rivalry game?

auwallace

You know, I bet most fans think that this is a HUGE rivalry but they just dont want to admit it ....... :lol:

Your gonna find alot of Auburn fans agreeing that this Lsu vs Auburn game has turned into something that is almost as heated, but not quite, as the Alabama game.

Actually, I get more nervous and anxious around the LSU game than the Georgia game.........Georgia is a team that I really dont hate too much. Probably like that one poster above mentioned, its just West competition.

If you don't hate Georgia, just go back to 1986 when they came into town, beat us, vandalised the campus, and were doused with high pressure firehose water. I'm sure there were many other heated games like that. But that's the one I remember. I was there. That was my freshman year. Those b*****ds. :uga::shoot:

UGA and UAT are our rivals, if we were 0-10 and could win one game it would be bama, next choice is UGA. LSU over the past few years has been extremely important but it doesn't have the historical significance that UGA and UAT have, therefore it is not a true rival. I could see where it could be a personal rival for some fans who have connections to LA, but for the rest of us it isn't as important as the other two.

I look at tha AU game as our biggest rival..... And I agree with vatz, that LSU is a much bigger rival to AU than some fans like to admit. Just about all my AU buddies care more about the LSU game over the UGA game. Again these are just a few AU fans but its obviuos the LSU game carries much more weight.

I think a lot of the older AU fans don't see it as a rival because they are not used to it....but the younger people who have just started following football seriuosly during the last 10yrs probably have a much different attitude towards the game. To me its amazing how big this game has gotten over the last 5yrs.

... LSU over the past few years has been extremely important but it doesn't have the historical significance that UGA and UAT have, therefore it is not a true rival.  ...

190759[/snapback]

That is not logic, it's merely your opinion. Historical significance is a relative thing. The LSU-AU game has developed into a bone fide RIVALRY since the SEC expanded into two divisions. The same could be said for the UF-UT game -- they weren't big RIVALS until after 1992. The road back to Atlanta (for AU) goes through Baton Rouge. Also, the road back to Atlanta (for LSU) goes through the defending SEC Champions. The class teams of the SEC West are AU & LSU.

P.S. I don't consider uat in this discussion because afterall, uat = :om: (props to GalensGhost. :thumbsup: )

... LSU over the past few years has been extremely important but it doesn't have the historical significance that UGA and UAT have, therefore it is not a true rival.  ...

190759[/snapback]

That is not logic, it's merely your opinion. Historical significance is a relative thing. The LSU-AU game has developed into a bone fide RIVALRY since the SEC expanded into two divisions. The same could be said for the UF-UT game -- they weren't big RIVALS until after 1992. The road back to Atlanta (for AU) goes through Baton Rouge. Also, the road back to Atlanta (for LSU) goes through the defending SEC Champions. The class teams of the SEC West are AU & LSU.

P.S. I don't consider uat in this discussion because afterall, uat = :om: (props to GalensGhost. :thumbsup: )

190767[/snapback]

Good point.

A rivalry doesn't have to exist for 50yrs to be considered a RIVALRY...... Anyone who says that LSU/AU has not developed into a strong rivalry over the past 6-7 years is not paying very much attention.

A rivalry doesn't have to exist for 50yrs to be considered a RIVALRY...... Anyone who says that LSU/AU has not developed into a strong rivalry over the past 6-7 years is not paying very much attention.
That is not logic, it's merely your opinion. Historical significance is a relative thing. The LSU-AU game has developed into a bone fide RIVALRY since the SEC expanded into two divisions.

these also are opinions, the LSU game may turn out to be a rivalry(i will agree it is well on its way), but until it stands the test of time, i will not consider it on the level of UGA and UAT. Look i'm not downplaying the significance over the past couple of years I just think the term rivalry is thrown around too loosely.

I posted a poll concerning this, just to get a feel for the general opinion of the board. I really could care less if AU thinks of us as a rival or not. I do know that AU is one of LSU's biggest rival.....no not historically, but for the past 6-7 years its been by far the biggest!!!

i'm gonna tick off some LSU fans and say that this isn't a rivalry game for us.  It seems to be much more important to LSU fans than to us War Eagles.  But look at their true rivals, not much competition.  We've got the Iron Bowl (greatest in state rivalry period) and the UGA game, the Deep souths oldest rivalry (much more tradition in our court).  While this game has great significance due to the prominence of both programs at the moment i don't see it as a rivalry for AU, just some wacky games with some bad blood here and there.  Why does LSU hate us so much?

190623[/snapback]

There is no such thing as "War Eagles". It is Tigers. Always has been, always will be. This is not to flame at you, but just get the basics of your teams traditions correct. We are the Auburn TIGERS. Not Plainsmen, not War Eagles, not Lady Tigers, just TIGERS.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program. :au:

i'm a lot like geaux. i think this is a rivalry. i think it's higher on the list for lsu fans. i'm really shocked how fast this game has escalated. the only thing i disagree about is that this game is not bigger than georgia. i'm a younger fan (23) and i still put more weight on sweeping amen corner.

i'm a lot like geaux. i think this is a rivalry. i think it's higher on the list for lsu fans. i'm really shocked how fast this game has escalated. the only thing i disagree about is that this game is not bigger than georgia. i'm a younger fan (23) and i still put more weight on sweeping amen corner.

190840[/snapback]

Good for you. It is really good to see that the "younger" generation of AU Tigers still understands the importance of the Georgia and uat games. While the yearly spankfest with lsWHO has become a "Big" game on the schedule each year, to call it a "Rivalry" is a bit, in my humble opinion, premature.

p.s. Amen Corner, Those were the DAYS! :au::cheer:

As a younger fan (relatively), I can say that I see LSU as a big rival. The first :ut: game I ever saw was in '97, and I got into AU football in the 90's when :uf: wasn't so much a rivalry game as it was a one-sided beatdown. ( :thumbsdown: Steve Spurrier :angry: ) Compared to that, LSU is becoming a hated rival for us. Although I will say that it's only really heated up in the last few years. I think it might get even bigger (and possibly nastier) in the next few.

And no, it will never be as big as those last two games on the schedule. Especially not this year with :uga: and :ua: both unbeaten and top-5. You might think the corndogs are big rivals in October, but you'll forget about that when November rolls around again. Those two games alone are always well worth the year-long wait.

i'm gonna tick off some LSU fans and say that this isn't a rivalry game for us.  It seems to be much more important to LSU fans than to us War Eagles.  But look at their true rivals, not much competition.  We've got the Iron Bowl (greatest in state rivalry period) and the UGA game, the Deep souths oldest rivalry (much more tradition in our court).  While this game has great significance due to the prominence of both programs at the moment i don't see it as a rivalry for AU, just some wacky games with some bad blood here and there.  Why does LSU hate us so much?

190623[/snapback]

There is no such thing as "War Eagles". It is Tigers. Always has been, always will be. This is not to flame at you, but just get the basics of your teams traditions correct. We are the Auburn TIGERS. Not Plainsmen, not War Eagles, not Lady Tigers, just TIGERS.

190811[/snapback]

i realise that, i graduated from auburn and i am attending grad school right now, i know we are the tigers, trust me i'm not as dumb as you think i am.

And no, it will never be as big as those last two games on the schedule.  Especially not this year with  :uga: and  :ua: both unbeaten and top-5.  You might think the corndogs are big rivals in October, but you'll forget about that when November rolls around again.  Those two games alone are always well worth the year-long wait.

190852[/snapback]

LSU can be our mid season big rival, and after another victory this year LSU will really want our head. :lol:

190623[/snapback]

190811[/snapback]

i realise that, i graduated from auburn and i am attending grad school right now, i know we are the tigers, trust me i'm not as dumb as you think i am.

190907[/snapback]

Noone said you were dumb. By the way, there is a "Z" in realize, not an "S".

Noone said you were dumb. By the way, there is a "Z" in realize, not an "S".

Unless he's British. Let's see if he is...

I say, auwallace, fancy a pint down the pub?

If you answered 'why yes, my good man', jolly good then, your grammar is spot-on!

:D

Archived