rivalry game?

auwallace

i'm gonna tick off some LSU fans and say that this isn't a rivalry game for us. It seems to be much more important to LSU fans than to us War Eagles. But look at their true rivals, not much competition. We've got the Iron Bowl (greatest in state rivalry period) and the UGA game, the Deep souths oldest rivalry (much more tradition in our court). While this game has great significance due to the prominence of both programs at the moment i don't see it as a rivalry for AU, just some wacky games with some bad blood here and there. Why does LSU hate us so much?

much more tradition in our court

...your kidding, right?? You think AU has more tradition than LSU?? Maybe your rivalry with GA runs deeper than any rivalry we have with you guys....but more tradition....cmon....yall cant even pin down an official mascot! Which is it, war eagles or tigers???

much more tradition in our court

...your kidding, right?? You think AU has more tradition than LSU?? Maybe your rivalry with GA runs deeper than any rivalry we have with you guys....but more tradition....cmon....yall cant even pin down an official mascot! Which is it, war eagles or tigers???

190624[/snapback]

whoa now, easy with the corny "who's your mascot joke" never heard that before , i wasn't questioning LSU's tradition, you should be very proud of the accomplishments of the team (trust me we're envious that you guys got a shot at the title and we didn't), i was saying that we have a much greater tradition when it comes to rivalries thats all.

I know....I know.....and believe me, we are "Super-envious" of that whole mascot-challenge thing....Our problem is we're just too damn focused on FOOTBALL! Lucky for your mascot, yall dont have that problem!

maybe thats why we have two ;) So one can concentrate on football and the other can be in some stupid made for tv mascot beauty contest. And all this time i thougth we had two cause we're awesome

I actually think its a huge rivalry. Anytime two SEC powers come together, its a rivalry. You don't need the exchange of some dumb trophy to consider a football game a rivalry. Look at AU/UAT, AU/UGA, AU/LSU, LSU/UT, LSU/UF, UGA/UF, UT/UF, etc. That's the great thing about the SEC, you have multiple rivalry games per year.

I don't understand why some AU fans try to ruffle the feathers of LSU by saying we're not a real rival. Most times AU and LSU meet, a great game is guaranteed. If that's not enough, the SEC West is up for grabs as well. Call it a rivalry or call it just another game, but its a game I eagerly look forward to every year and gladly yell my butt off to support AU.

i think it's a rivalry. if we were sweet on each other like all the teams in the big ten, we'd have an ax or a bucket or a boot or some other crap to exchange. since we play in the sec, we just knock the hell out of each other and win games (the best team in the nation came out of this game the last two years).

only thing i'd like to correct is the statement that we're jealous of lsu's mythical title. i don't give two craps who gets to play in the BcS title game. i said it before, and i'll say it again, i would rather be perfect than have to look outside for accolades. no one can ever dispute us from last year, but lsu (and any other one loss team) has to accept that they could have made their title undisputed if they'd done all they could do. better to be perfect than lucky.

being perfect didn't get us a national title, and since winning a national title is a pretty big reason why they play college football i don't see anything wrong with wishing we had a shot at the title. LSU didn't get lucky, they wont the BCS title with a great team. it just so happened that in that year everybody had one loss.

Also the LSU game is a big game for us, but it hasn't always been that way and until ESPN classic starts running games from thirty years ago that we have all seen ten times i won't consider it a true rivalry. Every game in the SEC is huge.

being perfect didn't get us a national title, and since winning a national title is a pretty big reason why they play college football i don't see anything wrong with wishing we had a shot at the title. LSU didn't get lucky, they wont the BCS title with a great team. it just so happened that in that year everybody had one loss.

Also the LSU game is a big game for us, but it hasn't always been that way and until ESPN classic starts running games from thirty years ago that we have all seen ten times i won't consider it a true rivalry. Every game in the SEC is huge.

Using the ESPN classic logic, I would have to say that UF-UGA and UF-UT aren't rivalry games. Give or take a game or 2, none of these two series has games dating back that long. According to this, only AU-UAT, AU-UGA, and UT-UAT would be real rivalries.

Having said that I do consider LSU a rival. For some of you, AU-UT is a rivalry b/c you all grew up with it as one. I grew up watching the great, or weird, games of the AU-LSU series.

I've accepted that Auburn doesn't think of as big of a rival as we consider them. But with our lack of a geographic rival we've found our reasons to hate every team, it just seems like recently Aubie has been the most intense rival to us. Geaux :lsu:

Somewhat agree, but I think that is mostly because down thru the years AUBURN & LSU have not played year in and year out for 60 or 100 years like many teams. I would consider it an interesting rivalry and one that usually has conference implications. AUBURN used to have long standing rivalries with Florida & Tennessee, but the conference alignment changed those games. Now we will be playing LSU every year and I expect the rivalry "feelings" to increase for both schools and fans alike.

PS - If it didn't mean more to the LSU fans than the AUBURN fans, why would a Corndog be talking smack about it?

when i team wins a title b/c everyone else screwed up just as bad as they did, i consider that luck. was that team very, very good? hell yes. best in the country that year in my eyes, but that's just an opinion. and there can be no argument that lsu was beatable. because they lost.

and until we have a real way to decide a champion, even if it's just a plus-one, then i don't give a crap about being a paper champion. and that's all it is. usc was the newspaper champ in 2003. lsu was the computer champ. usc was the "they're from l.a. and we love their players" champ. we won every chance we had. no one can ever take that away. that makes us more a team for the history books than any one loss champ will ever be.

and rival exists when two teams are equal. when they HAVE TO go through one another to do anything truly significant. when the nation has to pause and watch because who ever wins means something big inside the conference and out. when great games are the result. when there is real competition. this is a rivalry, and i can't wait for a new chapter.

I hate two teams in the West: Alabama and Auburn. Why? Because they are the only quality opponents that stand in LSU's way of making it to the SECCG. I would hate Ole Miss, Miss. St., and Arkansas, but they haven't proven to be much to worry about in terms of the standings. I consider Alabama and Auburn a rival for those reasons, and likely why most LSU fans are so passionate about them.

I consider it a neo rivalry. :au: and :lsu: rarely use to meet. It's a rivalry born from the divisional play implemented in 1992. :ut: was a big rival until they were forced off the schedule and :lsu: has filled the void. The series may not have the history that some of the others have had but in recent years it's been as intense as any.

In recent years it has been a rivalry yes and as years pass I am sure it will grow not to the level of :uga: and :ua: but a rivalry all the same.

You can tell it hasn't been a rivalry long, they can't even get the name right. I mean come on guys even bama can get it straight. We are the TIGERS the real tigers, War Eagle is our battle cry; it shouldn’t be hard just remember whom you ripped your name off from and things should be simple from there.

In recent years it has been a rivalry yes and as years pass I am sure it will grow not to the level of  :uga:   and  :ua:   but a rivalry all the same.

You can tell it hasn't been a rivalry long, they can't even get the name right. I mean come on guys even bama can get it straight. We are the TIGERS the real tigers, War Eagle is our battle cry; it shouldn’t be hard just remember whom you ripped your name off from and things should be simple from there.

190670[/snapback]

You're right, oh wise guru. We saw Alabama Poly's nickname was the Plainsmen. We really liked the letter "i", so our forefathers thought,"Hey, what's a good mascot for LSU that has an 'i' in it?"

"The Eyeballs?"

"Wrong 'i', dumbass."

"Oh...us...the tigers?"

"Works for me. Let's go get drunk."

In recent years it has been a rivalry yes and as years pass I am sure it will grow not to the level of  :uga:   and  :ua:   but a rivalry all the same.

190670[/snapback]

You're right, oh wise guru. We saw Alabama Poly's nickname was the Plainsmen. We really liked the letter "i", so our forefathers thought,"Hey, what's a good mascot for LSU that has an 'i' in it?"

"The Eyeballs?"

"Wrong 'i', dumbass."

"Oh...us...the tigers?"

"Works for me. Let's go get drunk."

190676[/snapback]

Wow, sounds about right I can see where the LSU forefathers would mistake the name of a school newspaper as the schools mascot name. :rolleyes:

"Look at the name at the top of the paper."

"I see it, they must be the Plainsmen"

"Yep"

"Hurry, this is taken up to much drinking time"

Nice research.

Haha, this is fun and all but better reserved for the woodshed.

I like LSU week, it's almost as much fun picking at these guys as the bammers.

There are always overriding issues that create a rivalry, the two division format created this one. I consider it as much a rivalry game as UGA (obviously not at the same level as AL), the UGA rivalry has always seemed so civil, it's nice to have one that can get a bit contentious at times. As long as this game carries the implications it has over the last few years it will continue to be huge. All traditions started somewhere, we are just lucky enough to be on the leading edge of this one. In 20 years we will be telling our kids about the "Earthquake Game", the Interception game, the "Fire Game", the defensive 2 pt conversion, Tuberville's Birthday game, and the extra point controversy. We witnessed them all and they will help build the legacy of this rivalry.

I don't understand how it can't be considered a rivalry. :huh:

My first Auburn game was 1996 against LSU, so this game means a little bit more to me than others. Auburn and LSU for the last 5 or so seasons have been the only teams in the West that have been consistent in terms of winning, and do own 3 out of the last 4 SEC titles. Plus over the last 15-20 years this game has produced some very strange games and finishes, and plus neither fan base has warm fuzzies about the other.

I dont hate LSU Fans, just the over the top ones.

I still have to get more fired up about :ua: though.

I miss the :uf: game too. To a lesser degree the :ut: game too.

But the :lsu: & :au: Rivalry is indeed growing. Heck of the Big 6 in the :sec: Bama has only 4 wins in the last 6 years, 2000-2005 so far. Therefore, the LSU-AU game has had more meaning lately. We are the two competing for something in the SEC West.

The vast majority of LSU fans recognize they really don't have a big rival right now so they temporarily pick Auburn because they don't like Tubs. This is reinforced all the time in discussions on LSUTigerForum. Their long time hated rival is Tulane but since they rarely play anymore that puts a damper on that. Second is Ole Miss but that one has kind of quieted down too. So they are a bit frustrated that they don't have a big rival at this time.

As far as two nicknames, I don't understand the issue. LSU has two also (at least two).........the Tigers and the Corndogs. And Auburn played FB as the Tigers a year before LSU's first FB game. :cheer::cheer:

I guess our true old SEC rivalry was Tulane, until they obviously left the SEC and also they are not exactly a football powerhouse. I think many younger people feel as Auburn is a big rival because they are not old enough to remember the heated Ole Miss days. All they know is the divisional play and the recent games with oddball occurances and bad blood. I even consider Bama a big LSU rival. But as pointed out, Auburn has Bama, Ole Piss has Miss St., Florida (I do not buy any LSU fan for a second claiming this as a rival) has Tenn, GA and Fla st. We just don't have any strong in-state competition.

We have the manufactured battle of the Boot nonsense between LSU and Arkansas, but I do not buy it. It is not a long standing series, and lets face it, Arkie does not even feel welcome in the SEC.

Another thing I think is, that people freely use the term rival for any opponent. By today's standards, or what people say is a rival, you can make an argument for every match up in the SEC.

But to me a true rival is something that has gone on year in and year out. It is the game circled on a schedule whether your team on 10-0 or 0-10. The Iron Bowl is a rivalry, UT -Bama is a rivalry, FLA-UGA is a rivalry.

What we have is some sort of notion of a rivalry based on the LSU - AU game being a determining factor of the SEC West. If Auburn was not strong this year, many LSU fans would then realize that it is not so much a rival as it is a must win for divisional purposes. Same goes for Auburn if LSU is not strong.

For all you Aubbies traveling to the game, have a safe trip, enjoy yourself, but keep your hands away from my corndogs.

It is indeed a rivalry for me. I hate LSU. My wife has family from Louisiana and they are the most pathetic obnoxious folks I have ever met. They come to my house twice a year( Talladega race weekend ) and it is indeed more than I can bear. They are huge Louisiana State University fans and I can honestly say that I hate them.

I do not paint all lsu fans with this wide brush, some of them may still have a majority of their teeth and may have been taught manners and overall good hygenic practices. I repeat I am saying I do not think that all fans of the wannabe tigers are this way. I know there are good and decent lsu fans out there, and even some on this board. All that being said, I still hate Louisiana State University. I consider it a huge rivalry and I hope we beat the everloving snot out of them Saturday night.

My time is over I thank you for yours......

Archived