After our deal with Russell Athletic expires

bammanmr

I hope that they do make some type of change to the uni's. NOT like  :uf: 's and all that two tone crap, but catch up with the times a little. Then on the flip side I don't care what they do because jersey color or design doesn't win ball games....well maybe the old tear away jerseys helped some, anyway put'em in hot pink for all I care.....as long as  :au: is winning its all good.

202863[/snapback]

... but aren't they already wearing "dark pink" in Tuscaloosa? :big:

Here's a Huntsville Times link:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill...ll=1&thispage=1

As the official outfitter of Auburn's athletics teams, Under Armour agreed to provide the school with more than $10.6 million in sponsorships, product and additional benefits for five years. That is five times larger, Jacobs said, than any previous apparel contract.

The $10.6 million value of the deal includes $3.7 million in cash payments that the athletic department will receive over the life of the agreement. The deal takes effect in June, ending a relationship of more than 50 years with Russell Corp. Auburn will also be featured in Under Armour's national advertising campaigns, Plank said

Jacobs said that Auburn "sought out the top apparel providers in the nation" for proposals, and Under Armour was the best and most lucrative.

"At the end of the day, when you look at it," Jacobs said, "this deal was so much better that, being a steward and doing business in this department, it was a very objective decision. It's a great deal."

Plank said Auburn will be a marketing centerpiece for Under Armour, an 11-year-old company with headquarters in Baltimore

"We're going to give you the best, the fastest, the lightest uniforms out there," Plank said. "We are going to tell people not only about our company, but about our relationship with Auburn University."

Jacobs said Under Armour's marketing plans present Auburn with a unique opportunity.

"They'll be here doing commercials at our venues," Jacobs said. "What they are doing nationally is going to be a great story to tie us in with them. We'll get that national exposure. From that standpoint, it's invaluable."

Under Armour will also market Auburn apparel in retail outlets, with royalties going to the university's general scholarship fund.

Football coach Tommy Tuberville said there would be no change in uniform colors or schemes.

"We'll look the same way," Tuberville said. "There will just be a different material."

Under Armour will provide for all Auburn's uniform needs in football and 10 other sports next year. The following year, 17 of 21 Auburn athletic teams will wear Under Armour apparel. The company plans to begin producing football and baseball shoes next year. Auburn football players wear New Balance shoes this season but will eventually switch to Under Armour shoes. Tuberville said a decision will be made later on whether the switch will be made in time for next season.

Tuberville said Auburn players will welcome the change to Under Armour, which got its start manufacturing undershirts made of lightweight material that keeps athletes cooler in the heat of competition.

"Our players recognize it as a symbol of quality and fun," Tuberville said. "They like to wear it."

I agree that money isn't everything, but five times more than anybody else is a BIG difference. Sounds as if we'll be getting a lot of good national publicity in the process as well.

Bottom line for me--if Jay Jacobs, Tommy Tuberville, and the players all think it's a good idea, and we'll still have our same classic look, I'm for it!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure the product is good, but those commercials are some of the gayest I've ever seen.

I don't know how good this product is, but gayest commercials? :blink: Seem a bit over the top, but isn't that what advertising is suppoe to be ? Heck, that might be what Under Amour is all about, hype and adverrising. I can't say personally.

I'm just glad it's not Nike. Something about that swoosh symbol on any college uniform, especially Auburn's, just feels unholy.

IMHO Russell was the worst quality product on the market. To see our beloved University logo on that crap was unsightly at best. I also am close freinds with some terminated russell employees and after them moving to ATL and doing what they did before they left was a disgrace. They will be missed by some and the local ties are very important but blind loyalty in the BIG BUISSNESS of BIG TIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL is stupid. On top of all of this the comercials for Under Armour are fruity to say the least but thats what marketing geeks do and think is cool. But the product is so freaking ausome I have a closet full of thier product and wont buy another brand it is simply the best. The union of Under Armour and AU is going to put AU in the national spotlight and give recruits one more reason to come to one of the TOP TIER programs in the nation!!!! WAR UNDER ARMOUR, WAR DAMN EAGLE and for the lasting relationship WAR RUSSELL good luck!!!!

I suspect we will all look back in several years and applaud this decision to change. Auburn athletics has advanced tremendously in the last 20 years and this change will likely thrust us even further ahead. My confidence in the leadership in making this decision could not be greater. Auburn people should be looking forward to much favorable national exposure if all goes as planned.

WAR EAGLE!!!

I dunno why people are worrying about the two tone crap becuase :uf: and v tech are by nike not underarmor though they do have the two tone underneath but thats not bad... i just hope we stay the way we are

Here's hoping that she and her husband (whoever that is ;) ) stay around long enough to enjoy the fruits of their labor in getting this contract set up.

:roflol:

Here's hoping that she and her husband (whoever that is  ;) ) stay around long enough to enjoy the fruits of their labor in getting this contract set up.

:roflol:

202959[/snapback]

I agree :big::big:

:cheer::cheer::au:

I hope that they do make some type of change to the uni's. NOT like  :uf: 's and all that two tone crap, but catch up with the times a little.

202863[/snapback]

Clueless people are funny.

202887[/snapback]

Ummm O.K. Thank You. I appreciate that. I hope you have a wonderful weekend also.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I hope that they do make some type of change to the uni's. NOT like  :uf: 's and all that two tone crap, but catch up with the times a little.

202863[/snapback]

Clueless people are funny.

202887[/snapback]

Ummm O.K. Thank You. I appreciate that. I hope you have a wonderful weekend also.

202968[/snapback]

Auburn's look is timeless, much like LSU's. No need to improve on a classic uniform with marketing gimmicks. This issue has been rehashed many times here and on other forums. Penn State is stuck in the past with their generic uni's. Auburn's look is classic without being stuffy.

What, pray tell, would you change to make it better?

You have to forgive Titan. He is bitter over the Titans' season so far.

I, for one, Am outragged that the Martha Stewart clothing line did not get the contract.......what is this world coming too? I could only Imagine the beauty of all those snuggly linen uniforms all over the field

I hope under armor doesn't change anything to do with the uniform's, we have seen a few minor changes over the last few seasons with the additions of the SEC patch and AUBURN on the front of the shirt replacing the old AU logo.

I am kind of surprised, that three pages into this thread someone has not started asking is Under Armor going to change :au: uni's to orange. It seems like every other time something is brought up about uniforms someone starts this nonsense.

One of the articles I read clearly stated that nothing about the color or style would change, but perhaps the material would change for the better. The appearance would be the same as it is now.

I have used the Russell dry gear and the UnderArmor dry gear. UnderArmor works and feels better and holds up better in repeated use and washing.

I'd have loved to played in jerseys made out of this stuff.

I, for one, Am outragged that the Martha Stewart clothing line did not get the contract.......what is this world coming too?  I could only Imagine the beauty of all those snuggly linen uniforms all over the field

202979[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I heard that Martha Stewart would be outfitting Bama's offensive line next year... :rolleyes:

I liked the orange behind the numbers from when Bowden was there, I actually liked the orange facemask from back in the day too. The uni doesn't win ball games, so do with them what they will......

One of the articles I read clearly stated that nothing about the color or style would change, but perhaps the material would change for the better.  The appearance would be the same as it is now.

203017[/snapback]

Tubs says the uniforms won't change.

Interesting to note that Nikki Borges was the marketing consultant in this deal.

202956[/snapback]

Interesting to note: Nikki Borges is hot.

I found this on Danny Perry's facebook profile.

haha.jpg

202751[/snapback]

He's an Industrial Design student and the picture is for a photography assignment. There is no professional affiliation to Under Armour.

Archived