In the company of greatness

StatTiger

Except for the players noted to the side, here are the total rushing yards after 8 games into the season.

Year- Yards- Player

1985- 1450- Bo Jackson

2000- 1124- Rudi Johnson

1980- 1051- James Brooks

1986- 1032- Brent Fullwood

1994- 937- Stephen Davis

2002- 892- Ronnie Brown ( Last 8 )

1978- 837- Joe Cribbs

1979- 824- James Brooks

2005- 820- Kenny Irons

1979- 804- Joe Cribbs

2003- 774- Carnell Williams

1993- 771- James Bostic

2004- 766- Carnell Williams

1992- 761- James Bostic ( last 8 )

2002- 745- Carnell Williams ( First 7 games )

1983- 737- Bo Jackson

1995- 726- Stephen Davis

1982- 657- Bo Jackson

2004- 587- Ronnie Brown

1977- 557- Joe Cribbs

:au::football::cheer:

I like the way Kenny runs...if he'd just gain about 10 or so pounds he'd be a beast.

But out of our starting 2 backs, who's the better back, Irons or Lester? Or do we really have a 2 headed monster like last year? I just haven't really seen enough of Lester to be able to say...

Oh man....I have no clue.

Right now, Kenny Irons is running like a racehorse. It'd be absolutely wrong to put Lester at #1 and ruin this momentum that Irons has come into since the Arkansas game.

I think they are both great backs.....I think we have another 2 headed monster Numa :big:

The thing about Irons this year......hes improving every game. Ive never seen such improvement from a back from his first game, till now.

I know he was benched during the GT game because of issues at practice, but looking back it really would have been nice to have seen him out there. I wonder what that could have done for our season media/hype wise.

Irons and lester may not be Ronnie and Carnell, but I doubt we'll ever see anything quite like that again. Still at this point I would not trade them for another duo in the SEC. The freshmen at Arkansas are darn good, and if LSU had both Broussard and Addai healthy they would be a menace, but as it stands, I like where we're at. And remember, Brad's only a RS freshman, so that's pretty cool. I would love to see us run a lot of 2-back stuff with them like we did last year, but if push comes to shove and you HAVE to name one the starter, I say it's gotta be Kenny. Brad has proven his worth too, but not against a team like LSU, as Kenny has.

KI is definetly the starter and should remain so. What is needed is to reduce his carries somewhat. He has really carried the load the last few games and we need that back that can deliver 10 to 15 quality carries. Thirty plus carriers per game is too much for most backs. It results in injury. Remember how TT really ran Cadillac his freshman and sophmore years and both of those ended in injury. When carriers were more evenly split with RB their junior and senior years, both were available nearly every game.

Injuries have crept up on us, Auburn really has just Irons, Smith, and now Davis.

So this :uk: game needs to be won early so the backups can play.

Hopefully AU can get out to an early big lead against Kentucky and rest the starters and those with nicks & bruises so they will all be healthy for :uga: & :ua:

:au::au:

WAR EAGLE!

:au::au:

I imagine Tre and Tristin will both get a lot of carries vs UK.

My take, for what it's worth, on the rb situation is this...that it was a mistake to start Brad. I think Brad is great...but I think he's best as the first guy off the bench behind Kenny, and as a kick returner. I think Kenny is the every down guy we need, and Brad is that change of pace terror coming off the bench. That combo will win us a lot of football games. ;)

:au::homer:

My take, for what it's worth, on the rb situation is this...that it was a mistake to start Brad. I think Brad is great...but I think he's best as the first guy off the bench behind Kenny, and as a kick returner. I think Kenny is the every down guy we need, and Brad is that change of pace terror coming off the bench. That combo will win us a lot of football games. ;)

:au::homer:

Archived