Props to Prothro

DKW 86

Guest Tigrinum Major

That was an amazing display of concentration and then sheer determination to hang on to the ball. That was the turning point in the game when USM had everything going their way. That took the wind right out of their sails.

Strange how :ua: always finds that tiny squirt of a player that gives everyone fits. I think it started with David Palmer... now they have Prothro. What was the other little dudes (RB) name they had the last few years.... ???

That simply has to be the greatest catch... other than Frank Sanders catch in the Iron Bowl.... that I have ever seen. Congrats to the squirt. By the way, didn't he catch a long pass against us last year? They do seem to come up with a water bug every so often.

I think it was offensive pass interference, Prothro was off-sides on the play, he had enough stick em' on his hands to make George Brett jealous, Logan Young bought his daddy a double-wide and he's been academically ineligible for the past two seasons. I'll come up with a few more later.

Oh, and it was a pretty good catch too. :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major
I think it was offensive pass interference, Prothro was off-sides on the play, he had enough stick em' on his hands to make George Brett jealous, Logan Young bought his daddy a double-wide and he's been academically ineligible for the past two seasons.  I'll come up with a few more later.

Oh, and it was a pretty good catch too. :big:

180288[/snapback]

I don't know if you were serious about the PI, esquire. Knowing you, I doubt it B) , but a friend of mine brought that up to me this morning. I disagreed. He was playing the ball all the way, didn't make excessive contact until he had his hands on the ball and then the effort after that just to hang on, good grief!

On a side note, I thought both instances of instant replay were handled well. I know they both went against the tide, but they were correct.

i played high school football with prothro and he was constantly making those type of plays. in 2001 he ran back 8 punt/kickoffs for touchdowns... in the playoffs alone. that still has to be the best play i have ever seen him make.

Great catch but it wasn't a TD as the bammers were crying about at the game.  Knee was down before he rolled in.  :)

180313[/snapback]

The replay on the jumbotron was a bad angle, and it looked like he rolled on top of the dude into the end zone.

He is my homie, from Heflin. Both of my kids know him and his family well. He still comes to the Heflin (Cleburne County HS) games whenever he can...and his brother and sister still go there. I enjoyed watching him on Friday nights...and I wish he'd made it to AU. Oh well...can't have everything...wish him all the best...except against us. B)

:au::homer:

Strange how  :ua: always finds that tiny squirt of a player that gives everyone fits.  I think it started with David Palmer... now they have Prothro.  What was the other little dudes (RB) name they had the last few years....  ???

180266[/snapback]

Shaud Williams?

I have never seen such arm strength by a little guy in my life, the catch of the year so far..... awesome catch with the DB trying to look back for the ball hehehehe.

Great catch but it wasn't a TD as the bammers were crying about at the game.  Knee was down before he rolled in.   :)

180313[/snapback]

The replay on the jumbotron was a bad angle, and it looked like he rolled on top of the dude into the end zone.

180321[/snapback]

One of the greatest catches I have ever seen, great concentration and hands.

Like AuNuma1 says it was not a TD. Watch the video, at 0:44 you will see that he has possession of the ball and his left knee is down at the ~3yrd line. Both he and the DB slide a yard or two and then topple into the endzone. Wonderful catch definately, TD no. Would not have mattered, I think Bama would have punched it in either way.

Strange how  :ua: always finds that tiny squirt of a player that gives everyone fits.  I think it started with David Palmer... now they have Prothro.  What was the other little dudes (RB) name they had the last few years....  ???

180266[/snapback]

Shaud Williams?

180397[/snapback]

Freddy Milons

Fantastic catch. Question: was there interference on the play and by whom? I did see a flag thrown & the announcers were talking about defensive pass interference. After consultation, the officials picked up their flags and no foul was called. I looked up the rules from the offical NCAA site:

Rule 7. Snapping and Passing the Ball

SECTION 3. Forward Pass

Illegal Contact and Pass Interference

ARTICLE 8.a. During a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone, illegal contact by Team A and Team B players is prohibited from the time the ball is snapped until it is touched by any player or an official. (A.R. 7-3-8-II and III.)

b. Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone is contact that interferes with a Team B eligible player. It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents. {emphasis added by me}

c. Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible player is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity to receive a catchable forward pass. When in question a legal forward pass is catchable.

Contact Interference

Article 9.g. Each player has territorial rights, and incidental contact is ruled under “attempt to reach... the pass” in Rule 7-3-8. If opponents who are beyond the line collide while moving toward the pass, a foul by one or both players is indicated only if intent to impede the opponent is obvious.

The reason I ask is that the video clip shows Protho going through the USM DB to make the catch. Contact had to be intiated by Protho before he made this reception, agreed? Is he entitled to do this? I'm asking because I honestly don't know, & the rules seem to indicate he isn't. Turn the situation around: would a DB be entitled to make a catch through a receiver in a similar fashion? I think not -- the initial contact before the pass interception would be illegal.

After reviewing this video clip and looking the rules up, I believe Prothro was guilty of offensive PI. The catch just flabbergasted everyone who witnessed it (including the officials) and they missed the call, This is very similar to the Peach Bowl incident with Karlos Dansby legally batting the ball forward for Dontarious Thomas to intercept -- if you remember the refs missed that call too because Dansby was (incorrectly) flagged for making a forward pass.

Fantastic catch.  Question:  was there interference on the play and by whom?  I did see a flag thrown & the announcers were talking about defensive pass interference.  After consultation, the officials picked up their flags and no foul was called.  I looked up the rules from the offical NCAA site: 

Rule 7.  Snapping and Passing the Ball

SECTION 3.  Forward Pass

Illegal Contact and Pass Interference

ARTICLE 8.a.  During a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone, illegal contact by Team A and Team B players is prohibited from the time the ball is snapped until it is touched by any player or an official.  (A.R. 7-3-8-II and III.) 

b. Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone is contact that interferes with a Team B eligible player.  It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents. {emphasis added by me}

c. Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible player is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity to receive a catchable forward pass.  When in question a legal forward pass is catchable. 

Contact Interference

Article 9.g.  Each player has territorial rights, and incidental contact is ruled under “attempt to reach... the pass†in Rule 7-3-8.  If opponents who are beyond the line collide while moving toward the pass, a foul by one or both players is indicated only if intent to impede the opponent is obvious.

The reason I ask is that the video clip shows Protho going through the USM DB to make the catch.  Contact had to be intiated by Protho before he made this reception, agreed?  Is he entitled to do this?  I'm asking because I honestly don't know, & the rules seem to indicate he isn't.  Turn the situation around:  would a DB be entitled to make a catch through a receiver in a similar fashion?  I think not -- the initial contact before the pass interception would be illegal. 

After reviewing this video clip and looking the rules up, I believe Prothro was guilty of offensive PI.  The catch just flabbergasted everyone who witnessed it (including the officials) and they missed the call,  This is very similar to the Peach Bowl incident with Karlos Dansby legally batting the ball forward for Dontarious Thomas to intercept -- if you remember the refs missed that call too because Dansby was (incorrectly) flagged for making a forward pass.

180463[/snapback]

After watching the clip more than a few times, the DB never looked back to find the ball, which is why is was caught BEHIND his head. I thought the DB had to be making a play for the ball for offensive pass interference to be called.

If it was indeed offensive pass interference, not only did the officials "miss" the call in live action, but they missed it while reviewing it. The announcers missed it while watching and reviewing it, and ESPN who LOVES to point out missed calls missed it also, while nominating it for "game changing play of the day".

I'm guessing it was just a great catch, and nothing else.

After watching the clip more than a few times, the DB never looked back to find the ball, which is why is was caught BEHIND his head.  I thought the DB had to be making a play for the ball for offensive pass interference to be called.

I quoted the rules out of the official rule book verbatim. If you can find "the DB has to be making a play for the ball for offensive pass interfence to be called" anywhere in the rules please, by all means, point it out to me.

If it was indeed offensive pass interference, not only did the officials "miss" the call in live action, but they missed it while reviewing it.  The announcers missed it while watching and reviewing it, and ESPN who LOVES to point out missed calls missed it also, while nominating it for "game changing play of the day".

A flag was thrown -- for what I don't know. To my knowlege, the officials never indicated for which infraction the flag was thrown. The announcers just started talking about defensive interference immediately. That doesn't mean it was. (If you've watched any football before, you know the announcers are never 100% accurate. Fooling the announcers and/or ESPN doesn't seem to be that much of a stretch.)

The rules also state that judgement calls are not eligible for review by instant replay. To give you another prime example -- one that you can easily understand: suppose one of uat's interior OL is blatantly guilty of holding on a TD pass play next weekend in Columbia, SC. Even if the entire stadium is booing because the replay on the jumbotron clearly shows the cheatin' tide OL tackling his man to protect St Brodie and Spurrier is furiously throwing his visor down in anger, a holding call cannot be called on the replay by the officials. Holding is an official's judgement call -- just as is PI.

I'm guessing it was just a great catch, and nothing else.

180467[/snapback]

It WAS a great catch -- I said as much up front. That's not the issue. Read the rules on PI (more than once for you touchy uat fans) & watch the video clip again. The question remains: was it legal? Ask yourself this hypothetical: would a DB be able to make a similar interception by wrapping his arms around the neck of a WR to catch a pass thrown behind the receiver?

Any football officials on this forum? P-colatiger, we haven't heard from you lately. Where you at on this one?

It was pass interference. Prothro was pushing before the ball got there and went through the defender to get it. Had a USM receiver made the same catch it would have drawn a flag. Bama cheats.

I quoted the rules out of the official rule book verbatim. If you can find "the DB has to be making a play for the ball for offensive pass interfence to be called" anywhere in the rules please, by all means, point it out to me.

Contact Interference

Article 9.g. Each player has territorial rights, and incidental contact is ruled under “attempt to reach... the pass†in Rule 7-3-8. If opponents who are beyond the line collide while moving toward the pass, a foul by one or both players is indicated only if intent to impede the opponent is obvious.

The wr was "attempting to reach the pass", the db was not. How could it be anything other than incidental contact if Prothro made no intent to keep the db from catching it? Prothro was attempting to reach the pass, the DB had his back turned to the ball. How could it be offensive pass interference if the DB was not making a play for the ball? His back was turned, and he was not making a play on the ball.

Even if the entire stadium is booing because the replay on the jumbotron clearly shows the cheatin' tide OL tackling his man to protect St Brodie and Spurrier is furiously throwing his visor down in anger, a holding call cannot be called on the replay by the officials

This is the real reason for this post isn't it. You don't want a debate, you want to call the tide cheaters. Here's your "pat on the back"....

It was pass interference. Prothro was pushing before the ball got there and went through the defender to get it. Had a USM receiver made the same catch it would have drawn a flag. Bama cheats.

Great job! :thumbsup:

The bottom line is, one player was making a play on the ball, and the other was caught with his back turned to the ball. He had no chance for the interception, therefore no offensive pass interference. Great LEGAL catch.

The bottom line is, one player was making a play on the ball, and the other was  caught with his back turned to the ball.  He had no chance for the interception, therefore no offensive pass interference.  Great LEGAL catch.

180496[/snapback]

The bottom line is a player in a Crimson jersey committed the offense therefore it was not called. The refs looked the other way because it was Bama just as they always do.

The bottom line is, one player was making a play on the ball, and the other was  caught with his back turned to the ball.  He had no chance for the interception, therefore no offensive pass interference.  Great LEGAL catch.

180496[/snapback]

The bottom line is a player in a Crimson jersey committed the offense therefore it was not called. The refs looked the other way because it was Bama just as they always do.

180499[/snapback]

:lol::lol: ........oh wait....you're serious!?!?!? :blink::o:no::no:

It is obvious that you know it is true or else you would just shrug it off and move on. The rules back up the fact that Prothro should have been flagged; you have no argument. You are merely suffering from a guilty conscience. Other than the ignored call by the refs it was a great bit of concentration by Prothro.

Archived