LSU Senior Arrested

Guest Tigrinum Major

Stat,

Here's the thing. Most cops are good guys. I think it's fair to say that police have more than their share of a-holes though. The job description brings in more power hungry guys with an attitude. You probably don't have to deal with what others do nearly as much because you are a policeman yourself, part of the brotherhood. People will remember one big a-hole before they remember the 10 good cops that helped them, that's just the way it is sometimes.

And for the record again, I'm not poor mouthing cops in general, just the a-holes and the ones who trump up charges, like in this case, without good reason which you know happens everyday in every decent sized city in America.  Overcharge them so they'll plea down. I have all the respect in the world and then some for good cops.

219208[/snapback]

1) In regards to your comment about our fair share of a-holes, I don't agree. Once again, every profession has them. I'm curious, just how often do you have contact with the police to make such a claim? Even if you were stopped ten times this year for speeding and 8 of the 10 officers were a-holes, how can you pass judgement on a department of 200 or 300 officers? It's all about perception. In my 19 years of service, I have won Officer of the Year three times and Officer of the month, 9 times. I have countless letters from victim's, who were grateful for my actions. I have never been suspended and believe me, that's hard to do in 19 years of service. If I'm 1 second late for the reading with no excuse, I'm suspended one day's pay. I've also had people file complaints because they were not satisfied with my job performance. I've sent suspects to the hospital because they resisted arrest. I'm quite sure these individuals consider me to be an a-hole. I have a simple rule of thumb. I treat people the way I would want to be treated but I can be the biggest a-hole if the person(s) I'm dealing with is shoveling it in my direction.

You probably don't have to deal with what others do nearly as much because you are a policeman yourself, part of the brotherhood.

In the last 9 years as a criminal investigator, I have arrested 4 of my fellow officers on felony charges. Yes, there is a brotherhood amongst officers but it's no different than the brotherhood of soldiers who spent time in combat. Since joining my department, 5 of my fellow officers have been killed in the line of duty. Two guys in my former patrol squad have been shot. I have been shot at twice. I can't count the number of times my brothers in my squad have come to my aid. We see it all and only another officer can truly understand what policing is really like. For this very reason, it becomes necessary for us to be close because our lives depend on it at times. I don't know where you live but I suggest riding with a patrol officer one night if you live in a major city. Most major departments have a "ride along" program. Keep in mind, law enforcement normally has the 2nd highest rate of suicide by profession. Four of my fellow officers have eaten a bullet because they finally snapped.

I'm not poor mouthing cops in general, just the a-holes and the ones who trump up charges, like in this case, without good reason which you know happens everyday in every decent sized city in America.  Overcharge them so they'll plea down.

You always go with the greater charge but not for the purpose of "trumping" up charges. In most cases, you cannot change the charge to a greater offense once an indictment has been made but it can always be lowered to a lesser offense. Even if you go with the greater charge, you still have to show probable cause in a preliminary hearing for the case to be bound over. As long as the criminal act matches the criteria of the crime layed out by each individual state, you go with the higher offense. The incident described involving the LSU FB player would fall under the guidelines of my State's laws against possession with the intent to distribute. Don't blame the officer, we only enforce the laws, while the State Legislators write them.

Are there a-holes with badges? Sure there are but I don't agree that it's any more than any other profession. I make no excuse for the bad cops because it just makes my job that much more difficult. I'm sure you're a law abiding person, 88. I just believe your view of police officers might be a little scewed for whatever reason(s). Once again, if your local police department has a ride along program, I suggest you try it. You'll have a good time and it just might open your eyes to what law enforcement has to deal with on a daily basis. I work for the 2nd largest department in my State and it's 75% business as ususal, 20% action and 5% hell.

War Eagle!

219247[/snapback]

Just to reiterate, I have all the respect in the world for most cops and am very grateful for what they do. However, e.g., if you have a bank teller who is an a-hole no big deal. A cop who is an a-hole is a totally different animal and much more dangerous to your civil liberties.

My whole reason for beeetching on this thread was the bs of the charge and the "correct" assumption that the guy is a drug dealer. There is not enough evidence and what there is is extremely circumstantial. Two bags of pot do not make a drug dealer not even when combined with $3,000 cash. Plenty of plausible explanantions for how both items are in his possession that don't involve dealing drugs. However, now the guy is forced to prove that the 3,000 is legit. That is NOT the principles this country was founded on imo.

Peace stat, and keep up the great work.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tim hit the nail on the head.  Look at how many times the few people on our board, who are in law enforcement, have talked about getting shot at.  Now look at the salary they do this for.  Are you kidding me? 

That's one reason I'm sitting here in my nice, heated office on a cold day outside, reading and typing on an AUnation forum.  Me and bullets don't quite jeehaw.   :no:

Thanks for your service guys. :thumbsup:

219312[/snapback]

You would think more people would want to shoot at lawyers than cops. :big:

Tim hit the nail on the head.  Look at how many times the few people on our board, who are in law enforcement, have talked about getting shot at.  Now look at the salary they do this for.  Are you kidding me? 

That's one reason I'm sitting here in my nice, heated office on a cold day outside, reading and typing on an AUnation forum.  Me and bullets don't quite jeehaw.   :no:

Thanks for your service guys. :thumbsup:

219312[/snapback]

You would think more people would want to shoot at lawyers then cops. :big:

219443[/snapback]

Hey wait a minute, although he whines about his pay you can't talk about my laywer that way :poke:

Archived