After our deal with Russell Athletic expires

bammanmr

Saw this on ITAT and thought i'd bring it over.

I'm sure the product is good, but those commercials are some of the gayest I've ever seen.

UNDER ARMOUR TO BE OFFICIAL OUTFITTER OF AUBURN ATHLETICS

AUBURN-Auburn University Thursday announced it has signed a five-year contract with Under Armour Performance Apparel (NASDAQ: UARM) to be Official Outfitter of the university’s athletic teams. The announcement was made jointly by Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs and Under Armour Founder and CEO Kevin Plank. Auburn's athletic teams will wear Under Armour uniforms, cleats, apparel and accessories beginning in the summer of 2006.

The five-year contract is worth over $10.6 million in sponsorship, product and additional benefits.

"We are extremely excited about our new partnership with Under Armour," Jacobs said. "Under Armour is the leader in performance apparel and their products and focus on improving performance will be a tremendous benefit for Auburn's student-athletes. The commitment Under Armour has made to this program is a strong indicator of the value that Auburn Athletics possesses. This partnership will give Auburn a wealth of marketing opportunities and national exposure."

Founded in 1996, Under Armour is the originator of performance apparel, a line of moisture wicking microfiber clothing that pulls perspiration away from the skin to keep athletes cool, dry and light throughout the course of a game, practice or workout.

"This will be a great advantage for our program," Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville said. "Under Armour will provide our athletes and staff with a competitive advantage by wearing the finest apparel and uniforms available.”

“Under Armour was created to provide athletes with a competitive advantage,” said Plank, whose company announced its upcoming debut of cleated footwear in a recent commercial campaign. “We see this partnership with Auburn as the perfect opportunity to help take its student-athletes and athletic department to that next level of performance. Auburn is an exceptional university with a top-notch athletic program and we’re especially pleased that its teams will be wearing Under Armour footwear.”

Under Armour is known for its PROTECT THIS HOUSE marketing campaign, and is the official supplier of performance apparel to National Lacrosse League, Major League Lacrosse, the National Hockey League, USA Baseball and the US Ski Team.

Under Armour is available worldwide through its web site and at more than 8,000 retail locations worldwide including Dick's Sporting Goods, The Sports Authority, Hibbett Sports, Modell's, Academy and The Sports Chalet.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT AUBURN, please contact Kirk Sampson at 334-844-9800.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT UNDER ARMOUR, please contact Amy Christopher, Warschawski Public Relations at (410) 367-2700

December 1, 2005

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This on the heels of a deal with New Balance? Wow, didn't see this coming at all. I believe that Maryland is the only football program that currently wears Under Armour.

What happened to our deal with New Balance?

202719[/snapback]

Do they make uniforms? I thought they provided our cleats and not our uniforms.

Do they make uniforms? I thought they provided our cleats and not our uniforms.

They did provide our cleats this season and not the unis, but the article states that Under Armour will provide :au: with cleats starting in the summer. Wonder if bridges were burned?

The deal with New Balance was only for footwear, since we didn't have anybody else. The contract was up this year and Under Armour put in a bid on it. The only competition with Russell, and if I had a vote, I would have gone with Under Armour as well. This shoudl really help out in recruiting as well, since we will have some of the newest products and apperal that is out.

The New Balance deal is over because Brodie Croyle got a tatoo of the New Balance logo permanantly implanted on his back side after Auburn stomped his ass about a week ago....

And yes Brodie, that happened in one of the last 3 quarters that you guys beat us in!!!! :moon::moon:

Oh the other hand... while I am sure Under Armour is a great company, Russell Athletics is an Alabama based company. If we can't support the companies and businesses and employees of our own home state, then what does that say about us? Russell has been an Auburn supporter and bigtime financial contributor for a long time - that should be worth something...

This is so lame that we would let that gay under armor company make our uniforms. What a bunch of sell outs considering Russell is an Alabama company. Last time Auburn tried to let Nike do he uniforms, there was such a back-lash that the Nike was dropped.

I sure hope we don't sell out and let Under Armour screw around with our uniforms.

202727[/snapback]

Auburn will not be changing styles of jerseys. They will remain as is with the only differences likely how they are cut and made. The color schemes will remain the same.

This is so lame that we would let that gay under armor company make our uniforms.  What a bunch of sell outs considering Russell is an Alabama company.  Last time Auburn tried to let Nike do he uniforms, there was such a back-lash that the Nike was dropped.

202739[/snapback]

I was with the team for the last 5 years, and never once did I hear something about Nike making the uniforms. They wanted us to have Nike uni's , but we stayed with Russell, and that is what drove Nike away.

As far as supporting Alabama companies, there were many things that went on behind the scenes that nobody knows about outside of the program. There were many instances where Russell almost screwed Auburn last year. It does suck that Russell lost the contract, but there were things that they could have done different to prevent this from happening.

Oh the other hand... while I am sure Under Armour is a great company, Russell Athletics is an Alabama based company.  If we can't support the companies and businesses and employees of our own home state, then what does that say about us?  Russell has been an Auburn supporter and bigtime financial contributor for a long time - that should be worth something...

202736[/snapback]

I agree with Jenny. As a traditionalist, I was unhappy when we switched from Russell to Nike (albeit briefly) under Bowden and I didn't like the orange shadowing he used on the numbers one season.

I am not pleased that Auburn is switching from Russell. I don't believe every decision should be based on money. In my opinion, loyalty and friendship should be worth something. Russell has been a friend to Auburn for many, many years. I learn of Auburn breaking its ties with them with a sense of great sadness.

I dread the marketing plans that could follow from Underarmor. Will AU be asked to wear one funny-colored sleeve to help them with a marketing campaign as Virginia Tech, Florida and Miami did for Nike this season? Will they want us to wear orange jerseys to build up the product base as Clemson does with those garish purple ones?

I'm trying hard to see how this can be a good thing, but my stomach hurts thinking about it.

This kind of thing hits home with me probably more than others because I make my living off of the (rapidly dwindling) textile industry in Alabama and the U.S. in general. Russell does contribute a lot to our University and without them I might not have a degree from my beloved school.

That being said, we have to trust that the powers-that-be are making the best decisions for our program and University.

WDE!! :au:

This is so lame that we would let that gay under armor company make our uniforms.  What a bunch of sell outs considering Russell is an Alabama company.  Last time Auburn tried to let Nike do he uniforms, there was such a back-lash that the Nike was dropped.

202739[/snapback]

I was with the team for the last 5 years, and never once did I hear something about Nike making the uniforms. They wanted us to have Nike uni's , but we stayed with Russell, and that is what drove Nike away.

As far as supporting Alabama companies, there were many things that went on behind the scenes that nobody knows about outside of the program. There were many instances where Russell almost screwed Auburn last year. It does suck that Russell lost the contract, but there were things that they could have done different to prevent this from happening.

202748[/snapback]

Actually, they did try to go with Nike back when Tater Tot was the coach. Only problem was that the deal they proposed to Auburn was about half of what they had proposed to Alabama, so Auburn stayed with Russell.

I know that Russell has fallen on some hard times of late, but I truly wonder whet this will do to their business if it does go through. It would be sad to see Auburn turn it's back on an Alabama based company just as the tahd did many years ago.

As for the Under Armour thing...it has really given Maryland a decent advantage so far with the Fridge being on so many commercials, so maybe it will help out the Auburn national image a little.

OK, I don't understand how these deals work. That $10.6M? Is that what Auburn Athletics pays for this apparel? Or is Under Armour giving :au: this stuff, and that's what it's worth?

I too wish we stayed with Russell to support that company better, help the AL and local economy, and then they support :au: back. But maybe their products aren't as high tech compared to the competition (regarding cooling and sweat).

i am shocked too. wow. i work in sporting goods and sell lots of both Russell and UA. UA makes some really good stuff and all the kids (young people) love it. i'm really not sure how much of a difference, if any, that makes as far as recruiting. the national appeal may be good. can u see Tubs doing those commercials like Ralph Friedgen???? i know those commercials are everywhere. i would be most interested to learn some of the 'behind the scenes' stories about Russell. from my standpoint, it is sad, especially if there is bad blood somewhere, considering the long-term relationship. you would think they would work together. oh, well.

I guess everyone is surprised, I am. I felt loyality to Russell as only official

Russel products did I buy, jerseys, shirts. If it had Nike/Champion, Jack Leg brand on it, pass on by.

We would even stop at the retail store in Alex City and buy the real deal at a better price. Dang you Under Armor!! :chair:

You screw with our uni's and you will pay!

The coaches have been wearing some of Under Armor stuff don't know if this was

try it and see if you like it type thing.

Let's keep a little perspective. Russell may be an Alabama based company, but that didn't keep them from closing down a plant or two in the state and sending jobs out of the country a few years back. Russell should have stepped it up instead of pulling what they did the last time...whining to their state legislator to raise a stink about it and getting the Nike deal scuttled.

Frankly, as long as the unis look the same, I don't care if Mary Poppins makes them.

I tend to agree with the folks who are a bit sad. Loyalty is a good and (it seems increasingly rare) thing, so other things being equal, I would prefer for Auburn to stick with Russel. It is nice to support an Alabama Company and have that long-term relationship.

I know Under Armor is popular, and if they think that will help with recruiting, then I guess sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Also, if there were behind the scenes things, then I would like to know about them, but if it was strictly a money thing, then that just sucks.

And if those people try to change the AU uni's, I hope there is a popular uprising.

I hate those two-tone uni's that VT and :uf: wore earlier this year.

Did anyone else notice that some of our players had the two-tone undershirts on during the Iron Bowl? Go back and look at the pics of Stanley McGlover, and I think Marquis Gunn (or maybe it was Groves). They are wearing the traditional navy uniform tops, but the long sleeve t-shirts underneath have one blue and one white arm. Hope that is not an indication of things to come.

Well, all that being said, I'm still curious about the New Balance deal. I remember the coaching staff raving about how much of an advantage those "custom-fit" shoes were going to be. Does anyone know how those shoes worked out? I'm sure some big dude with size 17 cleats would really appreciate having a custom made pair of cleats.

:AUBig:

Archived