After our deal with Russell Athletic expires

bammanmr

Oh the other hand... while I am sure Under Armour is a great company, Russell Athletics is an Alabama based company.  If we can't support the companies and businesses and employees of our own home state, then what does that say about us?  Russell has been an Auburn supporter and bigtime financial contributor for a long time - that should be worth something...

202736[/snapback]

Russell does not care about the people of Alabama, especially Auburn and Alex City. They pulled almost completely out of Alex City and cost many of the citizens their jobs and way of life. I am glad to see the competition. Many people lost jobs from the Russell pull out. Some were fired on the spot and lost their retirement. It was bitter and very wrong. I have no sympathy for them. Hopefully, this deal with Under-Armor works out.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found this on Danny Perry's facebook profile.

haha.jpg

202751[/snapback]

lol, Danny is my old neighbor, before I got old and graduated........... :cry3: Anyways, does it reall matter??? I mean as long as they dont play the awesome (sarcasm) commercials at JH Stadium, I dont mind

Oh the other hand... while I am sure Under Armour is a great company, Russell Athletics is an Alabama based company.  If we can't support the companies and businesses and employees of our own home state, then what does that say about us?  Russell has been an Auburn supporter and bigtime financial contributor for a long time - that should be worth something...

202736[/snapback]

I agree with Jenny. As a traditionalist, I was unhappy when we switched from Russell to Nike (albeit briefly) under Bowden and I didn't like the orange shadowing he used on the numbers one season.

I am not pleased that Auburn is switching from Russell. I don't believe every decision should be based on money. In my opinion, loyalty and friendship should be worth something. Russell has been a friend to Auburn for many, many years. I learn of Auburn breaking its ties with them with a sense of great sadness.

I dread the marketing plans that could follow from Underarmor. Will AU be asked to wear one funny-colored sleeve to help them with a marketing campaign as Virginia Tech, Florida and Miami did for Nike this season? Will they want us to wear orange jerseys to build up the product base as Clemson does with those garish purple ones?

I'm trying hard to see how this can be a good thing, but my stomach hurts thinking about it.

202754[/snapback]

Nike never made official game uniforms for the team to wear.

The events that occured with Russell that were "behind the scenes", doens't need to be made public. Lets just say that there were numerous instances where they did not follow through with their end of the deal. Getting product to us when it was supposed to, and even getting it to us at all. In my opinion the quality of some of their products is just not up to that of other companies.

On another note, is it me or does that picture with Danny Perry look really fake. If it was a real ad picture, why would the Auburn logo be in the background, and why would there be a color change right next to his one arm?? It looks to me like he made this picture himself.

Link

Press Release Source: Under Armour Performance Apparel

Under Armour to Be Official Outfitter of Auburn Athletics

Thursday December 1, 11:43 am ET

AUBURN, Ala., Dec. 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Auburn University Thursday announced it has signed a five-year contract with Under Armour Performance Apparel (Nasdaq: UARM - News) to be Official Outfitter of the university's athletic teams. The announcement was made jointly by Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs and Under Armour Founder and CEO Kevin Plank. Auburn's athletic teams will wear Under Armour uniforms, cleats, apparel and accessories beginning in the summer of 2006.

The five-year contract is worth over $10.6 million in sponsorship, product and additional benefits.

"We are extremely excited about our new partnership with Under Armour," Jacobs said. "Under Armour is the leader in performance apparel and their products and focus on improving performance will be a tremendous benefit for Auburn's student-athletes. The commitment Under Armour has made to this program is a strong indicator of the value that Auburn Athletics possesses. This partnership will give Auburn a wealth of marketing opportunities and national exposure."

Founded in 1996, Under Armour is the originator of performance apparel, a line of moisture wicking microfiber clothing that pulls perspiration away from the skin to keep athletes cool, dry and light throughout the course of a game, practice or workout.

"This will be a great advantage for our program," Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville said. "Under Armour will provide our athletes and staff with a competitive advantage by wearing the finest apparel and uniforms available."

Under Armour is known for its PROTECT THIS HOUSE marketing campaign, and is the official supplier of performance apparel to National Lacrosse League, Major League Lacrosse, the National Hockey League, USA Baseball and the US Ski Team.

Under Armour is available worldwide through its web site (http://www.underarmour.com) and at more than 8,000 retail locations worldwide including Dick's Sporting Goods, The Sports Authority, Hibbett Sports, Modell's, Academy and The Sports Chalet.

"Under Armour was created to provide athletes with a competitive advantage," said Plank, whose company announced its upcoming debut of cleated footwear in a recent commercial campaign. "We see this partnership with Auburn as the perfect opportunity to help take its student-athletes and athletic department to that next level of performance. Auburn is an exceptional university with a top-notch athletic program and we're especially pleased that its teams will be wearing Under Armour footwear."

AUBURN UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS

Auburn University, located in Auburn, Ala., was founded in 1856 and is a member of the Southeastern Conference. In 2004-05, the Auburn Athletics had 16 of 21 teams participate in post-season competition, including one national champion (men's swimming and diving) and four SEC Champions. Last year, five programs finished in the Top five nationally, eight in the Top 10 and 13 in the Top 25. The football program finished second nationally with a perfect 13-0 season in 2004 and followed with a 9-2 mark this year.

In all, Auburn has finished in the Top 25 nationally in the Director's Cup All Sports competition for 10 straight years and in the Top 20 four of the last seven years.

Hope they dont have a problem with our players taping their ankles.

I don't mind players expressing style like McClover and Groves did. The days are gone where all players look the same. Visors have become increasingly popular among collegiate players and most of us have no problem with visors. I do agree that the Va Tech, UF, Miami jerseys were horrid, but I don't mind the two tone undershirts.

The events that occured with Russell that were "behind the scenes", doens't need to be made public.  Lets just say that there were numerous instances where they did not follow through with their end of the deal.  Getting product to us when it was supposed to, and even getting it to us at all.  In my opinion the quality of some of their products is just not up to that of other companies.

On another note, is it me or does that picture with Danny Perry look really fake.  If it was a real ad picture, why would the Auburn logo be in the background, and why would there be a color change right next to his one arm??  It looks to me like he made this picture himself.

202812[/snapback]

He may have made the picture himself. This is just his new facebook picture. For those of you who don't know, Facebook is an online directory that connects people through social networks at schools across the nation. You can build a profile and post as many pictures as you like. The picture that I posted was his main picture on his profile. I saw it yesterday and when I saw the topic I just thought I'd post it.

Yeah, Danny just used photoshop, happens a lot on Facebook, Its a great tool however, gives me something to waste many hours on at the office :D

whats the big fuss? They are just jerseys! Who cares what logo they have on them. If under armour wants to give us money to wear them, so be it. Everything is about money now-a-days. Just because Russell is local doesn't mean we have to have ties with them. If the Ath. Department wants this to happen, then it is probably best. It's not going to bring any more or less national attention to auburn because of the unis we wear. Frankly I wouldn't care if the uniforms were made by Calvin Klein or Puma or the some old ladys that like to sew. NOTHING MATTERS BUT THE GAME!!!

Everything is about money now-a-days. Just because Russell is local doesn't mean we have to have ties with them.

202838[/snapback]

That's not the Auburn I remember. Maybe you're right. Times change. Change isn't always for the best.

Everything is about money now-a-days. Just because Russell is local doesn't mean we have to have ties with them.

202838[/snapback]

That's not the Auburn I remember. Maybe you're right. Times change. Change isn't always for the best.

202846[/snapback]

The thing is that Russel is not local anymore. Most of their major decision making and top dogs are now in Atlanta.

I agree with Aubie7 on this topic. If Russel can't come through, then get a company in here that wants the business.

I agree with the rest of you though...don't change the jerseys...

Everyone needs to remember that loyalty is a two-way street. I don't pretend to have any inside information and don't know why the change is being made. I just think most of you (us) need to not jump to conclusions and paint Auburn as the bad guys here when, really, none of us have a clue as to the specifics.

Everyone needs to remember that loyalty is a two-way street.  I don't pretend to have any inside information and don't know why the change is being made.  I just think most of you (us) need to not jump to conclusions and paint Auburn as the bad guys here when, really, none of us have a clue as to the specifics.

202851[/snapback]

No, I'm not painting either party. It may be the fault of one or the other.

I just hate to see AU end its long-term association with Russell. I, for one, thought Auburn and America every time I saw the Russell logo.

I don't know what to think about this:

under-armour-pic.gif

I hope that they do make some type of change to the uni's. NOT like :uf: 's and all that two tone crap, but catch up with the times a little. Then on the flip side I don't care what they do because jersey color or design doesn't win ball games....well maybe the old tear away jerseys helped some, anyway put'em in hot pink for all I care.....as long as :au: is winning its all good.

I think this is being made more of a deal than it should be. They are not changing the jerseys at all....Not only that, but under armour actually looks pretty cool with the products they currently have.

According to an article I read there will be no change to the jerseys or pants, but possibly some accesory changes - wristbands, gloves, elbow pads, etc.

I hope that they do make some type of change to the uni's. NOT like  :uf: 's and all that two tone crap, but catch up with the times a little.

202863[/snapback]

Clueless people are funny.

"We are extremely excited about our new partnership with Under Armour," Jacobs said. "Under Armour is the leader in performance apparel and their products and focus on improving performance will be a tremendous benefit for Auburn's student-athletes. The commitment Under Armour has made to this program is a strong indicator of the value that Auburn Athletics possesses. This partnership will give Auburn a wealth of marketing opportunities and national exposure."

I seen where others mentioned commercials with Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen. I guess I've missed them some how. I've seen a lot of Under Armour ads but never any with Coach Friedgen.

I will miss Russell though. I understand the points made about them cutting jobs and pulling a lot of their company out of Alabama but it's still has more of a local connection than Under Armour. The funny thing about it me is about a month ago I was bashing bammer to my girl friend (who is a bammer fan) for going with Nike over Russell. I guess I'll have to eat some crow.

Not sure if anyone has noticed before, but I think nearly all of our players were already wearing Under Armour undershirts, and many of our WR's and DB's have been wearing those Under Armour arm wraps or whatever they are for about the last half of the season. This really seems to be something that has been progressively happening for a while.

:au:

Come on everyone Russell's jerseys and apparel were crap!!!! Every Auburn shirt or hat that I have purchased has been Nike because Russell's shirts and hats were crap. Under Armour makes the finest jerseys and shirts. Have any of you played football in your life???? Well I did and I would have loved to have some moisture reducing shirts under my shoulder pads! my undershirts weighted about 10 pounds after a game all sweat!!!!! I'm exited that we will finally have some shirts and hats that are worth buying.So everyone just be glad that Auburn is a first class, NATIONAL PROGRAM that will finally have the best performance apparel that is made today WAR EAGLE 4IN A ROW

I have to say that I am a little sad to see that familiar R go away, but I won't lose sleep over it as long as they don't change the way our unis look at all.

Tuberville's comments on the switch:

As the official outfitter of Auburn's athletics teams, Under Armour agreed to provide the school with more than $10.6 million in sponsorships, product and additional benefits for five years. That is five times larger, Jacobs said, than any previous apparel contract.

Auburn was on the verge of switching from Russell, then headquartered in Alexander City, to Nike in 1995 but, after pressure from state government officials, signed a new agreement with Russell. In 1999, Russell moved its headquarters to Atlanta.

Plank said Auburn will be a marketing centerpiece for Under Armour, an 11-year-old company with headquarters in Baltimore. Under Armour already is the outfitter for University of Maryland football and has had relationships with the U.S. ski team, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League and Major League Soccer. Plank said the agreement with Auburn represents a move to another level.

"We're going to give you the best, the fastest, the lightest uniforms out there," Plank said. "We are going to tell people not only about our company, but about our relationship with Auburn University."

Football coach Tommy Tuberville said there would be no change in uniform colors or schemes.

"We'll look the same way," Tuberville said. "There will just be a different material."

Under Armour will provide for all Auburn's uniform needs in football and 10 other sports next year. The following year, 17 of 21 Auburn athletic teams will wear Under Armour apparel. The company plans to begin producing football and baseball shoes next year. Auburn football players wear New Balance shoes this season but will eventually switch to Under Armour shoes. Tuberville said a decision will be made later on whether the switch will be made in time for next season.

Tuberville said Auburn players will welcome the change to Under Armour, which got its start manufacturing undershirts made of lightweight material that keeps athletes cooler in the heat of competition.

"Our players recognize it as a symbol of quality and fun," Tuberville said. "They like to wear it."

it seems I remember reading that Russell was moving away from supplying

unis, and concentrating elsewhere. So this switch will be a good thing in the

near future. Thanks Russell for the 50 years, and good luck.

It will be intersting now to see which teams will follow Auburn's and Maryland's

lead in choosing UnderArmor.

I dont understand all of the fuss.....but UnderArmour really is the premier stuff and the best idea for Auburn Apparel. For those of you that actually play or have played football UnderArmour is a lifesaver. It makes you much cooler in the hot and much warmer in the cold. It is so awsome. Also in case you havent noticed the Auburn Team has a ton of UnderArmour apparel already. I tottaly love this! This also means that Auburn will sell UnderArmour apparel to the general public. This is the best idea Auburn has had since he Eagle Flying. :au::au::au::D

FindDealerBranding.jpg

just image Kenny on the cover of Spors illustrated like that!?

ATLauburnfan

Archived