Props to Prothro

DKW 86

The bottom line is, one player was making a play on the ball, and the other was  caught with his back turned to the ball.  He had no chance for the interception, therefore no offensive pass interference.  Great LEGAL catch.

180496[/snapback]

The bottom line is a player in a Crimson jersey committed the offense therefore it was not called. The refs looked the other way because it was Bama just as they always do.

180499[/snapback]

:lol::lol: ........oh wait....you're serious!?!?!? :blink::o:no::no:

180503[/snapback]

Yep,

That’s the second part of a 150 year conspiracy to let Bama get away with interference calls.

:rolleyes:

Great catch but it wasn't a TD as the bammers were crying about at the game.  Knee was down before he rolled in.   :)

180313[/snapback]

The replay on the jumbotron was a bad angle, and it looked like he rolled on top of the dude into the end zone.

180321[/snapback]

One of the greatest catches I have ever seen, great concentration and hands.

Like AuNuma1 says it was not a TD. Watch the video, at 0:44 you will see that he has possession of the ball and his left knee is down at the ~3yrd line. Both he and the DB slide a yard or two and then topple into the endzone. Wonderful catch definately, TD no. Would not have mattered, I think Bama would have punched it in either way.

180450[/snapback]

Actually, they reviewed it via instant replay...and placed it on the two. We had to punch it in with a pass from brodie to leron.

I hate Alabama as much as anybody, but that was a damn great catch. Yeah, Tyrone gave the guy a little push before the ball got there, but nothing that isn't done all the time. Anyway, that catch was unbelieveable whether you want to split hair over the rule or not. It burns me up to say it, but its true.

It was pass interference.  Prothro was pushing before the ball got there and went through the defender to get it.  Had a USM receiver made the same catch it would have drawn a flag.  Bama cheats.

180492[/snapback]

chill out. if courtney taylor had made that catch you know you wouldn't being making this argument. you sound like a bammer.

Great catch but it wasn't a TD as the bammers were crying about at the game.  Knee was down before he rolled in.   :)

180313[/snapback]

The replay on the jumbotron was a bad angle, and it looked like he rolled on top of the dude into the end zone.

180321[/snapback]

One of the greatest catches I have ever seen, great concentration and hands.

Like AuNuma1 says it was not a TD. Watch the video, at 0:44 you will see that he has possession of the ball and his left knee is down at the ~3yrd line. Both he and the DB slide a yard or two and then topple into the endzone. Wonderful catch definately, TD no. Would not have mattered, I think Bama would have punched it in either way.

180450[/snapback]

Actually, they reviewed it via instant replay...and placed it on the two. We had to punch it in with a pass from brodie to leron.

180521[/snapback]

Didn't know that being that I didn't see the game. If that is the case then the refs made a correct call all the way around. I didn't see interfernce on either side of the ball. A little hand contact is acceptable by todays standards. Had the DB been going for the ball and Prothro come over his back before the ball got there, then yes it would have been offensive interference, but that wasn't the case.

The only question I have is why was a flag thrown and then picked up? The only thing I can think is that they might have thrown it on Prothro, then realized the DB was not going for the ball.

Catch of the year so far!

I quoted the rules out of the official rule book verbatim. If you can find "the DB has to be making a play for the ball for offensive pass interfence to be called" anywhere in the rules please, by all means, point it out to me.

Contact Interference

Article 9.g. Each player has territorial rights, and incidental contact is ruled under “attempt to reach... the pass” in Rule 7-3-8. If opponents who are beyond the line collide while moving toward the pass, a foul by one or both players is indicated only if intent to impede the opponent is obvious.

The wr was "attempting to reach the pass", the db was not. How could it be anything other than incidental contact if Prothro made no intent to keep the db from catching it? Prothro was attempting to reach the pass, the DB had his back turned to the ball. How could it be offensive pass interference if the DB was not making a play for the ball? His back was turned, and he was not making a play on the ball.

Even if the entire stadium is booing because the replay on the jumbotron clearly shows the cheatin' tide OL tackling his man to protect St Brodie and Spurrier is furiously throwing his visor down in anger, a holding call cannot be called on the replay by the officials

This is the real reason for this post isn't it. You don't want a debate, you want to call the tide cheaters. Here's your "pat on the back"....

It was pass interference. Prothro was pushing before the ball got there and went through the defender to get it. Had a USM receiver made the same catch it would have drawn a flag. Bama cheats.

Great job! :thumbsup:

The bottom line is, one player was making a play on the ball, and the other was caught with his back turned to the ball. He had no chance for the interception, therefore no offensive pass interference. Great LEGAL catch.

180496[/snapback]

Gosh...I hate to agree with a Bamar. Great legal catch....

:au::homer:

It was pass interference.  Prothro was pushing before the ball got there and went through the defender to get it.  Had a USM receiver made the same catch it would have drawn a flag.  Bama cheats.

180492[/snapback]

chill out. if courtney taylor had made that catch you know you wouldn't being making this argument. you sound like a bammer.

180526[/snapback]

Bingo.

ESPN selected Prothro's catch as the 4th best play of the week.

180637[/snapback]

What the hell? What three plays were better than that? Did some guy kick a 75 yard field goal? Break 16 tackles during a 100 yard run for a TD with no time on the clock to win the game? Geez. I'm no Bama fan, but I watched a lot of football and a lot of Sportscenter and don't remember seeing another play that even came close.

The bottom line is, one player was making a play on the ball, and the other was  caught with his back turned to the ball.  He had no chance for the interception, therefore no offensive pass interference.  Great LEGAL catch.

180496[/snapback]

The bottom line is a player in a Crimson jersey committed the offense therefore it was not called. The refs looked the other way because it was Bama just as they always do.

180499[/snapback]

It sure is great to get such great calls. Either way you slice it, TP caught that ball and it was legal.

180637[/snapback]

What the hell? What three plays were better than that? Did some guy kick a 75 yard field goal? Break 16 tackles during a 100 yard run for a TD with no time on the clock to win the game? Geez. I'm no Bama fan, but I watched a lot of football and a lot of Sportscenter and don't remember seeing another play that even came close.

180642[/snapback]

It was the #1 PLAY of the week. But the things ahead of him were: a win at us open, the LSU "Game" picking up the fans, and the MLB taking up donations...

180637[/snapback]

180642[/snapback]

It was the #1 PLAY of the week. But the things ahead of him were: a win at us open, the LSU "Game" picking up the fans, and the MLB taking up donations...

180695[/snapback]

Ok. I was thinking that someone at ESPN left the cap off the glue a little too long.

180492[/snapback]

180526[/snapback]

Bingo.

180635[/snapback]

Just like if a southern miss receiver would have made the catch bama would be crying PI. :poke: sorry could help it, I will say GREAT CATCH by prothro the concentration and arm strength in that little guy was amazing :thumbsup:

180492[/snapback]

180526[/snapback]

Bingo.

180635[/snapback]

Just like if a southern miss receiver would have made the catch bama would be crying PI. :poke: sorry could help it, I will say GREAT CATCH by prothro the concentration and arm strength in that little guy was amazing :thumbsup:

180703[/snapback]

I say great catch...but you gotta give that a "bingo" also. B)

WDE :au:

... The only question I have is why was a flag thrown and then picked up?    The only thing I can think is that they might have thrown it on Prothro, then realized the DB was not going for the ball.

Catch of the year so far!

180617[/snapback]

Exactly. I wondered what penalty(s) they were considereing. Pass interfence? Personal foul? Apparently, it's perfectly legal for a WR to tackle the DB covering him as long as the pass is caught. Had that been one of our big WRs --say 6-5, 238-lbs Anthony Mix going through the neck of the USM DB instead of the Oompah-Loompah-sized Protho, we might have witnessed an actual decapitation out there. Oh, well ... great "catch." :rolleyes:

Archived