Auburn Staff, how does it rate?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Auburn Staff, how does it rate?

• Best in SEC?
    • Possibly Best in SEC?
    • Improved, but still needs work?
    • Weaker than in 2004
    • Going downhill?

With the hiring of Coach Will Muschamp and Coach James Willis how has that changed your perception of the staff within the SEC?

I believe that it is the best in the SEC, but with a new D coord. and LB coach, I think you have to wait to see a season played out to really know. I would like to see a more dedicated coach for the special teams. Any word on how this will be addressed with the new staff, or if it will be addressed?

:nanner::au::nanner:

Willis is an old Johnson-Huntsville star who went on to Auburn as one of it's great LB's. Spent about 7 years as a NFL'er. Came back to Auburn as a grad asst. under CTT. Coached at Rhode Island under Tim Stowers, a Grissom-Huntsville guy who played at Auburn, was a grad asst. at Auburn, who later took Erik Russell's place at Georgia Southern, won a National Championship, was Coach of the Year, was Kodak Coach of the Year, and was Willis mentor at Rhode Island as head coach.

Stowers says that Willis is another Rodney Gardner for AU recruiting.....

I say we otay...

We'll know in a couple of years. Willis won't fill Whitt's shoes anytime soon. D coordinator should be better.

yeah i think with muschamp the defense is going to be much improved. i have a really good feeling about 06 we are well on our way to our goal of a national championship. the future looks bright for the auburn tigers

I think that the defense will be AT LEAST as good as this year. Given a couple of years to mature into the job, this staff will have the best D in the country. Now we just need to be able to keep Borges around a few more years.

I think that the defense will be AT LEAST as good as this year. Given a couple of years to mature into the job, this staff will have the best D in the country. Now we just need to be able to keep Borges around a few more years.

218456[/snapback]

Trey Blackmon, If any of you have seen him practice, you'd know he is a beast. Im telling you, 5 games into the season he will be starting. He laid down some monster hits in the bowl practices.

You are right AWK. If he can put on a little weight, he will be a GREAT one. :au:

this staff top to bottom on paper is the best staff in the SEC, and could very well be one of the top 5 in the country. Results have yet to be seen, and I will miss Coach Whitt being on the sidelines, but maybe he had other things he wanted to accomplish. I wouldn't trade anybody on our staff with anybody else.....

Can we start 2006 season next weekend???

I'm in the camp that asks, "Who would you trade our staff for?" Nobody's!

However, like another poster pointed out, I would still like to see more emphasis on special teams. It would be nice to look at that phase of the team and know it's a real weapon as opposed to holding our collective breath when we kick a filed goal or kick off.

Why are some people down on special teams? Except for LSU (5 missed FGs, Skyler Green punt return TD), I thought special teams were solid all season. Weren't we #1 in the nation for most / all of the season in kickoff returns. Once Matt Clark replaced Kutch, kickoffs went fine, and both punt and KO coverage teams have been strong for years. I know you're thinking TRE SMITH, TRE SMITH, TRE SMITH, but, prior to getting the dropsies, wasn't he at / near the top of the SEC in punt return avg? Obviously there were mistakes that needed to be corrected, but, on balance, it seems to me that coaches got it done. Thoughts?

218456[/snapback]

Trey Blackmon, If any of you have seen him practice, you'd know he is a beast. Im telling you, 5 games into the season he will be starting. He laid down some monster hits in the bowl practices.

218487[/snapback]

I wouldn't be suprised to see him starting at the beginning of the year myself.

Archived