LSU Senior Arrested

Guest Tigrinum Major

Even a lot of LSU fans disagree with the outcome of this. Here is a sample of comments from LSU Tiger Forum:

--"If the sherrif deputy was wrong..." Give me a break, he was doing his job and Jerry Jones the DA is a huge piece of ****.

--lesson learned by Wroten....I'm above the law. Meanwhile the deputy is wondering why even bother.

--I saw Wroten at the airport this morning and in speaking with him, the lesson learned was "I'm lucky as hell and I won't do that again."

--Why even bother to bust LSU players? They get off free every time. Notheing at all happens to these guys. NOTE: yes this was posted by an LSU fan!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunatly, these "dropped charges" seem to show up on campuses all over the country. Do you remember Antrell Rolle from Miami? The guy beats up a cop and the charges get dropped. Do you remember Odell Thurman from GA? He gets stopped at 3:00 AM in on a Saturday night in Athens in a brand new Escalade with the music blaring. The cops find empty liquor bottles and beer bottles and a small amount of weed in the vehicle. He is over the limit for being drunk. Guess what? The "charges got dropped".

Lets all go to Miami and beat up a cop or go to Athens and ride around drunk and see if the charges get dropped on us.

I'm sure it happens in tons of other places when we just never find out about it. Its a shame.

A couple of issues here. First off, as someone alluded to earlier, the police can walk around the car all they want and look in while the other officer talks to the driver. They can shine a flashlight as well and look for wahtever they want to. As long as the item is in plain view ie, I can see it by just looking around and not go into closed spaces or containers etc. it's fair game.

If something is found, then the rest of the car is fair game as well. The obvious thing here is that he was in control of the vehicle, therefore, he's going to be charged. In addition, if there are two or more people in the car and no one claims that bag of dope laying in the floorboard, everyone will be charged and let them sort it out themselves. I noted they claim the car belonged to someone else so I imagine he played that card to the hilt.

On the surface, it looks like preferential treatment. However, we really don't know much other than the little bit we see reported. They really may have actually screwed up the search and they had no choice other than to drop it. I just don't know with what's been written. Suffice it to say, Mr. Wroten IS a very lucky man and he'd better take advantage of this break and learn from it.

Do you remember Odell Thurman from GA? He gets stopped at 3:00 AM in on a Saturday night in Athens in a brand new Escalade with the music blaring. The cops find empty liquor bottles and beer bottles and a small amount of weed in the vehicle. He is over the limit for being drunk. Guess what? The "charges got dropped".

:lol:

I love how stories get passed along without the actual truth being told

He was not in a brand new Escalade but one that his 9th grade coach gave him that night. In addition, he was never found to be intoxicated at all...the open container charges were just because open cans/bottles were found in the way back of the car.

As for the weed....huh? No weed charges ever existed.

Oh, one more thing....

Thurman paid $200 for an improper lane change and playing music too loudly.

THAT THUG!!!!

http://onlineathens.com/stories/122903/dog_20031229013.shtml

really though! who plays music too loudly in a college town! they should've locked him up like otis in mayberry!

Wow...

For the record, I've been in law enforcement for 19 years. For those taking your shots at police officers, name me one profession that doesn't have a-holes? I take pride in my job, which is by far more than the credit I have received in my nearly 20 years of service. It comes with the territory, so I normally blow off comments made by individuals, who know very little of what they speak. I find it humorous how those who hate the police so much, are the first one's who will call for our assistance when they become victims.

It's amazing how our military is supported by the average Joe, when they return from combat but the same cannot be said of law enforcement. There are 90-100 officers killed every year in the line of duty but this rarely makes headlines or the National news. However, when someone with a badge breaks the law or violates someone's civil rights, it receives plenty of exposure.

Okay... I'm off my soap box now... :D

Wow...

For the record, I've been in law enforcement for 19 years. For those taking your shots at police officers, name me one profession that doesn't have a-holes? I take pride in my job, which is by far more than the credit I have received in my nearly 20 years of service. It comes with the territory, so I normally blow off comments made by individuals, who know very little of what they speak. I find it humorous how those who hate the police so much, are the first one's who will call for our assistance when they become victims.

It's amazing how our military is supported by the average Joe, when they return from combat but the same cannot be said of law enforcement. There are 90-100 officers killed every year in the line of duty but this rarely makes headlines or the National news. However, when someone with a badge breaks the law or violates someone's civil rights, it receives plenty of exposure.

Okay... I'm off my soap box now...  :D

219191[/snapback]

I just wish you guys would stop pulling me over! :big:

I just wish you guys would stop pulling me over! :big:

219193[/snapback]

:D

I've got two speeding tickets under my belt. :blink:

Speaking of speeding tickets, I always find it amusing when some poor motorist hires an attorney to represent him for an outrageous fee, when there are options available to the driver without needing an attorney. Years ago in traffic court, I used to hear those attorneys joke about bounding cases over to State Court so they could milk their clients for more court costs.

Wow...

Okay... I'm off my soap box now...  :D

219191[/snapback]

Stat,

Here's the thing. Most cops are good guys. I think it's fair to say that police have more than their share of a-holes though. The job description brings in more power hungry guys with an attitude. You probably don't have to deal with what others do nearly as much because you are a policeman yourself, part of the brotherhood. People will remember one big a-hole before they remember the 10 good cops that helped them, that's just the way it is sometimes.

And for the record again, I'm not poor mouthing cops in general, just the a-holes and the ones who trump up charges, like in this case, without good reason which you know happens everyday in every decent sized city in America. Overcharge them so they'll plea down. I have all the respect in the world and then some for good cops.

I don't think cops have an unusually high percent of a-holes. Every sizeable group has them......the workplace, the neighborhood, teachers, nurses, churches, etc. Even Auburn fans :big:

And did I mention lawyers? (auesquire excluded) :big::big:

I've had good experiences with cops, and bad ones. I realize, like stat said, there are A-holes in every profession.

For instance....getting a speeding ticket going 73 mph in a 70 mph zone in Cullman....That cop = a**hole. <_<

All in all, I respect the sacrafice cops make day in and day out. People take cops for granted, and I for one am not one of them.

I shouldn't have even been around it. This is the first time I've ever done something like that,

lets just assume the car belonged to...anybody else but wroten (sp). benifit of the doubt. let it slide. just a big misunderstanding. my bad, dawg.

but...you got DOPE IN YOUR FREAKIN SOCK! who do the socks belong to cuz? thats POSESSION of marijuana, aka vilolation of the louisiana controlled substance act.

tell the truth? i'm happy for him. marijuana should be decriminalized anyway.

Stat,

Here's the thing. Most cops are good guys. I think it's fair to say that police have more than their share of a-holes though. The job description brings in more power hungry guys with an attitude. You probably don't have to deal with what others do nearly as much because you are a policeman yourself, part of the brotherhood. People will remember one big a-hole before they remember the 10 good cops that helped them, that's just the way it is sometimes.

And for the record again, I'm not poor mouthing cops in general, just the a-holes and the ones who trump up charges, like in this case, without good reason which you know happens everyday in every decent sized city in America.  Overcharge them so they'll plea down. I have all the respect in the world and then some for good cops.

219208[/snapback]

1) In regards to your comment about our fair share of a-holes, I don't agree. Once again, every profession has them. I'm curious, just how often do you have contact with the police to make such a claim? Even if you were stopped ten times this year for speeding and 8 of the 10 officers were a-holes, how can you pass judgement on a department of 200 or 300 officers? It's all about perception. In my 19 years of service, I have won Officer of the Year three times and Officer of the month, 9 times. I have countless letters from victim's, who were grateful for my actions. I have never been suspended and believe me, that's hard to do in 19 years of service. If I'm 1 second late for the reading with no excuse, I'm suspended one day's pay. I've also had people file complaints because they were not satisfied with my job performance. I've sent suspects to the hospital because they resisted arrest. I'm quite sure these individuals consider me to be an a-hole. I have a simple rule of thumb. I treat people the way I would want to be treated but I can be the biggest a-hole if the person(s) I'm dealing with is shoveling it in my direction.

You probably don't have to deal with what others do nearly as much because you are a policeman yourself, part of the brotherhood.

In the last 9 years as a criminal investigator, I have arrested 4 of my fellow officers on felony charges. Yes, there is a brotherhood amongst officers but it's no different than the brotherhood of soldiers who spent time in combat. Since joining my department, 5 of my fellow officers have been killed in the line of duty. Two guys in my former patrol squad have been shot. I have been shot at twice. I can't count the number of times my brothers in my squad have come to my aid. We see it all and only another officer can truly understand what policing is really like. For this very reason, it becomes necessary for us to be close because our lives depend on it at times. I don't know where you live but I suggest riding with a patrol officer one night if you live in a major city. Most major departments have a "ride along" program. Keep in mind, law enforcement normally has the 2nd highest rate of suicide by profession. Four of my fellow officers have eaten a bullet because they finally snapped.

I'm not poor mouthing cops in general, just the a-holes and the ones who trump up charges, like in this case, without good reason which you know happens everyday in every decent sized city in America.  Overcharge them so they'll plea down.

You always go with the greater charge but not for the purpose of "trumping" up charges. In most cases, you cannot change the charge to a greater offense once an indictment has been made but it can always be lowered to a lesser offense. Even if you go with the greater charge, you still have to show probable cause in a preliminary hearing for the case to be bound over. As long as the criminal act matches the criteria of the crime layed out by each individual state, you go with the higher offense. The incident described involving the LSU FB player would fall under the guidelines of my State's laws against possession with the intent to distribute. Don't blame the officer, we only enforce the laws, while the State Legislators write them.

Are there a-holes with badges? Sure there are but I don't agree that it's any more than any other profession. I make no excuse for the bad cops because it just makes my job that much more difficult. I'm sure you're a law abiding person, 88. I just believe your view of police officers might be a little scewed for whatever reason(s). Once again, if your local police department has a ride along program, I suggest you try it. You'll have a good time and it just might open your eyes to what law enforcement has to deal with on a daily basis. I work for the 2nd largest department in my State and it's 75% business as ususal, 20% action and 5% hell.

War Eagle!

Stat,

And for the record again, I'm not poor mouthing cops in general, just the a-holes and the ones who trump up charges, like in this case, without good reason which you know happens everyday in every decent sized city in America.  Overcharge them so they'll plea down. I have all the respect in the world and then some for good cops.

219208[/snapback]

1) In regards to your comment about our fair share of a-holes, I don't agree. Once again, every profession has them. I'm curious, just how often do you have contact with the police to make such a claim? Even if you were stopped ten times this year for speeding and 8 of the 10 officers were a-holes, how can you pass judgement on a department of 200 or 300 officers? It's all about perception. In my 19 years of service, I have won Officer of the Year three times and Officer of the month, 9 times. I have countless letters from victim's, who were grateful for my actions. I have never been suspended and believe me, that's hard to do in 19 years of service. If I'm 1 second late for the reading with no excuse, I'm suspended one day's pay. I've also had people file complaints because they were not satisfied with my job performance. I've sent suspects to the hospital because they resisted arrest. I'm quite sure these individuals consider me to be an a-hole. I have a simple rule of thumb. I treat people the way I would want to be treated but I can be the biggest a-hole if the person(s) I'm dealing with is shoveling it in my direction.

You probably don't have to deal with what others do nearly as much because you are a policeman yourself, part of the brotherhood.

In the last 9 years as a criminal investigator, I have arrested 4 of my fellow officers on felony charges. Yes, there is a brotherhood amongst officers but it's no different than the brotherhood of soldiers who spent time in combat. Since joining my department, 5 of my fellow officers have been killed in the line of duty. Two guys in my former patrol squad have been shot. I have been shot at twice. I can't count the number of times my brothers in my squad have come to my aid. We see it all and only another officer can truly understand what policing is really like. For this very reason, it becomes necessary for us to be close because our lives depend on it at times. I don't know where you live but I suggest riding with a patrol officer one night if you live in a major city. Most major departments have a "ride along" program. Keep in mind, law enforcement normally has the 2nd highest rate of suicide by profession. Four of my fellow officers have eaten a bullet because they finally snapped.

I'm not poor mouthing cops in general, just the a-holes and the ones who trump up charges, like in this case, without good reason which you know happens everyday in every decent sized city in America.  Overcharge them so they'll plea down.

You always go with the greater charge but not for the purpose of "trumping" up charges. In most cases, you cannot change the charge to a greater offense once an indictment has been made but it can always be lowered to a lesser offense. Even if you go with the greater charge, you still have to show probable cause in a preliminary hearing for the case to be bound over. As long as the criminal act matches the criteria of the crime layed out by each individual state, you go with the higher offense. The incident described involving the LSU FB player would fall under the guidelines of my State's laws against possession with the intent to distribute. Don't blame the officer, we only enforce the laws, while the State Legislators write them.

Are there a-holes with badges? Sure there are but I don't agree that it's any more than any other profession. I make no excuse for the bad cops because it just makes my job that much more difficult. I'm sure you're a law abiding person, 88. I just believe your view of police officers might be a little scewed for whatever reason(s). Once again, if your local police department has a ride along program, I suggest you try it. You'll have a good time and it just might open your eyes to what law enforcement has to deal with on a daily basis. I work for the 2nd largest department in my State and it's 75% business as ususal, 20% action and 5% hell.

War Eagle!

219247[/snapback]

Here I thought he was doing nothing more than supplying us with very nifty stats. :big:

I had a pair of neighbors once who loved to scream and throw things at each other, nothing to hard (oranges and potatoes where their favorite weapons respectfully) but I like those cops. They had as much fun as I did, standing in front of the house watching one person throw stuff at the other.

Here I thought he was doing nothing more than supplying us with very nifty stats.  :big:

I had a pair of neighbors once who loved to scream and throw things at each other, nothing to hard (oranges and potatoes where their favorite weapons respectfully) but I like those cops. They had as much fun as I did, standing in front of the house watching one person throw stuff at the other.

219250[/snapback]

I work with a lot of Bama and Dog fans. Now those cops are some real a-holes! :roflol:

Stat thanks for all you do I am a manager of a restAUrant in homewood and the police come in and eat a lot and have helped me many times with problems that arise in our buisness we treat the police the the utmost respect, police officers are just doing there jobs just like everyone else

Stat,

219208[/snapback]

War Eagle!

219247[/snapback]

From the AJC 2/10

Prosecutors have declined to pursue a drug charge against LSU defensive end Claude Wroten Jr. who was arrested for marijuana possesion last month after a traffic stop.

Geez, I wonder what the rest of the story is? :blink:

Stat, did not know you are in LE. Good to know. I spent 4 1/2 yrs in LE in Lee County. I to have seen fellow officers arrested for stuff, those hurt in the line of duty, been shot at, and I was actually shot in the line of duty by a citizen I was trying to help, who called us!!!!!!!!!! I went back to work on patrol after recoveringfor a couple of more years, but the effects of being shot was my eventual biggest reason for leaving.

I'm sure Stat will agree with this....I always saw people this way, at least those we dealt with on a more regualr basis. The kids are trying to act like adults and the adults are acting like kids. Guys/Gals you have no idea what the typical day is like for a police officer on the streets. I have responded to a domestic call, dispatched as a fight in progress, only to get there to find out the man and woman, who are only considered married b/c they been living together for 12 years are verbally arguing b/c he will not give her the keys to the car, so she can go to the store. I kid you not!! Basically, police deal with the same, what do you think Stat, 10 to 15% of the population day in and day out, over and over again. Same couple fighting every weekend, same group of thugs stealing, etc. Stat, is right the majority of a shift is spent taking reports, maybe getting to stop some folks for traffic violations, school zones, running errands for staff, directing traffic whether construction or b/c of wreck, working wrecks. This is for a day shift. Night shifts are sometimes the busiest, at least the time from 6p to about midnight, but after that it may just be another 6 hrs of checking busiinesses to make sure they didn't get broke into (PRIORITY on night shift), maybe catching a drunk driver (loved making those arrests more than anything, my pet peeve (sp?).

Even though I am no longer a police officer, I still work closely with them as now I work with Emergency Management. I have great respect for those in LE that can stick it out for 5, 10, 20, even 30 years. It is a very difficult profession...stressful on so many different levels, hard on families, marriages, physically exhausting (hard to adjust shifting b/t working nights and days. I do trust police, I do know there are a few, very few, bad apples in the bunch, most of which may be the result of one bad decision. For any of you to second guess the decisions a police officer makes is CRAP!!!! It is the one profession that a man/woman has to make a decision in a split second whether someone is going to live or die. Who are any of us to say that officer was not scared for his life when the suspect they had been in a foot chase with for blocks suddenly stops and starts pulling something out of his coat?? Should he/she wait to see if it is a gun?? Shoot b/c it could be?? Do you want to make those decisions?? If he/she waits...it may be too late for them or fellow officer...If he/she shoots...suddenly everybody and their momma are experts. I'll get off my soap box now also.

What ever this young man from LSU gets, which looks like nothing, is a shame, I doubt he really will learn anything. I hope he has according to the commment he made. He can say all he wants about not knowing it was there, but I've heard that everytime an officer has made an arrest on persons in a car where dope was found. So, sorry I don't buy it. I will just pray he has learned and realizes the seriousness of what he did. Ok, I'm done

I have two uncles that are police officers. The work you guys do in no way compares to the pay you recieve.

Stat, THANK YOU for your service. Much like the men and women in the armed services, you folks lay your life on the line every day.

p.s. MY experience, having traveled all over the southeastern US for 14 years as a sales rep, Police officers/State Troopers USUALLY treat you as you treat them. If you want to be a jerk, they will be a jerk. The difference is they have radios to call other officers to join them. :thumbsup:

Stat, did not know you are in LE.  Good to know.  I spent 4 1/2 yrs in LE in Lee County.  I to have seen fellow officers arrested for stuff, those hurt in the line of duty, been shot at, and I was actually shot in the line of duty by a citizen I was trying to help, who called us!!!!!!!!!!  I went back to work on patrol after recoveringfor a couple of more years, but the effects of being shot was my eventual biggest reason for leaving.

I'm sure Stat will agree with this....I always saw people this way, at least those we dealt with on a more regualr basis.  The kids are trying to act like adults and the adults are acting like kids.  Guys/Gals you have no idea what the typical day is like for a police officer on the streets.  I have responded to a domestic call, dispatched as a fight in progress, only to get there to find out the man and woman, who are only considered married b/c they been living together for 12 years are verbally arguing b/c he will not give her the keys to the car, so she can go to the store.  I kid you not!!  Basically, police deal with the same, what do you think Stat, 10 to 15% of the population day in and day out, over and over again.  Same couple fighting every weekend, same group of thugs stealing, etc.  Stat, is right the majority of a shift is spent taking reports, maybe getting to stop some folks for traffic violations, school zones, running errands for staff, directing traffic whether construction or b/c of wreck, working wrecks.  This is for a day shift.  Night shifts are sometimes the busiest, at least the time from 6p to about midnight, but after that it may just be another 6 hrs of checking busiinesses to make sure they didn't get broke into (PRIORITY on night shift), maybe catching a drunk driver (loved making those arrests more than anything, my pet peeve (sp?). 

Even though I am no longer a police officer, I still work closely with them as now I work with Emergency Management.  I have great respect for those in LE that can stick it out for 5, 10, 20, even 30 years.  It is a very difficult profession...stressful on so many different levels, hard on families, marriages, physically exhausting (hard to adjust shifting b/t working nights and days.  I do trust police, I do know there are a few, very few, bad apples in the bunch, most of which may be the result of one bad decision.  For any of you to second guess the decisions a police officer makes is CRAP!!!!  It is the one profession that a man/woman has to make a decision in a split second whether someone is going to live or die.  Who are any of us to say that officer was not scared for his life when the suspect they had been in a foot chase with for blocks suddenly stops and starts pulling something out of his coat??  Should he/she wait to see if it is a gun??  Shoot b/c it could be??  Do you want to make those decisions??  If he/she waits...it may be too late for them or fellow officer...If he/she shoots...suddenly everybody and their momma are experts.  I'll get off my soap box now also.

What ever this young man from LSU gets, which looks like nothing, is a shame, I doubt he really will learn anything.  I hope he has according to the commment he made.  He can say all he wants about not knowing it was there, but I've heard that everytime an officer has made an arrest on persons in a car where dope was found.  So, sorry I don't buy it.  I will just pray he has learned and realizes the seriousness of what he did. Ok, I'm done

219300[/snapback]

Thanks for all you did and what you are doing now. I guess it's human nature but people just don't seem to have the proper respect for LE until they need them.

Tim hit the nail on the head. Look at how many times the few people on our board, who are in law enforcement, have talked about getting shot at. Now look at the salary they do this for. Are you kidding me?

That's one reason I'm sitting here in my nice, heated office on a cold day outside, reading and typing on an AUnation forum. Me and bullets don't quite jeehaw. :no:

Thanks for your service guys. :thumbsup:

Tim hit the nail on the head.  Look at how many times the few people on our board, who are in law enforcement, have talked about getting shot at.  Now look at the salary they do this for.  Are you kidding me? 

That's one reason I'm sitting here in my nice, heated office on a cold day outside, reading and typing on an AUnation forum.  Me and bullets don't quite jeehaw.  :no:

Thanks for your service guys. :thumbsup:

219312[/snapback]

Yeah sitting there enjoying my retainer :big:

Archived