Coach Whitt and AU Diversity

aucanucktiger

Joe Whitt is a legend. He's a humble and enormously capable coach, old school that kept up with the times.

This brings up another sore topic that looks more festered each year. With all the terrific coaches out there that also happen to be black, why do we not hire a more diverse coaching staff instead of just exchanging the 1 black coach in a major coaching position our football team has ever had for a new black coach. What's the problem, do we have a 1 black coach quota? Even if the admin/coaching staff doesn't buy the moral (albeit sometimes whiney) issues of diversity, look at it more selfishly and consider the national image of most SEC schools including ours. It's not like you can't have a great coaching staff that's something other than lilly white. There was a thread here last week about the Fisher Report and AU having really bad public relations skills. The first consideration should be the caliber of the coach, but our ratio of black coaches on staff to the number of qualifed black coaches out there (and I mean by AU standards), is abismal.

James Willis will represent AU well and with a defensive mind like Tubbs as the head coach, James couldn't have better on the job training. Good luck to Coach Whitt: a gentleman, a great coach and one of the great Auburn men of all time.

Joe Whitt is a legend. He's a humble and enormously capable coach, old school that kept up with the times.

This brings up another sore topic that looks more festered each year. With all the terrific coaches out there that also happen to be black, why do we not hire a more diverse coaching staff instead of just exchanging the 1 black coach in a major coaching position our football team has ever had for a new black coach. What's the problem, do we have a 1 black coach quota? Even if the admin/coaching staff doesn't buy the moral (albeit sometimes whiney) issues of diversity, look at it more selfishly and consider the national image of most SEC schools including ours. It's not like you can't have a great coaching staff that's something other than lilly white. There was a thread here last week about the Fisher Report and AU having really bad public relations skills. The first consideration should be the caliber of the coach, but our ratio of black coaches on staff to the number of qualifed black coaches out there (and I mean by AU standards), is abismal.

James Willis will represent AU well and with a defensive mind like Tubbs as the head coach, James couldn't have better on the job training. Good luck to Coach Whitt: a gentleman, a great coach and one of the great Auburn men of all time.

217808[/snapback]

I'm all for diversity. But I'm also for getting the best available person that fits your scheme. We had two openings come up, DC and LB coach. I think we got the best defensive coordinator candidate available in Muschamp. The only black DCs that probably deserved mention were Tyrone Nix and Charlie Strong and I don't think either of them can be demonstrated to have been a superior hire.

What about Coach Knox and Coach Price? I'm not saying that that makes it even, but its not as though CTT is against hiring a black coach if he demonstrates his ability. If a black guy is the best candidate, give the black guy the job. Frankly, I'm sick of this discussion coming up any time a coaching change occurs. To me, the fact that we are having this discussion is a bigger indicator that we still have a ways to go. Why don't we let this rest this time. Races has nothing to do with it.

I say hire the best man (Will Muschamp), as the previous poster pointed out, none of the candidates for the job had the resume or credentials of Muschamp.

Correct, as I indicated more than once in my post, the best person for the job should get the job. The discussion is not about Muschamp's hiring, can't think of a better hire than him...right now, for this position. The discussion is about the bigger picture of our record over the years. Joe Whitt has been @ AU since '81 and done an EXCELLENT job. Exactly how many other black football coaches have we had since he was hired? How many were good choices for an opening, available, and we didn't go after them? That's right, sometimes you have to go after a coach...especially if you have a reputation for not exactly being a welcome mat for intellegient (versus whiney liberal) diversity. Dont "get sick and tired" of this subject so quickly, this board regularly is full of outrage about how we're perceived outside our region and this is ignorance we can, at least partially, correct. I also agree there's no way Tubbs gives a rip about the color of anybody's skin, but he's not the only factor in deciding candidates for jobs...even within the Ath. Dept. Part of the problem is the xenophobic attitude of other parts of the country toward the SEC, and we could make more of an effort to educate (and show) qualified black coaches from other parts of the country that AU, our state and our region are not scenes out of "Mississippi Burning".

217808[/snapback]

I'm all for diversity. But I'm also for getting the best available person that fits your scheme. We had two openings come up, DC and LB coach. I think we got the best defensive coordinator candidate available in Muschamp. The only black DCs that probably deserved mention were Tyrone Nix and Charlie Strong and I don't think either of them can be demonstrated to have been a superior hire.

217809[/snapback]

I agree. Why are we even discussing this? I don't care if the coach is black, white, asian, Native american, or hispanic, as long as he gets the job done and Auburn wins. Muschamp was my first choice and I'm pleased that we got him.

I will miss coach Whitt because he's done a great job and he's been around since Dye came in and turned our program around. Plus, you look at all the linebackers that he put into the pros. I hope the move was a choice that Joe made and not one that he was forced into, because he's giving alot to Auburn and he's a great coach and a great recruiter. I wish nothing but the best for coach Whitt.

Correct, as I indicated more than once in my post, the best person for the job should get the job. The discussion is not about Muschamp's hiring, can't think of a better hire than him...right now, for this position. The discussion is about the bigger picture of our record over the years. Joe Whitt has been @ AU since '81 and done an EXCELLENT job. Exactly how many other black football coaches have we had since he was hired? How many were good choices for an opening, available, and we didn't go after them? That's right, sometimes you have to go after a coach...especially if you have a reputation for not exactly being a welcome mat for intellegient (versus whiney liberal) diversity. Dont "get sick and tired" of this subject so quickly, this board regularly is full of outrage about how we're perceived outside our region and this is ignorance we can, at least partially, correct. I also agree there's no way Tubbs gives a rip about the color of anybody's skin, but he's not the only factor in deciding candidates for jobs...even within the Ath. Dept. Part of the problem is the xenophobic attitude of other parts of the country toward the SEC, and we could make more of an effort to educate (and show) qualified black coaches from other parts of the country that AU, our state and our region are not scenes out of "Mississippi Burning".

217868[/snapback]

The very fact that anyone would come on this board or any other public forum and complain that Auburn "didn't hire a black coach" is in and of itself RACIST.

This continuous double standard enrages me. Who cares what color the person is. Why should Auburn -- or any other school, business or government entity -- be required to consider skin color in hiring? No one should be required to interview or hire anyone simply because they are of a certain ethnicity.

The very fact that anyone would come on this board or any other public forum and complain that Auburn "didn't hire a black coach" is in and of itself RACIST.

This continuous double standard enrages me. Who cares what color the person is. Why should Auburn -- or any other school, business or government entity -- be required to consider skin color in hiring? No one should be required to interview or hire anyone simply because they are of a certain ethnicity.

:thumbsup:

the poster isn't saying you are REQUIRED to seek out minority candidates. he's simply asking if it wouldn't be a good idea. i tend to agree. i think it would be a good idea, and a great pr move. there are qualified minority (not just black... norm chow for example) candidates, and i wish sec schools would seek them out. msu, for example, has an unlimited amount of good pub now as long as they give croom a fair shake (and i'm in starkville. he's going to get a 4 or 5 year chance to succeed).

it's not about a requirement. it would just be a good idea to have a strong minority presence on the staff since our team is majority black and a number of the areas we recruit are as well.

as for "other government entities," they should be required in my opinion because they represent the populace. if there's a huge racial discrepancy, it had better be reflected in the state's population as well. if not, there's a problem, and they should be required to adopt more equitable hiring practices. that doesn't apply to a football program though

217808[/snapback]

I agree with this original post. Let's face facts. White Southerners have to try harder just so we are NOT called racists. We are guilty until proven innocent, and even then we're still under suspicion for life. So, by trying harder, maybe we could make it a point to demonstrate publicly, "Hey! We're not afraid to hire black coaches. Send us your resumes." We all know there are certainly a lot of qualified black coaches who would jump at the chance to coach for AU. We rock. We're Auburn.

If you're a person who looks for the good in everything, call it pro-active harmoniousness. If you're a cynic, call it PR spin or maybe even an attempt to "relate" to some of these young recruits. Maybe its all of those things, but I don't think its a bad idea.

Hell, maybe we could have Jesse Jackson come lead the gameday crowd at Jordan-Hare in a few "War Eagles!" The more I think about this idea, the more I love it.

Anyway, I'm thankful for our coaching staff as it is right this second. They're doing a good job. But when positions come open, we might just follow Spike Lee's advice and Do the Right Thing.

Preach on, Brother Man, and War Eagle!

I don't really understand the point here. The PLAYERS don't seem to have a problem with the racial makeup of the coaching staff. Didn't CTT fire an assistant ON THE SPOT last year for making a racial remark?

This thread serves to do nothing but stir up trouble where there is none. This is not an issue on this team.

You sure your not a bammer in disguise? Hmm...

I don't really understand the point here. The PLAYERS don't seem to have a problem with the racial makeup of the coaching staff. Didn't CTT fire an assistant ON THE SPOT last year for making a racial remark?

This thread serves to do nothing but stir up trouble where there is none. This is not an issue on this team.

You sure your not a bammer in disguise? Hmm...

217891[/snapback]

I may be full of sh-t sometimes. Maybe even about this. But I sure as hell am no bammer, so I hope you're not referring to me. Besides a bammer could never come up with the word "harmoniousness."

I'm in full agreement with the majority that have posted on this thread. Race played no part in this hiring. To even bring it up smacks of racism. CTT has demonstrated time and again that he knows what he is doing. Crying about race does get to be tedious ... especially here on this team where it has never been an issue. The whole objective with CTT is talented and quality players and coaches with race not being a part of the equation. I for one believe it should stay that way.

WAR EAGLE!!!

I agree that racism didn't play a role in the hire. I am am not entirely convinced that racism does not play a role when people refuse to discuss racism.

Having said that, I'm afraid I don't have anything else to contribute to the conversation. Given 2 quality candidates, I think CTT should hire the one that fits in best with the coaches he has on staff already. That isn't decided by skin color (I hope) and only he and his staff know who fits in best.

I have the impression the majority of players are minorities (StatTiger?) which would suggest that we should there should be more mnority coaches. I suppose that it could be a work in progress. We had the 1st African American players in SEC schools 40 years ago right? How long ago did the proportion become greater than 50:50? I imagine there would be a lag.

Good lord people, stay with me here. The post is enitled "Coach Whitt and AU Diversity". The point has nothing to do with the hiring of Will Muschamp. Somebody interjected that in the post after the fact. This is the damage done by idiots like Jesse Jackson: as soon as you mention "diversity" everybody puckers up and says "here we go again." Read the original post before you freak out. We hire very few black coaches and we just happen to hire James Willis when coach Whitt is stepping aside? That doesn't look like filling the "token black coach" slot at all? Think outside the box and stay calm. Somebody hit the nail on the head when they pointed out the rest of the country is biggoted toward southerners, that southerners have to (unfairly) work extra hard to overcome the stereotyping of the south by, e.g. Hollywood. I love AU and I'm not spewing the intellectually lazy affirmative action rhetoric it looks like some people assumed when they posted. Just relax and think about it.

Good lord people, stay with me here. The post is enitled "Coach Whitt and AU Diversity". The point has nothing to do with the hiring of Will Muschamp. Somebody interjected that in the post after the fact. This is the damage done by idiots like Jesse Jackson: as soon as you mention "diversity" everybody puckers up and says "here we go again." Read the original post before you freak out. We hire very few black coaches and we just happen to hire James Willis when coach Whitt is stepping aside? That doesn't look like filling the "token black coach" slot at all? Think outside the box and stay calm. Somebody hit the nail on the head when they pointed out the rest of the country is biggoted toward southerners, that southerners have to (unfairly) work extra hard to overcome the stereotyping of the south by, e.g. Hollywood. I love AU and I'm not spewing the intellectually lazy affirmative action rhetoric it looks like some people assumed when they posted. Just relax and think about it.

217995[/snapback]

I think Terry Price, Greg Knox and Chette Williams probably don't consider themselves "tokens". The use of this term offends me. What are you thinking?

There are nine assistant coaches at AU. Three of them are black.

TYou have absolutely no point. I don't give a crap about overcoming some northerner's perception and I could give two toots in a tornado what Hollyweird thinks of the South. Why should anyone have to "work hard" to overcome something that doesn't exist except in the minds of people who don't even live or work here?

You relax and quit worrying about what people who don't know their butt from a Christmas tree think.

"Why should anyone have to "work hard" to overcome something that doesn't exist except in the minds of people who don't even live or work here?"

I understand your point and it's legitimate. We've all heard the ESPN knuckleheads in CT (e.g. John Saunders) discuss AU like it's a klan rally...when they probably haven't spent time in AU except for a quick in and out for College Gameday. The other point of view (the one I'm espousing) is that AU folks are concerned about our alma mater's reputation in the eyes of the rest of the country. Some people say you should only be concerned about the opinions of people you respect, but that doesn't work for an institution issuing degrees that effect alumni lives for years after graduation. "Token black coach" in the context of the argument illustrates that if the idea is that we are limited in the number of coaches we can hire from a particular societal group, that position is obsurd (thus the quotes). My issue that Coach Whitt's moving on coincides neatly with one of our unusual hirings of a black coach (and that it suggests a "slot" was now open to be filled by another black coach) is also legitimate. It may not be what was intended, but it may appear that way to the shut-in from Chicago you're interviewing with next week. It's a bit like the idea that Sandra Day O'Conner is retiring so then and only then should a female condidate be considered for the Court. It's plastic diversity, hiring for the sake of keeping a quota in place rather than legitimately considering the entire spectrum of coaches out there ALL THE TIME, whether a minority coach is moving on or not. Again this is NOT a commentary on the hiring of Coach Muschamp (see above). It's an honest argument, not a conclusion in stone.

"Why should anyone have to "work hard" to overcome something that doesn't exist except in the minds of people who don't even live or work here?"

I understand your point and it's legitimate. We've all heard the ESPN knuckleheads in CT (e.g. John Saunders) discuss AU like it's a klan rally...when they probably haven't spent time in AU except for a quick in and out for College Gameday. The other point of view (the one I'm espousing) is that AU folks are  concerned about our alma mater's reputation in the eyes of the rest of the country. Some people say you should only be concerned about the opinions of people you respect, but that doesn't work for an institution issuing degrees that effect alumni lives for years after graduation. "Token black coach" in the context of the argument illustrates that if the idea is that we are limited in the number of coaches we can hire from a particular societal group, that position is obsurd (thus the quotes). My issue that Coach Whitt's moving on coincides neatly with one of our unusual hirings of a black coach (and that it suggests a "slot" was now open to be filled by another black coach) is also legitimate. It may not be what was intended, but it may appear that way to the shut-in from Chicago you're interviewing with next week. It's a bit like the idea that Sandra Day O'Conner is retiring so then and only then should a female condidate be considered for the Court. It's plastic diversity, hiring for the sake of keeping a quota in place rather than legitimately considering the entire spectrum of coaches out there ALL THE TIME, whether a minority coach is moving on or not. Again this is NOT a commentary on the hiring of Coach Muschamp (see above). It's an honest argument, not a conclusion in stone.

218052[/snapback]

Auburn had two openings on its coaching staff and only two. For one of them a black coach was hired. For another, a white coach. For both, Auburn got the best possible person for the job. If you see anything else, I submit that the problem lies with you.

"Auburn had two openings on its coaching staff and only two. For one of them a black coach was hired. For another, a white coach. For both, Auburn got the best possible person for the job. If you see anything else, I submit that the problem lies with you."

Well I submit your criptic responses are emotional without the apparent benefit of the contemplation the nuances of this topic deserve, from your incorrect assumption in the first place that I was referring to Muschamp, which is nowhere in any of my original post, to your personal attacks on me for discussing this unpopular topic that effects our alma mater. The wafer thin depth to some of the other posts on this thread are disappointing as well. If you have a different point of view how about some rational discussion instead of lashing out like a spoiled frat boy. Leave the pithy, hollow one liners to the Bammers. Then again, even though this topic goes to the heart of our football program, maybe we shouldn't stray beyond TDs on this board.

The issue I tried to invite discussion on is NOT limited to the narrow "two opening" window of time you bring up, it goes back at least to Coach Whitt's hiring in 1981 (see the thread topic). War Eagle, let's move on.

I missed "the point" somewhere. Coach Joe Whitt, a man that I admire and have admired for many years, has decided to make a change(To suuggest otherwise is calling him a liar) that he feels is in the best interest of his family.

I say "Thank You Coach" and I wish you all the best as you continue to serve our beloved University. Hopefully this change will allow you the opportunity to spend more time with your family. I appreciate the sacfrifices you have made over these many years in your service to Auburn. We owe you a debt that can never be repaid. You have shown great loyalty and dedication and you have set an example for AU men and women to follow.

I hope Coach Tubs hires the BEST Coach available that fits into the situation and mixes in well with the rest of the coaches. If that person is orange with blue spots...HIRE HIM. In other words, the color of his skin does not concern me one little bit. I am concerned about the content of his character and his coaching abilities. Anything else is just stupid and a waste of time for all those concerned.

If we can find someone with anything close to the character that Coach Whitt has displayed, we will be truly blessed.

"At Auburn, the ONLY colors that matter are ORANGE & BLUE."- Coach Pat Dye :au:

W D E ! ! ! :au:

"Auburn had two openings on its coaching staff and only two. For one of them a black coach was hired. For another, a white coach. For both, Auburn got the best possible person for the job. If you see anything else, I submit that the problem lies with you."

Well I submit your criptic responses are emotional without the apparent benefit of the contemplation the nuances of this topic deserve, from your incorrect assumption in the first place that I was referring to Muschamp, which is nowhere in any of my original post, to your personal attacks on me for discussing this unpopular topic that effects our alma mater. The wafer thin depth to some of the other posts on this thread are disappointing as well. If you have a different point of view how about some rational discussion instead of lashing out like a spoiled frat boy. Leave the pithy, hollow one liners to the Bammers. Then again, even though this topic goes to the heart of our football program, maybe we shouldn't stray beyond TDs on this board.

The issue I tried to invite discussion on is NOT limited to the narrow "two opening" window of time you bring up, it goes back at least to Coach Whitt's hiring in 1981 (see the thread topic). War Eagle, let's move on.

218400[/snapback]

There are no nuances, no subtle inferences, no hidden agendas and no thinly veiled overtones.

The responses are cryptic because nothing else needs to be said. In case you hadn't noticed, one thing I'm not is short of words. If there's a point to discuss, I can write a novel.

No one is lashing, no one is attacking. It's this type of ridiculous oversensitivity that creates problems where none exist.

You try to "invite discussion" on a topic that has no merit and then get upset when no one cares to involve themselves in a discussion of a vapor.

I agree. Move on.

Archived