lawyers have made Fani the focal point.  He also has made Jack Smith admit he planted evidence at Mar a Logo.  If a defendant has funds and you go after them, you better have a good case and don’t try to lie to the court.

22 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Correct, it is part of the game.  Court appointed lawyers have a tendency to take the plea deal (those without funds) while the ones with funds tend to find lawyers that will defend them with vigor.  Trump has funds and his lawyers have made Fani the focal point.  He also has made Jack Smith admit he planted evidence at Mar a Logo.  If a defendant has funds and you go after them, you better have a good case and don’t try to lie to the court.

Jack Smith has not admitted to planting any evidence anywhere.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Well, not in the real world. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Tomato Tamato;

Special counsel Jack Smith’s team acknowledged Friday that some evidence in the prosecution of former President Donald Trump for hoarding classified documents at his Florida home may not be in the same sequence FBI agents found it when they swept into the Mar-a-Lago compound with a search warrant in August 2022.

The concession from prosecutors in a court filing Friday afternoon came after attorneys for one of Trump’s co-defendants asked for a delay in the case because the defense lawyers were having trouble determining precisely where particular documents had come from in the 33 boxes the FBI seized almost two years ago.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/03/mar-a-lago-trump-classified-documents-00156124

Trumps lawyers v Jack Smith.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Tomato Tamato;

Special counsel Jack Smith’s team acknowledged Friday that some evidence in the prosecution of former President Donald Trump for hoarding classified documents at his Florida home may not be in the same sequence FBI agents found it when they swept into the Mar-a-Lago compound with a search warrant in August 2022.

The concession from prosecutors in a court filing Friday afternoon came after attorneys for one of Trump’s co-defendants asked for a delay in the case because the defense lawyers were having trouble determining precisely where particular documents had come from in the 33 boxes the FBI seized almost two years ago.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/03/mar-a-lago-trump-classified-documents-00156124

Trumps lawyers v Jack Smith.

"Prosecutors say despite the reordering, each box still contains precisely the same material it had in it when it was seized."

• Like 1

Just now, Leftfield said:

"Prosecutors say despite the reordering, each box still contains precisely the same material it had in it when it was seized."

Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of the former president, has accused Special Counsel Jack Smith of having "tampered" with evidence in the classified documents case.

In a post on X, formerly Twitter, Trump Jr. accused the federal prosecutor of mishandling classified materials after Smith's office admitted to Judge Aileen Cannon that boxes of evidence the FBI retrieved from Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in August 2022 are no longer in their "original, intact" form.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-jr-jack-smith-evidence-tampered-classified-documents-1898278

Eye of the beholder.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of the former president, has accused Special Counsel Jack Smith of having "tampered" with evidence in the classified documents case.

In a post on X, formerly Twitter, Trump Jr. accused the federal prosecutor of mishandling classified materials after Smith's office admitted to Judge Aileen Cannon that boxes of evidence the FBI retrieved from Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in August 2022 are no longer in their "original, intact" form.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-jr-jack-smith-evidence-tampered-classified-documents-1898278

Eye of the beholder.

Contents out of order vs planting evidence.

That's not eye of the beholder. That's making s**t up. The only way you can confuse them is if you don't speak English.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leftfield said:

Contents out of order vs planting evidence.

That's not eye of the beholder. That's making s**t up. The only way you can confuse them is if you don't speak English.

Jack Smith, in Startling Filing in Trump Mar-a-Lago Case, Admits To Misleading Judge and Altering Order of Secret Documents

The special counsel, in a possible boon to Trump, admits to misleading the courts to whether the Mar-a-Lago documents were kept in their original order.

https://www.nysun.com/article/inconsistent-jack-smith-admits-to-misleading-judge-and-altered-order-of-secret-documents-in-trump-case

Call it what you will, the case has been postponed indefinitely.  Win for the Trump legal team.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Call it what you will, the case has been postponed indefinitely.  Win for the Trump legal team.

Yes it is, but that's not what you said originally. This is the way you often operate....state something false, then when called on it you make another claim that's correct but has nothing to do with your original point and act like you were right all along. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Yes it is, but that's not what you said originally. This is the way you often operate....state something false, then when called on it you make another claim that's correct but has nothing to do with your original point and act like you were right all along. 

You can continue to be butt hurt about it and I will continue to relish in the pain.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

You can continue to be butt hurt about it and I will continue to relish in the pain.

Apparently you can also continue to delude yourself if you think I'm "butthurt."

Not a surprise you relish posting what you do...ignorance is truly bilss.

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2024 at 1:41 PM, I_M4_AU said:

That’s how you make your money isn’t it?

Not me personally, but many do yes.  I actually like Steve Sadow, Trump's lead counsel.  Fanni Willis opened the door wide for them with her actions.  The day they filed for a hearing to disqualify, or before, she should have had Nathan Wade withdraw from the case.  Instead, she has attempted to make something about race that has nothing to do with race.  That doesn't diminish the seriousness of the underlying acts that were undertaken by the former President and his gang of malcontents.  I don't want them all thrown in jail, but I do believe that there needs to be some acknowledgment that their actions were anti-American and went against everything our system of government stands for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Jack Smith, in Startling Filing in Trump Mar-a-Lago Case, Admits To Misleading Judge and Altering Order of Secret Documents

The special counsel, in a possible boon to Trump, admits to misleading the courts to whether the Mar-a-Lago documents were kept in their original order.

https://www.nysun.com/article/inconsistent-jack-smith-admits-to-misleading-judge-and-altered-order-of-secret-documents-in-trump-case

If Trump was to be elected, what do you think he will do?  He will declassify every document in question and remove any chance of consequences.   Biden could have done that, but he chose not to.  Instead, he cooperated with the government.  Just think about that.  You support the man that wants to use the power of his office to help himself in any way he can and the system be damned.

38 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

If Trump was to be elected, what do you think he will do? 

This case disappears after the election.  If he is elected his DOJ will not continue that witch hunt, if Biden is re-elected what would be the point?

Biden stole the documents when he was not allowed to have them for the purpose of writing a book to make money.  When he got caught, yeah he cooperated, but the ghost writer already had access to the pertinent parts of the documents that Biden felt it was alright to had them back.  Think about that.

You support a man that wants to use the power of his office to help himself and you know the rest.  They aren’t that different are they?

54 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Not me personally, but many do yes.  I actually like Steve Sadow, Trump's lead counsel.  Fanni Willis opened the door wide for them with her actions.  The day they filed for a hearing to disqualify, or before, she should have had Nathan Wade withdraw from the case.  Instead, she has attempted to make something about race that has nothing to do with race.  That doesn't diminish the seriousness of the underlying acts that were undertaken by the former President and his gang of malcontents.  I don't want them all thrown in jail, but I do believe that there needs to be some acknowledgment that their actions were anti-American and went against everything our system of government stands for.

Do you think this case will survive even after the election?

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you think this case will survive even after the election?

That depends.  It will certainly survive if the Fulton County DA's office is not removed.  If the Ga Supreme Ct (that is where this will end up) removes Willis and sends it to the newly established Prosecutorial Committee to be assigned to another DA, the case will just sit there and die.  That is what is happening with the current Georgia Lt Governor's indictment for the same charges.  That committee is chaired by Pete Skandalakis.  I know Pete and I have no doubt that he will find a way to be a good soldier and make most Republicans happy.  The only thing in his way may be the governor and a challenge to the constitutionality of the committee itself.

If Trump wins and Willis is not removed, I believe that she will try the other defendants and get verdicts in those cases, while waiting to put Trump on trial after he leaves office.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This case disappears after the election.  If he is elected his DOJ will not continue that witch hunt, if Biden is re-elected what would be the point?

Biden stole the documents when he was not allowed to have them for the purpose of writing a book to make money.  When he got caught, yeah he cooperated, but the ghost writer already had access to the pertinent parts of the documents that Biden felt it was alright to had them back.  Think about that.

You support a man that wants to use the power of his office to help himself and you know the rest.  They aren’t that different are they?

If Biden had insulated himself, like Trump has stated he will do, you all would have gone nuts over it.  You don't hold them to any measure of the same standard.

• Like 1